• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Johnny A vs. PRS HB II

FiveG

Presently suffering from a bad case of GAS, I am considering the Gibson Johnny A (based on seeing him, the tone in his CDs, and comments on this board), and also a PRS HB II with Piezo (based on playing it). Unfortunately, I can't find any dealers with the Johnny A locally (central CT). I was hoping someone who has played either or both might be able to give a comparison of the two guitars -- tone, neck feel, playability, versatility, etc.

Thanks.

FiveG

Desertdawg

The Johnny A is a great guitar. Make sure you get one with a Bigsby.

There's a Johnny A guitar register site somewhere that can give you a lot more info.

Meantime, think of a small archtop tone with typical Gibson neck design and humbucking PUs. Quite unique in its' way.

The PRS? It's just another PRS. Some like 'em.

The final choice is probably between a unique or a somewhat generic guitar.

CR9

Yes the Johnny A. has a 25 1/2 scale. I prefer the Johnny A. over PRS. The JA seems to me to be a hand made guitar while the PRS is a cookie cutter machine made one. I have seen the JA's being made in person but only seen videos of the PRS. Probably the PRS would have better quality control as the machines are more uniform. More info:

Gibson JA specs

Johnny A. Guitar Registry

JA forum

professor

Cloud9 said:
Yes the Johnny A. has a 25 1/2 scale. I prefer the Johnny A. over PRS. The JA seems to me to be a hand made guitar while the PRS is a cookie cutter machine made one.
That's a bit of a stretch, on both counts.

Desertdawg

The three Johnny A's I tried were perfect "out of the box." Yes, it has the longer scale just like the Super 400 and L5 archtops.

FiveG

Waaaaah!!!! :## Here I was all prepared to go with the PRS HB II, but now you guys have made me second guess!

Perhaps those who have tried the Johnny A can help here: what is the neck shape like? The PRS HB II neck was called a "wide fat," which felt to me much thicker than my 97 LP Standard or my '81 ES347. If anyone can compare the Johnny A neck shape with other guitars -- even a PRS Wide thin -- I'd appreciate it.

FiveG

vibro

Hi. I own a Johnny A. I can't really compare it to the PRS HB because I've not played that PRS model in many moons and never played one plugged in. It's very tough to choose between guitars at this price level without having played them -and of course I don't know what your personal taste are - so I'll just share my own experience with the Johnny A.

The Johnny A's neck feels to me to be a tad wider than a typical Les Paul neck (but not a lot wider). I find its thickness to be almost perfect and a great blend with the width of the neck. It produces a unique feel - but neck feel is very subjective. It reminds me a bit of a modern strat neck but thicker - and it's not unlike some regular PRS solidbody necks I've played - except that I find it more comfortable (perhaps its not quite so wide).

I bought my JA from Saul at Centre City in San Diego without a chance to play it as they are hard to locate in stores. The JA is a truly unique and great instrument. I finally played "out" with it about 2 weeks ago and it cooked!

If you are used to humbuckers, be aware that the Johnny A is a much spankier / twangier guitar than your typical Gibson (or PRS for that matter) due to its neck scale and ebony fretboard. In my opinion, it fuses classic Gibson / Fender tones very successfully and comes close to being a one-guitar does all instrument.

Happy hunting.

vibro

One last thought - Johnny A did NOT use or have a Johnny A signature guitar for use on his first album (Sometime Tuesday Morning) - its only on his second album that it is used.

CR9

I did own a Johnny A. but had to sell it for a financial crisis. I am planning on getting another JA soon. I agree with vibro and what he says about the neck. I have played well over a dozen of the JA's but only 2 or 3 PRS HB's. Not all of the JA's have the same profile as each neck is profiled by hand. A few extra seconds on the sander and that neck becomes smaller. I have watched the Gibson Custom Shop build JA's and have seen every step involved so I am more fond of the JA. I am biased towards the JA, but would also like to own a PRS HB2.

If you do not have a chance to play both of them in an A/B setting, you must trust forum information or a dealer. I would make a few phone calls to dealers that sell both models. Especially dealers that you know and have worked with. I trust everything that Steve and Bruce from Wildwood or John and Barry from Guitarsale.com (Music123) tell me. Both stores have given me precision details for some of my choices. If you do buy by phone, make sure the store has a return policy just in case. They both are fantastic guitars and ultimately it will be how it feels in you hands.

kingsleyd

Hey, FiveG, it's me again...

...as you know, I own a JA. I also own a PRS HBI; the I is actually closer to the JA than the HBII inasmuch as it has a mahogany back and flame maple top. (the HBII is all maple, and I for one think that's a bad thing, tone-wise)

At any rate, I am intimately familiar with both guitars.

