• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Roadworn Branding - Good or Bad?

reverbbb

I was at the 2006 Custom Shop party, along with several other forum members. I sure wish they would hold some MORE of those events (hint, hint).

They sold around 500 Custom Shop guitars of all types at the auction that weekend. I bought three. The only one that I still own is the Non-Reverse Firebird.

I really wished they had made the branding a little less prominent on the back. The white guitars were more obvious because of the contrast in burn to white finish. The branding was to permanently mark the guitar that there were no warranties offered for these guitars. Really? that was the best indicator they could come up with?

I the long term, do you think this was a bad idea or may attract some collectible value over the years?

10259172_10152414913124275_7899803660489614635_o.jpg

reverbbb

I guess because they were cutting out the dealers and by selling direct, and also, no prediction on how much they would sell for. There was a $10,000 acoustic that sold for like $2800. All the proceeds were supposed to go to The Gibson Foundation.

I suppose another reason is they didn't want those donations to burden them down the road.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Not a bad thing, really... If you can pick up a guitar you want for a fraction of it's value, and it also benefits something... What's the downside, right? :peace2

chuckNC

I think they should have put a great big G on the front of the guitar with a freaking branding iron!

Oh wait.......

J T

I don't think it's bad at all. It shows that guitar was from among that group sold at that event. I don't think Gibson ever did that again.

abstract

With all the money you saved you can afford whatever "warranty" work you would ever need.

That said...I've owned dozens of guitars over several decades and I've never needed or used, or even wished for, a warranty.

What is warranty work on a guitar?

Xpensive Wino

...do you think this was a bad idea or may attract some collectible value over the years?

If it raises the value, doubtless some unscrupulous types will be applying brands to non-auction guitars in the future. Skulduggery is eternal. :worm

acewylde

I have a similar situation with a Les Paul Premier 2 that I got at the Gibson warehouse sale in 2009. They stamped used on all of the instruments to null the warranty. Have no idea what it did to the value. I have never seen one of these listed as an officially released guitar from Gibson. Or seen one listed for sell by anyone. I was told since the economy was in the crapper in 09 Gibson couldnt get the dealers interested in any more upper range models and this was one of about twelve made in a test run. Don't know if its true or not but my brother and I bought a matching set. The body is hollow with a flame back that matches the front with an ebony board.

DSCF5947_zps94bd5401.jpg
DSCF5948_zpsa8249fc2.jpg