• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1976 Standard Question

steve10358

Just a quick Q.

For some reason I decided to google 1976 Les Paul standard and found a few claims that only 24-26 were built. Is this true? I own a standard (per the rear decal, truss cover, factory routes) and can't imagine this being true. Personally, I hope it's an internet myth.

I thought I knew a lot... guess I'm always learning.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
According to published shipping totals, they shipped only 24 Standards in 1976 [and only 1 in 1975!].
Anecdotal evidence suggests this info is way off, but I haven't seen what caused this inconsistant number. :hmm

steve10358

Gotcha. Do you know where I can source this info? I did email Gibson and am awaiting reply. Again, not trying to be googly-eyed... I'm sure it doesn't affect value.

Last edited:

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
What kind of specs does it have? Maple neck?, etc.

27sauce

I dont remember where I read it, but I believe that total is only from Kalamazoo plant, and does not include Nashville, or vice versa. I could be wrong, but I remember reading that somewhere.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I was asking specifically about the thread starter's guitar. Maybe it is different and could shed light on the small number listed.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Gotcha. Do you know where I can source this info? I did email Gibson and am awaiting reply. Again, not trying to be googly-eyed... I'm sure it doesn't affect value.

Gibson Shipping Totals 1937-1979 is the title of the book. :ganz

steve10358

Gibson Shipping Totals 1937-1979 is the title of the book. :ganz

LOL.

Also, as far as my guitar... yes, it does have all the usual 70's items like maple neck, etc. When I do my next string change in the next day or so, I will pull the pups, etc and take photos (I looked at them last night and they definitely were not done after the fact). I rescued this guitar from a local GC and have since put a good amount into it (frets, all new electronics, pups). This guitar resonates so well that it was worth it. The checking is likely from the last owner misusing finger ease. I have all the original electronics stored away too (and will take a photo of those as well).

PS- this guitar is cleaner than it appears (although it has been used)!

In the meantime...

7b9000f3.jpg

e2b8a43a.jpg

ec6c43a8.jpg

0f03b13a.jpg

25dd0604.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I don't recall seeing cavity markings like that, nor capacitors like those. :hmm

steve10358

I'm sorry for any confusion... that's an RS kit. I still have to snag my original ones out of my parts box. I had them removed in their entirety (complete with plate, pots, buckers and HUGE barrel jack). The guitar now sports Motorcity 2nd Degree black belts, jumbo frets and the RS Kit.

PS- I do realize the fret job took away the binding nubs, but there really wasn't anything left of them when I got this guitar (the frets were just about unuseable)!

EDIT Here's the original guts:
9b06f24f.jpg

9e8eb03c.jpg

44bb4cd6.jpg

0d9c961a.jpg

17ab8f0e.jpg

The stamps on the bottom of the pickups are extremely faint. The one says Sept 1 1976 and the other is even worse to read as it is almost completely gone. In fact, I'm surprised my iPhone didn't pick them up as I can see the stamps with the naked eye. Might have been my flash. I'll have to retake it.

Last edited:

Kris Ford

What was wrong with those T-Tops? What did you replace them with? I personally think that T-tops+RS kit would=winner...nice Les in any case...I wouldn't kick it out of bed...:)

steve10358

What was wrong with those T-Tops? What did you replace them with? I personally think that T-tops+RS kit would=winner...nice Les in any case...I wouldn't kick it out of bed...:)

Nothing was wrong with them and they did sound great. In fact, I was surprised how nice they were. It's just that I had the same complaint about them that I do about most stock pickups- the tone is fine but they come off as sounding small.

I told Wade what my concerns were and that I did want something PAF-ish but needed it larger. He sent me the 2nd degree black belts and they are pure Les Paul. Definitely same neighborhood as the T Tops- just different house in the sense that they are fuller in all the frequencies and definitely match how big the guitar sounds acoustically. I'm not the type of person that sells stuff once I find a good one- so it's very important to me that I get the electronics right because I use my hands and the volume knob to get all my sounds (I use single channel Marshalls).

Anyways, hope that answers your question. :)

jrfisher

I have a 1975 Deluxe/Standard. Deluxe on the label with a "99" prefix to the serial number. Factory humbucker route as indicated by the presense of some wood between the end of the neck and pickup cavity. Mini humbucker routes were flush with the end of the neck and an aftermarket mod would still be flush to the end of the neck.

Deluxe_B_15.jpg

Deluxe_B_34.jpg

John Vasco

I see the pickup cavities of both guitars show the small veneer of maple between the mahogany body and the top maple cap (and I don't mean the 'pancake').