• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Price Check on 1976 LP Standard?

Mr. Papa

Hey folks,
There's a guy nearby selling a very clean looking all original '76 Les Paul Standard, patent # pickups, original pots, pancake, maple neck, plain top, and he's asking over $2400 for it. What do you think, if it checks out is that a fair price or maybe a bit high? I'd have to sell something to pay back the price, but I'm interested and don't want to fall too deep in if it's not worth it. Especially since it's not exactly a stand out year for LPs--but it's very clean from the pics. Maybe too clean?
Thanks always,
Pops

JJC

I have a '76 and I think the answer might depend on what it is you're looking for. Mine has a very thin neck and the frets were pretty low (and wide). Personally, I like a little beefier neck - although I've been playing this one for so many years that it feels pretty good. While I wouldn't necessarily be put off by many of the features that some criticize from that time period, I also wouldn't call that price a bargain as a plaintop R8 can be had for the same price. I'm assuming you played it - what was it about the guitar that you like?

shred

Personally, while the price isn't outrageous, I think it's a bit high. If it actually is a factory Standard, it is worth more than a mini HB Deluxe. It depends on the guitar and your situation (Are 70's LPs easy to find in your area? Are you planning on keeping it forever or selling after a few years? Do you have a big guitar budget to play with etc).

My number one rule when it comes to buying used gear: Never pay more for a guitar today, than what you can sell it for tomorrow.

Mr. Papa

I like it because it's an LP but it's got some maple on it and that brightens up the LP vibe somewhat. I think the asking price is too high, but I haven't seen anything like this for sale up this way for a decade. Seems like a piece of history.

Big Al

I like Norlin Era guitars a lot, but, I tend to value things on a more intrinsic way. Early 70's mahogany necked Kalamazoo made Les Pauls are just superb and I place greater value on them. Standards are rare from this era and highest on my desirability list. Customs are sweet but in my case I factor in a fret job. Deluxes are my favorite Norlin Era Les Paul in general and early 70's are my favorites next to the Standards.

I personaly find maple necked, pancaked bodied mid 70's Les Pauls least desirable and it takes a very special one to tempt me and as my least liked varient, I place the least value on them. All the least desirable features are present on these. Nashville took some time to get rolling on these, IMO, and that along with ALL the less desired features of big headstock, laminate maple neck, pancake body, nashville tuneamatic, short rocker tenon and minor stuff like tuners and knobs firmly place this vintage at the bottom of the Norlin heap. Not that they are bad, but in contrast with other vintages should be the least expensive.

Late 70's maple necked Norlins to about 83 with one piece bodies and laminate necks I value more. Nashville production seems much better and speed knobs are a better touch over inserts.

Mid 80's last version Norlins are one piece mahogany neck, one piece body small headstock, better pickups and probably best of the Nashville made Norlin Lesters. Most from this time have incorrect cutaways but beautiful top carves.

I always consider what my dollar gets. That is, what can your $2500 purchase? I know I could pick several new Standard models with figured maple tops, new frets and playability and tone along with a more vintage 50's vibe. A warranty needs to be factored in. If my main desire is to have a nice Norlin Era Les Paul I think early 70's or late 70's, Deluxe first as in my mind that is THE Norlin Les Paul. I think it is reasonable to expect to find one but it may take some searching. Early 70's, stock Standard models will cost more but late 70's, should fall in that range. Still I'd expect a pristine, original for 2500 it better sound great.

That is just me, though.

Progrocker111

I like it because it's an LP but it's got some maple on it and that brightens up the LP vibe somewhat.

If possible, try to find earlier one with mahogany neck, they are much more collectable and have more "traditional" tone. But it will be a bit more expensive though.

Flavum

Wine Red?I bought one in 08 for $1800.
Heavy...

Do you still have it, and if so, any pictures? I sold my '76 Wine Red Standard in 1981 and have always wondered where it ended up. Pickup covers removed, with Grovers and a hand-made brass jackplate were installed. Not interested in buying it back, but just curious.

On the left. Yeah, I know. The hair.
TC1980.jpg

guitplayer

Still got ,but this one came with old Dimarzios.PAF pro and super D.