• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Got the Burst bug—Custom Authentics?

Skullbros

It's been quite a few years since I parted company with my last Lester, a mid-70s black Custom that absolutely refused to play in tune, despite my myriad efforts to bring it to heel. I've been hankering for a honeyburst like the one Mick Taylor played in '72. I found a guy selling an '01 Custom Authentic with no paperwork. I did some research and they seem to be similar to Historics but with some work done to age the guitar and its parts in a subtle way. The seller seems to think that this commands a premium. I'm not so sure. What do you all think of that particular model/year and what are they worth, range-wise?

Cody

The guitar itself IS a Historic. The ones I remember seeing were R8's - the early ones came with Grover tuners.
From what I understand, the Custom Authentic treatment was just a mild faux aging, like VOS is now - mostly just gunk to make it less shiny. If I'm wrong, I'll be corrected soon.

I wouldn't pay an upcharge for a Custom Authentic, unless the top or sound/playability warranted it. If I could score a more recent used R8 for about the same price, that's how I would go.

Skullbros

The guitar itself IS a Historic. The ones I remember seeing were R8's - the early ones came with Grover tuners.
From what I understand, the Custom Authentic treatment was just a mild faux aging, like VOS is now - mostly just gunk to make it less shiny. If I'm wrong, I'll be corrected soon.

I wouldn't pay an upcharge for a Custom Authentic, unless the top or sound/playability warranted it. If I could score a more recent used R8 for about the same price, that's how I would go.

Thanks man. Yep, it's got Grovers on it and it's an R8. That's my understanding too re the CA treatment. He's asking $3k, which seems a tad steep to me. It does have a nice top, however.

houndog31

You are correct.

J.D.

Actually CA finished guitars were an upcharge over gloss finish, replaced by the VOS finish around 2006 which is actually lower priced than gloss. CA was basically a Murphy without the finish weather checking feature.

gibson-r8

The 2001 and some 2002 R8's are the best. $3k is reasonable if it is in good condition and if you like the neck.