• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ES-335 now in Memphis exclusively!

T

Troels

To put an end to the thread about the missing Nashville Historic ES-335 on the very new www.gibson.com I'll post this e-mail coming from Gibson:

William Baugh til mig
Vis detaljer 01.40 (7 timer siden) Svar (...e-mail details)

Hello,
Thanks for writing. Here is a link to the currently produced models: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Search.aspx

The 59 and 63 are produced at the custom shop in Memphis.

The site is still a work in progress and we apologize. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks again,

William Baugh
Customer Service Representative
Gibson Guitar Corp
Nashville, TN
1-800-4GIBSON

My comment: This means - to me at least - that there is no more Historics coming out of Nashville. Gibsons famous ES-335 is now only made one place - in Memphis.

PS I've asked the same question on Gibson Custom discussion page ( http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=146652&#146652 ). Still no official answer, but there's a post from a person who was at NAMM earlier this month and saw the new ES custom shop line - and as he reports - they had all "Prototype" and Memphis, TN, on the orange label - otherwise Historic specs.

Last edited:

44deluxe

:hmm

Interesting. It makes sense in some ways....

HEY! My *made in Nashville* just got a big dose of mojo!! :foghorn

:wah :spabout

T

Troels

:...

HEY! My *made in Nashville* just got a big dose of mojo!!...

Yes, and so do those from Memphis... a win/win situation - or even a win/win/win situation as Gibson will also benefits from this new arrangement.

lpdeluxe

I've got a Kalamazoo LP, a Nashville SG, and a Memphis 335. Guess i have to stop now, until they build another plant.

T

Troels

I've got a Kalamazoo LP, a Nashville SG, and a Memphis 335. Guess i have to stop now, until they build another plant.

Heee... almost like me - except an ES-330 Kalamazoo instead og a LP (but I would like one :) ). I actually begin to like Memphis. Their work is not bad at all. I think that everybody should realize that quality level has come way up compared to the first two-three years. They have really prepaired themselves to become a custom shop not only by name.

Gold Tone

Troels - no offence but you are obsessed by this Memphis / Nashville thing. So many threads...so many posts...so much concern....Why such a big deal?

Don't worry, whatever Gibson does or has done or will do with Nashville Custom....your ES is a perfectly good instrument. Don't doubt it!

T

Troels

Troels - no offence but you are obsessed by this Memphis / Nashville thing. So many threads...so many posts...so much concern....Why such a big deal?

Don't worry, whatever Gibson does or has done or will do with Nashville Custom....your ES is a perfectly good instrument. Don't doubt it!

Yeah... I have to admit that it looks a bit obsessed... but I guess it's the old journalist coming up chasing the truth. Anyway, I just wanted to put a tail on this Nashville/Memphis thing. One of the post suggested asking Gibson and that's what I did and I finally posted the answer.

No more Memphis for now... from me.

reswot

...but why not post this in the previous thread?

Starting a new thread to "finish" another thread seems ridiculous -- not to mention being hard to follow for someone who's "late to the party."

T

Troels

...but why not post this in the previous thread?

Starting a new thread to "finish" another thread seems ridiculous -- not to mention being hard to follow for someone who's "late to the party."

That's right - I don't really know why except that the first thread had become a bit long...

lpdeluxe

You need something from Bozeman! :)

You're probably right, even though I only rarely play acoustic guitar any more. I do have a Dobro, but it's from 11/84, long before Gibson bought them, and was made in Long Beach CA. And then there's my Regal, from Chicago in the '30s, but my Brooklyn NY Chet Atkins Country Gent is gone, as well as the Santa Ana CA Rickenbacker....

My 335, by the way, is from 2000, and is very nicely made, despite being first-year Memphis (as I understand it).

T

Troels

...My 335, by the way, is from 2000, and is very nicely made, despite being first-year Memphis (as I understand it).

They did make it right in the early Memphis days as well - but maybe not as consistent as now. Depending on the month it could be a Nashville...

ouuuchhh... now I'm back in that Memphis/Nashville-thing :troll

J.D.

+1 :salude

access

+1 :salude

I Think troels is a little obsessed because of how hard he was slammed in the previous "Nashville/memphis" thread for saying that memphis had/was a "custom shop"

Well according to the e-mail directly from a Gibson representative Memphis DOES have a custom shop! Or at least part of the factory is considered as such.

J.D.

Yes, it is the Memphis Custom Shop, I don't think anyone disagreed. I think the confusion was whether the *Historic* ES guitars were made in Memphis or Nashville :jim

T

Troels

Beside all these more or less nice things said I think it's interesting that Gibson move the complete ES production to Memphis. The rumours actually began to say so at least a year ago - but nothing happened untill now. I still think that information like this must be of interest for many Gibson players/lovers - even I run the risk of being called obsessed :)

Now we can say for sure that the Historics are made in Memphis :troll
except no longer called Historics - as far as I can see.

Gold Tone

It doesn't look to me like anything has moved. It only looks like the 2 Historics are no longer in production.

TomGuitar

Now we can say for sure that the Historics are made in Memphis :troll
except no longer called Historics - as far as I can see.

Except that if they are not called Historics by Gibson, then they are not Historics. :hmm

lpdeluxe

They did make it right in the early Memphis days as well - but maybe not as consistent as now. Depending on the month it could be a Nashville...

ouuuchhh... now I'm back in that Memphis/Nashville-thing :troll

The SN is from 11/06/00, so that makes me think it must be Memphis. Not that it's an issue with me....