• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

GOOD NEWS: ES-335 STILL FROM NASHVILLE...

DoubleBoogie

Think about your own workplace and how many employees don't know what the fuck they are doing. Well, Gibson is no different. Incompetence thrives everywhere because we don't live in a meritocracy where talent, perseverance and knowledge are routinely rewarded. In this country, loyalty and longevity are rewarded regardless of the level of talent or knowledge. It comes down to don't believe everything you read or hear or see on TV. Like most large corporations, Gibson has its share of nitwits and incompetents. It also probably has its share of relatively bright people who are sadly misinformed.

Good points....However, I would like to add that in many corporations, people rise to the top only because of who they know and how good they look in a suit. When that happens, a lot of screwed up decisions get made and a ton of needed decisions get left flopping in the breeze. The more I read about Gibson, the more I think they are managed this way. They appear for all the world to be a company comprised of truly great people that get the work done despite the organization and management and not because of it.

Jurius

Well, after all that, you'll all be happy to know that I have just bought a 59 Historic 335....made in Nashville.

Congratulations. :salude I'd love to se pictures, get a tone report, and know where and how you found it. I've seen one available at Wildwood but that's about it.

Personally, I'm very relieved to know the 335 Historics are still being made. Troels, don't stop posting bro. There's some good advice from some good people on this page ... and none of these guys are bad guys. It's easy to get frustrated.

Surfthrees

I hope the one you bought wasnt the one from Grinning Elk! I was told it was available and then 6 hours later it had a 48 hour hold on it! Kudos to you if you pulled the trigger quicker than me! Even better if we arent talking about the same guitar and we both will have one!!!!
Troels, keep up the info hunt!, even if it changes. I cant blame you for trying to make any sense of Gibsons specs. I'm very good friends with Gibson's old Artist Relations guy, and by his own admission, knowing what the fuck is actually going on with their guitars is a very difficult job. Think of info in all our jobs.... same at Gibson I guess...

44deluxe

Very nice choice!

Amen to that. :jim

Here's mine (with the "wrong" pickguard):

IMGP4641.jpg

MikeSlub

Administrator
Hey guys, are we suffering from winter weather depression and lack of sunlight? Seems like there are a lot of us who are cranky and intolerant these days.

I feel like I have to jump in here and defend Troels. He is a good guy, has made many positive contributions to the Forum, and he really studies the details of his guitars and spends a lot of time on his music. Many of us jump to conclusions (myself included) on incomplete or inaccurate information. And many of us have a love/hate relationship with Gibson - love the product and brand, hate the way they run the company and communicate with customers.

Finally, I think that we forget that we have members here from around the world with different cultures and different ways to express themselves, as well as the use of expressions of the English language. Troels is one of our international members, and I think he does a pretty darn good job.

So - lighten up! He made a mistake, and provided clarification. So what if he started a few threads on the subject? I've done the same thing many times, and have had to eat crow over some of my statements of opinion disguised as fact! :)

Rev.WillieVK

Stick around Troels - what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger! :dude: :)

Hang in there (here)! :salude

p19978

First rule taught in journalism school: don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

T

Troels

Thanks MikeSlub, Joe D, TomGuitar, Rev.WillieVK, Surfthrees, R9, Jurius and others :) :) I'll try to be more accurate in my research in the future. Everyone should know that I have no other motives to post here than I love guitars and love playing them. Much more than being a journalist btw :)

angus99

Nothing personal against Troells either, until . . .

Please read carefully his boxed reply to me in post #2 and pretend it's directed at you.

I had simply posted that I'd contacted Gibson Customer Service and passed along facts from them Troells didn't agree with. What I got in return was a diatribe full of condescension and arrogance. To me, this goes well beyond any language barrier issues.

I'm a former journalist myself and I understand the impulse to be first out with the news. But there's still truth in the old saying "too much checking ruined many a good story."

angus

Gold Tone

Yeah, Troels man, don't leave!! You may be on a different wave length than most everyone else regarding your 335 thoughts but why would you leave? I don't feel you are offending anyone and I sure hope you aren't offended by differing opinions or facts.

Hey friend, it's an internet forum and should be treated as such. Stick around! Wether or not someone agrees with your post, your posts DO contribute to and spark discussion...that is a VERY good thing.

Cheers,

GT

PS - but relax about the 335....don't worry so much about it....you have a FANTASTIC axe from Memphis and don't doubt it!!! Any pics for us?

