• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

No screwholes pickguard..

Bobby_Lee

:hmm
Working with acrylic for a living it seemed a no brainer to make my own pickguards. Thing is I wanted a pickguard that I didn't have to screw into my virgin maple top. Being the bright lad I am :rolleyes: I came up with this style of screwless pickguard. This one happens to be made from clear acrylic, but it could be made from any standard pickguard material. The pickup adjustment screws are functional without removing the pickguard. The PG is barely higher than the stock Gibson mounted PG and does not come in contact at all with the top. Is this something other LP owners would use? Or have I just stood too often in front of a too loud amp?:wail Opinions as always, pro or con, are encouraged:)
NewPickguard003-1.jpg

NewPickguard008.jpg

NewPickguard006.jpg

As opposed to this..........
IMG_5555.jpg

:heritage Peace
Bobby_Lee

D'Mule

A great idea and nice job.

I personally like the look of the creme guard. Plus, all of my guitars already have holes. But I bet there is a market for it.

Trans-Am

Send me a cream one Bobby Lee and i'll market it for you up here??

Peace!!:hank

Axel

For me it's a bit too spacey, being clear acrylic. And somehow a too 'modern' invention for a Les Paul. But that's just me.

I still can see people using one of those if they don't want to drill holes in their beloved. Nice work too!

As for details, I'd like to see you making a vague curve to the lower edge of the pickguard, a regular one is not that straight.

RamiLP

how will this work with the historic pickup rings?? the pick guard will be as high as the high E string is almost.

none the less, its a really great idea to have, looks good too. keep up the good work.

GuitarDean

I like it, alot, but I do have a concern.

I do worry about the pop/snap off and/or crack factor. If that guard gets snagged up on something. Not only will the guard come off because it doesn't have the third (opposing) screw to hold it down against pulling, but there stands the chance that you're going to take off off part of your pickup ring too. Thats an issue, get around that and I think you've got something that you can market and do well with

Bobby_Lee

:2cool
Basically, this is just a prototype to see if it could be done and then if there is interest.
Axel- Yea, I made this one in clear acrylic, but they could be made in any colored acrylic or pickguard material. ie the cream color or black. I could also do it in a matte finish. I did think about copying an LP guard exactly, but decided to just make it easier on me...:ganz

Bobby_Lee

RamiLP- MMmm wish I had a Historic to check that:) I'll have to check some pictures of the Historics p.u. rings to see if there is a way around that.
GuitarDean-If there is a weak link with this acrylic one, it would be that if it is snagged on something, the acrylic would break out at the screw holes before the p.u. rings broke or cracked. The biggest problem is with the anchoring. There are few viable spots to mount the pg without adding or disturbing the top. I'll continue to look at it though...:ganz

marc1kim

Need to patent that idea before some one else does....It's Brilliant!!!!!

J T

Great Idea! Now people who hesitate to drill holes can have a pickguard.

The only thing I could think of is the flexing because of no support on the body side. I lean on the pickguard with my pinky and I really would not like my hand moving out of position missing picking a string or hitting the wrong one because the pickguard flex.

Would there be movement on the PU ring?

Edward

Ohhh Man..... :) :) :)

Dude, that is stunning!! So let me first say "I absolutely want one" as this is just how I envisioned it when we were discussing the clear pg some time ago. It is certainly less traditional and more of a "modern" approach to the LP look. But I like it, and it allows the beauty of the top to come through unobscured. I am stoked at your fine craftsmanship! Agree on the patent idea, too ...you should capitalize on this!!

Just wondering, though, as I can't tell from the pix exactly, but did you bevel it where it meets at the pup rings to sink the pg, or is the pg at full thinckness where it mounts to the pup bezels and just rides on top of the bezels? Also, does the pg feel secure pressing down on it? It "seems" like a lot of mechanical leverage on the screws/bezel area should someone lean into the bottom edge of the pg? Maybe if the acrylic were thinner it could simply flex? Alternatively, perhaps a clear "pad" or "foot" from, say, a 1/4" diam acrylic rod placed underneath at a good location to offer a "third leg" of footing, if you will. Thoughts?

Again, I want one nevertheless ...you've got my email. And don't make me come over there and beg dang it! I'm warning you, I've got paypal and I'm not afraid to use it!
:)

...BTW, great-looking Faded. Looks strikingly similar to mine, both in the burst's hues as well as the flame. Not much need to "guess" as to how mine will look :D

Edward

Last edited:

danny2plus2

I like it . But why not go under the pickup mounting rings? even with thin metalic tabs.

MikeScalf

Absolutely Love it!! Put me on the waiting list and you better apply for a pat on that sucker before someone sees it here and beats you to it. :fc
I would definatly get two, one cream and one clear. I too can't bring myself around to putting two holes in my Paul for the pickguard. If anyone read my thread in the vintage forum about the 58 jr I found you'd know why!:bug Holes bad!:spabout Extra holes, even worse!
Plus as far as the regular clear guard goes, I can't do the big metal bracket. It really defeats the idea of it and looks kinda odd. IMHO.
That's why I like yours.

As far as support, I think if you take one of those half round clear rubber "bumpers' like they used to use on the inside of the bug guards for the hoods of cars, and put one on the outer edge it would support it but be a soft contact to the body.
Anyway, great idea and email me when you get mine done!:laugh2:

Itsallmuscle

Yea! I'm actually surprised at how good it looks, Im not usually one for too many mods! If you can try putting a creme pickguard in place of that and take some pics! You might be onto something, the only problem is your market is pretty small. Most Gibsons come with pickguards and the owners of those that dont have them dont necceserily want a pg installed! I'm a fan though :)

Bobby_Lee

:paf
Alright, let's see here. To all....Thanks about the patent thing. I have in fact contacted a patent attorney to begin that end of it. I'll be drawing up the prints sometime over the weekend for that. Now......
JT- It actually is quite sturdy at the p.u. ring and not that much flex. But that is all relative. What I see as flex might be ALOT different than yours. All things considered I feel pretty comfortable resting my pinky/heel on it. Also, no movement on the p.u. rings themselves. (But I'm a relatively gentle blues/jazz kinda player) But I can press the acrylic so that it comes in contact with the finish without concerns about breaking the p.g. or the p.u. rings yet sturdy enough to not flex under "normal" flailing:)
Edward-I do have clear silicone "bumpers". I was concerned about any reaction of the nitro and the silicone. Also any rub marks left by the "bumper".
danny2plus2- I wanted to avoid coming into any contact with the finish and keeping it somewhat like the original looking mount. (by the way,is that a "Z" 2 plus 2?)
Nothinspecial-You're on the short list:dude: see above about the bumpers. I may try one to see how it might work out. Providing I find out about any negative reaction between the silicone and the finish.
Itsallmuscle-Well, I'm guessing I won't retire on this. It's more for the fun of making something for the LP. And thanks for props. (by the way, where you at in North Jersey?)

I am also looking for a couple of people who gig out who would be willing to try these out. I will make them whatever pickguard material you would like. ie cream colored, black, clear, etc. No charge of course:applaude
And to all so far, thanks for all the input and props. It is appreciated.:salude

Edward

Hey Bobby,

I play out. I'd be glad to demo out a clear one (and of course, I'd still buy one the one I end up keeping from ya!). Let me know, really.

Edward