• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2012 Les Paul

honeyburstme

First, Hello everyone and Happy 2014. It's been a while since I have been on this website. Insanity finally came to an end as I finally pulled away from my PRS obsession and went back to playing Gibson's again!

In the Summer I picked up an ES339 which I love and for a Christmas/50 Birthday present my beautiful wife help to fund a 2012 premium Les Paul Standard purchase.

lp.jpg

My new Les Paul is probably the Best Sounding Les Paul I have owned to date.

Now, I knew about the wood confiscation that happened in late 2011, but wasn't really sure how it impacted the guitars until I started to do some reading.

I can see how the sandwiched rosewood could have an impact on the guitar, but I would think years down the line should I need a re-fret. But has anyone had any bad experiences with these guitars now because of these sandwiched fingerboards?

Because of the purchase (a 50th B-day present) I am not concerned about resale. Anyone own a 2012 and are having issues now? Just curious..........

joemags54

Happy New Year HB.:salude If you run a search you will quickly find A LOT written on this topic. I do not have a "dog in this race" but always enjoyed reading the repartee that all would offer on this issue. (This is a great place for topical discussions). Hopefully some will join in with personal experience. P.S. Welcome to the 5th decade! (I'm about to leave it, this October!). ... Enjoy your git, and as always, use it in good health.

TBR623

I owned 14 Les Paul's over the years-the majority being Historic Reissues. I currently have an R8 with one of the first pair of Throbak PG-102's that became available and at least for now-I am VERY pleased.

I have played several 2012 R8 and R9's-Gibson has stepped up their quality control but you have to find a guitar that you can bond with. Unfortunately their ,at least IMO, been duds in every batch-its just the nature of the beast. Other than "tone" which is of course is a matter of taste, I've seen many earlier Historics with oddly mounted bridge studs, incorrect neck angles and poor finishing which for a "custom shop" instrument is unacceptable.I think this fretboard issue is of no concern.Enjoy it and play it in good health and worry NOT!

PRS makes great instruments-with absolute perfection to detail-but if you want a LP- you have to buy a LP.