• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

has gibson confirmed that all 2007 usa are chambered

Aeolian_mode

i can't find that they are chambered anywhere besides forums, I asked someone at guitar center today and he had no idea what i was talking about( but it was guitar center so that might not mean anything)

Hogman49

I don't know about confirmed, but i just bought a new LP Standard and it is as light as a feather compared to my others, but holy s**t does it sound great !! One of my favorite guitars that I have !!

Regards,
Hog :2zone

BobMello

I was in GC last weekend and picked up a new LP and it was really light...I leaned over to the sales guy and said jeez these are light and he said "yeah, they're all hollow underneath now except the historics".

I've known this sales guy for a while and the one good thing about GC by me in South Florida is that they have a lot of the same people working there for a long time (like 3 or more years). Some of these guys know their shit (others don't know shit)

Anyway, I trust that he was right.

usc96

Two questions:

1. Since they are hollow now, have they lowered the price? I haven't priced them lately.

2. Are they also hollowing out their Epiphone brand LPs?

modoc_333

they aren't all. there isn't a cut off point either. i have seen some with later serial numbers that are heavy, while some early ones are light. most are chambered though. the story i hear is that they started screwing around with this in late '06. they have been experimenting so they haven't made an official release yet. what they have come up with is similar to the pattern done in the chambering of the cloud 9 :)

Biff

1. Since they are hollow now, have they lowered the price?
2. Are they also hollowing out their Epiphone brand LPs?

1. Should they? 1 chamber instead of 8 holes with the same area volume = same amount of wood. That's what at least Gibson tries to tell us.

2. No, Epiphones don't usually even have the holes, only the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra is chambered and marketed as such. The Chinese and Korean guitars are anyway made of different (cheaper) type of mahogany species than Gibsons.

reverbbb

I have not grabbed a Std off the rack in a while. I tend to reach for the new and unusual. A new model that has a natural very figured maple top (Studio) is definately chambered. I even knocked on the top and I could sense the chamber.

I suppose that it would be prudent for Gibson to list this as a "feature". Fender list most of it's specs with a little label on the pickguard.

I am sensing that if chambered LP become the normal "feature" for all future LP Std, Then we will see another benchmark era as a reference that will affect desirability. In other words, the non-chambered guitars will have the 'magic' and will be more desirable or visa-versa. I'm sure this is already happening to some extent. But it is not as common knowledge like the McCarty era vs. Norlin era vs. the "Henry" era, etc.

les strat

I am sensing that if chambered LP become the normal "feature" for all future LP Std, Then we will see another benchmark era as a reference that will affect desirability. In other words, the non-chambered guitars will have the 'magic' and will be more desirable or visa-versa. I'm sure this is already happening to some extent. But it is not as common knowledge like the McCarty era vs. Norlin era vs. the "Henry" era, etc.

I think you are right on the money with this post.

vaillantk

Greetings. This is my first post here. I have a February 2007 LP Standard, Heritage Cherry Sunburst finish. It's almost as light as my Strat, but a lot prettier ! I realize the pickups, body solidity, etc. have changed over the years but I still get a tone similar to the players I love from the late 60s-early 70s.

simon

i can't find that they are chambered anywhere besides forums, I asked someone at guitar center today and he had no idea what i was talking about( but it was guitar center so that might not mean anything)

Well, why should the say that officially? Is it a good thing?
Its just a fact that MOST Custom Antiques/Standards/Studios or whatever from around spring on weight LESS than 8.5 lbs.!
When knockin' on the back of the bodies you'll hear those chambers.
Try and shake them, sometimes theres some glue left and rattels in the excavations. No joke! :rolleyes
But hey, its ok, they're lightweight, thats good for your back. And when you'd like to buy the real deal go for a Custom Shop :spabout
:hmm

TheMiz

I believe they started in 2006 ( second half)
At least 5 of the ones I have owned were.

simon

Greetings. This is my first post here. I have a February 2007 LP Standard, Heritage Cherry Sunburst finish. It's almost as light as my Strat, but a lot prettier ! I realize the pickups, body solidity, etc. have changed over the years but I still get a tone similar to the players I love from the late 60s-early 70s.

:welcome

grimlyflick

Sorry to throw a cat among the pigeons, but am I missing something here?

Most owners of the new "chambered" Les Pauls on this forum have commented on how good their new Les Pauls sound compared to older Les Pauls they own that are "solid", some people have even commented that their new Les Pauls sound far better.

I've owned a few Les Pauls from new in my time and tried out many 2nd hand
70's, 80's and 90's Les Pauls that have been solid. Some of solid bodied ones were heavy and sounded very dull and lifeless, leading me to think that maybe sometimes a solid plank may not always sound the best. I bet there are many vintage Les Pauls out there that are solid and sound bad.

If the new chambered Les Pauls play great and sound great where's the problem? Surely if you like the way a guitar looks, plays and sounds does it really matter whats inside it?

There must be good and bad examples of Les Paul from every era. I owned an early Classic (which seem very popular on this forum) and it was a total dog.

Many famous players, who we on this forum hold in high esteem, have Les Pauls that are from "bad" era's as their main guitars. I bet they don't worry about what going on with the wood on the inside and the like.

If it plays, looks and sounds good.......who cares?

Just my two cents. :salude

led zep fan

Banned
I think the issue has less to do with the tone, and a lot to do with them chambering and not announcing they've done it. It's a little misleading. With all the spec info on LPs on the Gibson site, it's not an oversight that they haven't reported it.

simon

Yeah, right, if it sounds good - who cares!!!
But... a hollow Les Paul doesn't sound like a solid Les Paul.
The old stuff you mentioned might be 70s heavy and dead-sounding
Gibson-stuff (without saying there are/were no exeptions).
The heavier guitars with less weight relief sounded different.
Not better or worse just different. More REAL.
When it comes to a Les Paul it should be solid - IMHO.

Axel

I think the issue has less to do with the tone, and a lot to do with them chambering and not announcing they've done it. It's a little misleading. With all the spec info on LPs on the Gibson site, it's not an oversight that they haven't reported it.

+1.

grimlyflick

I agree it's definately a bit of an oversight on Gibson's behalf that they've failed to mention it before.

Axel

This is what the Gibson site says about the Les Paul Standard:

"The all-time favorite Gibson model, the Les Paul Standard is recognized the world over as an icon for rock and roll. As Gibson’s first solidbody electric guitar, the Les Paul Model made a lasting impression when it debuted in 1952, and it continues to shape the sounds of popular music today. "

...Gibson's first solidbody electric guitar, true. But is it a solidbody nowadays? How much can you hollow a guitar out before it becomes a hollowbody?