T

Troels

Thanks Gold Tone... I won't leave. I like to be around here and yes I have pics but have never fiind out how to post them... The funny thing is, that when I bought my first ES-335 in 2001 (always played Fender's and older LP's and SG's bought secon hand) I didn't no anything about Historics, Custom Shops, Memphis, Nashville - nothing. I just bought it as I thought an ES-335 was an ES-335. I'd probably bought a Historic if I'd known :) just to be sure that I bought a good one. But I didn't know at all and saw only one en the store (I believe they had only the one I bought).

And to angus99 - I see what you mean. But I didn't made all the stories up myself. They were all based on informations from Gibson. In the run of two weeks I giot three different answers from them, actually, on the same question. If I'd known that they even didn't know these things thenmselves I wouldn't honestly have posted and puit a comment on them here in LPF. Great to hear that you have been a journalist too. I've actually worked at some of the biggest newspaper i DK for many years in the 80's - and with communication in 90's and now. But I've posted as a guitar player here rather than a journalist - but the journalistic instinct, I suppose, follows you everywhere :) In the future I'll let quoted words speak for themselves - and I can see that I should have done so with this too.

Last edited:

oldflame

Thanks guys and I'll also let you know how it goes when it arrives. No idea how to post a shot up here. I'm a computer dumb ass when it comes to that kinda thing.

I hope the one you bought wasnt the one from Grinning Elk! ...

No, it came from a private seller, and the 58 Anni I was looking at was on ebay (still is I think). I saw the Grinning Elk 59. Nice!!! Too bad you missed it. :dang

Surfthrees

Thanks guys and I'll also let you know how it goes when it arrives. No idea how to post a shot up here. I'm a computer dumb ass when it comes to that kinda thing.

No, it came from a private seller, and the 58 Anni I was looking at was on ebay (still is I think). I saw the Grinning Elk 59. Nice!!! Too bad you missed it. :dang

Yep, it looks like I missed out, unless he doesnt pay..(From Australia) Not that Aussies dont pay or anything... That particular one looked beautiful. Killer fretboard. I think when he found out I was going to buy it if he didnt stop kickin the tires, he snatched it up! Very wise. Hopefully Lee at Grinning Elk will find me another.I saw that one on Ebay. Looks nice, but I really am looking for the solid center block all the way thru which as I understand it, it doesnt...
Congrats on your beautiful 335!!! :nocd

bluesjuke

What's up with these '59 & '63 RI's?
Speced similar to an Historic?

Troels, you're a valuable asset around here.

oldflame

Yep, it looks like I missed out, unless he doesnt pay..(From Australia) Not that Aussies dont pay or anything... That particular one looked beautiful. Killer fretboard. I think when he found out I was going to buy it if he didnt stop kickin the tires, he snatched it up! Very wise. Hopefully Lee at Grinning Elk will find me another.I saw that one on Ebay. Looks nice, but I really am looking for the solid center block all the way thru which as I understand it, it doesnt...
Congrats on your beautiful 335!!! :nocd

Yes, the thing about the center block on the VOS 58' had me turning my nose up big time. Just don't see why they would want to do such a thing. Why go to all that trouble of putting a VOS finish on the guitar, call it a 50th anni model and then skimp on the woodwork. It probably sounds great but I'm oldschool, picky and just plain grumpy about stuff like that.

Last edited:

sharq attaq

While I don't know the history of this forum with Troels, speaking strictly on the subjects of Memphis/Nashville and 335s, I think his remarks and such on the subject have made for some damn entertaining reading. I don't like seeing people getting ganged up on, and a little of that happened here. But some of that's always to be expected in a community this size.

I think the biggest fault lies with Gibson, and the way they've answered his emails and the slackness in getting their website updated in a clear and factual way. For one of the "big two" guitar company's to do that is definitely unnecessary. How hard would it be to create their new website behind the scenes before making it available to us? And bad info from their support staff in response to questions...that's pretty crappy.

I have a feeling that if this issue was being reported to LPF by someone else that's proven their credibility with everyone a little more...(like the elder statesmen here) many of the people who were lashing out would've been slobbering all over themselves for the next installment.

Kudos to one of them (MikeSlub) for his comments in this thread, BTW.

Anyway, let's face it...a place like this would get old pretty quick if there was never any disagreement or back and forthing going on. Healthy amounts of that are what makes things interesting. So, I'm glad to now see folks telling Troels to stick around. I think he was genuinely trying to inform...while getting his own questions asked and answered.

Just my two bits....