Let me weigh in on a couple of the elements you asked about:

NECK
The PRS wide-fat is smaller than, say, an Historic Les Paul. Not by much, but noticeably so. It's more like the real 50s LP necks, actually. It's a really nice shape. But if you're used to something more like Gibson's slim taper necks, it might feel big.
The JA has a neck more like an early-60s ES-335. It's not quite as small (front to back) as the modern slim tapers. It's 1 11/16" wide, so it's more or less standard Gibson width.

SOUND
The JA has a MUCH more distinctive tone than the PRS, which sounds somewhat generic by comparison. There are several factors at play here:
--scale length: the JA has a 25.5" scale length, like Fenders and L-5CESs, whereas the PRS has a 25" scale length. This and the ebony fretboard combine to make the JA brighter and spankier. The JA could pass for a Tele with the amp set right and the right playing approach. Not a chance you could do that with the PRS.
--pickups: the PRS pickups are lower in output than the Classic 57s in the JA. With the JA, you can do passable "Les Paul crunch." Not so with the PRS.
--finish: the PRS has a poly finish, whereas the JA has nitro. This and the pickups are the reason for the more "generic" (ie, less woody) tone of the PRS. IMO, of course.

BUILD QUALITY
Maybe it's the finish again, but while both are clearly high-quality instruments, the JA *feels* more like a guitar built by a few people who care. I think that Gibson is more selective about the wood for the JAs, although my HBI is an "Artist Package" which supposedly has better quality mahogany in addition to the flamier top.

VERSATILITY
The JA wins, hands down, for its range of electric tones. OK, the PRS does have that piezo thing, which is one of those things I think I should have, but frankly I almost never use it, and I probably wouldn't miss it if it was gone. I do like how the PRS looks (it's a little more understated than the JA) and it really is a very nice guitar. It's just that the JA is a VERY nice guitar.

About the only caveat I would offer about the JA is that, as vibro mentioned, it can be a little bright/twangy compared to, say, an ES-335. Even so, I've used mine on a couple of straight ahead jazz gigs and it fit right in, sound-wise.

vibro

Nice review, Kingsleyd.

The way I'd put it is - I'd love to have 2 Johnny A's if I could afford them.

FiveG

Thanks, all. If I only hit the bloody lottery, this would be easy! The only thing that's sort of hindering the decision right now is one other factor: I have a 1981 ES347, which has an ebony neck, HBs, etc. Is the sound of the Johnny A anywhere near that guitar, because I'm certainly not looking to replicate the sound of a guitar I already have. I suspect not given (a) the fact that the JA is hollowbody throughout and (b) given the brass parts in the 347, but I thought I'd ask.

FiveG

kingsleyd

FiveG said:
Thanks, all. If I only hit the bloody lottery, this would be easy! The only thing that's sort of hindering the decision right now is one other factor: I have a 1981 ES347, which has an ebony neck, HBs, etc. Is the sound of the Johnny A anywhere near that guitar, because I'm certainly not looking to replicate the sound of a guitar I already have. I suspect not given (a) the fact that the JA is hollowbody throughout and (b) given the brass parts in the 347, but I thought I'd ask.

Yeah, that 347 does muddy the water somewhat. But the body is basically a 335, right? That means it has the plywood top and back and the center block. Plus it probably has the 24 5/8 in. scale length. Those differences will make the 347 sound pretty different from the JA, which has a smaller body and is closer to fully hollow, along with the 25.5" scale. (on the JA there's only a post under the bridge, same basic idea as the '59 and Brian Setzer Gretsch 6120s, and the HB for that matter)

I'll tell you what, just drive up to Dover NH tomorrow night. :) I'm playing at Dover Soul (www.doversoul.com) and will probably have both the HB and the JA there, so if you bring the 347 we can check 'em all out.

CR9

The JA is more "hollow" or open than most of the other Gibsons. This is what the JA body chambers look like.
JA-body.JPG

FiveG

kingsleyd said:
Yeah, that 347 does muddy the water somewhat. But the body is basically a 335, right? That means it has the plywood top and back and the center block. Plus it probably has the 24 5/8 in. scale length. Those differences will make the 347 sound pretty different from the JA, which has a smaller body and is closer to fully hollow, along with the 25.5" scale.

Not sure on scale length on the 347 -- it's a longer neck than on my LP Standard, but I haven't measured it. I didn't realize, however, that the JA had a smaller body than do the 335-style guitars.

Thanks for info.

FiveG

kingsleyd

vibro said:
Nice review, Kingsleyd.

The way I'd put it is - I'd love to have 2 Johnny A's if I could afford them.

OK, just shut up... now... Wildwood has the JA with the next serial no. after mine, and it's quilted with a Bigsby. I'm very tempted. VERY tempted.

CR9

I love #350 that Wildwood has for sale. Sure would be nice if one of you wealthy guys would buy it as a gift for me......

FiveG

Cloud9 said:
I love #350 that Wildwood has for sale. Sure would be nice if one of you wealthy guys would buy it as a gift for me......

No problem -- right after I hit the Lottery that lets me buy the PRS HBII --and -- the Johnny A, I'll get one for you too.

FiveG