• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1978 The Les Paul in Wine Red with 1976 The Les Paul in Natural

MikeSlub

Administrator
Well, I've had my 1976 The Les Paul in natural finish for many years, and have always been on the lookout for the "right" The Les Paul in the rarer wine red finish. I finally found the one I was looking for!

Great experience in dealing with Ray and Lee at Grinning Elk Music! Thanks guys!

These were true "art guitars" before Gibson started a Custom/Art/Historic Division. For those of you that don't know a lot about this model, read this article:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/slub6/article.html

The carved rosewood parts on this guitar (pickguard, knobs, switch ring, input jack cover, binding) is a lighter color than that used on my natural finish model, and I think it is very striking. The guitar is heavy, as all of these are, but I played it tonight and it really feels good and sounds great!

I don't recall ever seeing a photo of both The Les Pauls in the two colors that they were manufactured in together - so here are a few for you! :dude:

1978%20Gibson%20The%20Les%20Paul.jpg

The%20Les%20Paul%20Wine%20Red%20Passenger%20Side.jpg

The%20Les%20Paul%20Wine%20Red%20Back.jpg

The%20Les%20Paul%20Wine%20Red%20Headstock%20Front.jpg

The%20Les%20Paul%20Wine%20Red%20Headstock%20Back.jpg

The%20Les%20Paul%20Wine%20Red%20and%20Natural%20Together.jpg

The%20Les%20Paul%20Wine%20Red%20and%20Natural%20Together%20Full%20Guitars.jpg

Last edited:

Stoj

Nice Score Mike, they look great nice to see something a little different from Gibby :dude: :salude

Progrocker111

Wow, what a rare Norlin. :salude Pickups are standard T-Tops? Is it similar in tone to "standard " LP Customs from mid and late 70s?

shred

Congrats on the set. Cool to see such rare Norlins :dude:

EvLectric

Mr. Slubowski, at this point in our acquaintance I have to be honest with you.
It's a good thing you seem to be/come across as such a nice/good/even tempered/sweet/generous/etc dude!!!! (I mean this...I'm not being a butt sniffer)
Because if you were a real ^ss and had your collection we mere mortals would/could/should really really REALLY should hate you!!!! Add eight more reallys!!!
You really do come across as a straight up dude, even if we don't agree on the southern rock heart burst! :)
You are always adding always content here...sharing what must be at least be half of what has to be at least 700-800 guitars! At least it seems like that many!!!

If you ever send a museum of Slub's Guitars out on the road I'd be open to go demonstrate them for you!!!

EvLectric

Man, on reading that back...arent you glad i wasnt trying to brown nose??? :)

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Holy Cannoli... Those are ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!! :salude :salude :salude

jhmp

Mike, could we see a close up of what looks like a contoured nut?
Thanks!

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
DANG that's a lotta bling! Check out the string nut on the '78. It looks like the '76 has the same thing going on, not easy to see in pics.
There was a repairman in the Seattle area a few decades ago who always put that kind of nut on guitars he worked on. There's a proper name for that style but it escapes me right now.
*edit* My bad- any easy Google search turned up "scalloped nut"

RevPearly

Wow! The wine red is stunning. I saw one at the old Music Mart in Atlanta in 1978. Wish I had bought it now, I had forgotten how stunning they looked. Congrats!

MikeSlub

Administrator
DANG that's a lotta bling! Check out the string nut on the '78. It looks like the '76 has the same thing going on, not easy to see in pics.
There was a repairman in the Seattle area a few decades ago who always put that kind of nut on guitars he worked on. There's a proper name for that style but it escapes me right now.
*edit* My bad- any easy Google search turned up "scalloped nut"

Yes, both have multi-colored, scalloped nuts. Will take some close up photos when I get a chance. :hank

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Yes, both have multi-colored, scalloped nuts. Will take some close up photos when I get a chance. :hank

I would guess the multi-colors are like a bone & exotic wood lamination. Looks pretty fancy.