• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1968 Les Paul Standard in Walnut finish?

captaincanada

here's the link:
http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-les-pal-1968-walnut#

Being sold by Rudy's
they say this:
"Description: An extremely rare find! One of the only walnut 1968 Gibson Les Paul Standards, originally commissioned Manny's Music. This could be the first Les Paul made by Gibson after the 1960 hiatus."

I really dig the look!
Anyone know this guitar?

moonweasel

I think there was a thread about it a while back. I kind of remember emailing them and getting a 1969 serial number or a late 68 serial number back. I remember being turned off by the horseshit, typical BS, "it could be the first one made" line. I hate that crap. As long as they use the word "could" they can't get sued. :)

The earliest guitars had 1967 pots, btw.

Try searching, it'll show up. The guitar is "plausible", but it is a LONG shot. Vastly more likely that it is a modded guitar. Would be cool for sure if it could be proved.

captaincanada

Thanks Moonweasel, I was hoping you would chime in:)

I didn't see the other thread, but I only searched the Sunburst Pub..

I'm also skeptical that this was one of the first Les Pauls in 1968, but what I'm really curious is the idea that Manny's ordered the guitar with a walnut finish, black plastic and humbuckers..and the wording suggests that there was a run of this model?
Did your correspondence reveal any details about that claim?

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Modded goldtop from after the first 500 or so with Crown headstocks.

jimmi

I like the guitar. The price is a killer though.