• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Norlins vs R7, R8

PLarson

I have a 1969 Goldtop and a 1974 Sunburst Deluxe. I also have an R7 and an R8. I cant decide which is best. I love my Norlins, but my newer Les Pauls sound great too.....

Elmore

My routed '71 Deluxe with Duncan Antiquities has that bridge position honk that I have not yet found in a Historic. And I really like Historics. It is not the pickups, as it did it with T-Tops as well. My friend with his '97 flametop R8 is now trying to get his to sound that way after our sound test. My '87 standard/prehistoric (avatar) is prettier, as are most Historics. But for that Beano sound, that old slim neck Deluxe wins so far.

DSCN4654.jpg

Big Al

Why does one have to sound "Best"? I try to have many excellent sounding guitars, when I have multiples I look for that special quality that attracts me to that instrument. Best, to my way of thinking, is wholly dependant upon application and usage, and is always subjective.

No Les Paul, no matter how you slice it, can make the cut if not paired to the right amplifier and that is of more importance than the perceived qualities of the guitar, in my experience.

A guitar judged mediocre in one application may become spectacular in a different senario of usage and application. If all your guitars are like mine, they will all have qualities that appeal to you and some will be "BEST" in certain applications.:hank

bern1

That's why a lot of us have multiple guitars and amps.....

there's a good combo for each situation...

Progrocker111

I prefer early 70s Customs to Historics, but thats mostly cause i prefer their more aggressive, "faster" and tighter tone. But as Big Al said, theres no "best". Its very subjective.

sickboy79

It's great to have options! My 72 Deluxe that was routed for HBs (has pat. sticker T-tops in it) is my favorite and best sounding HB loaded LP.

djangolad

I bet they all sound sound like Les Pauls though. My tastes require more variety.
I need a tele, 335, and a Rick 330/12 to swing the changes. I really appreciate the LP when it's turn comes around. R.I.P my black 57 RI strat which died in a house fire 2011.

dc007

While I agree with the diversity of different guitars, all of my LP's have a distinctive voice albeit subtle with some
I bet they all sound sound like Les Pauls though. My tastes require more variety.
I need a tele, 335, and a Rick 330/12 to swing the changes. I really appreciate the LP when it's turn comes around. R.I.P my black 57 RI strat which died in a house fire 2011.

Big Al

I hear that Brother!!! I was tellin' my pal Bob, that it is like crayons. When I was a kid I wanted the biggest box of crayons as I loved to draw and color.

Same thing in music for me. I have a small herd of Lesters with P90's, Mini Humbuckers and various Humbuckers. It's like all the Red hued Crayola Crayons in the big box. I have different shades of red, if you will.

I also catch other colors as well, Melodymakers, ES225T, a small herd of Tele's, a flock of Strat's, Musicman, Kay, Rickenbaker, Kalamazoo, Martin, National, Dobro,or the lap steels, pedal steel, mandolins, banjo's...... lot's of colors and various shades.

None of that takes into account all the amps I use, nor the trunk full of effect pedals. I still want the big box.:hank