• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Skinnerburst VOS neck compared with "regular" 2014 R-9 neck?

vintage58

Haven't had an opportunity to try a Skinnerburst yet, and was wondering how its neck dimensions (thickness, width, shoulder or lack thereof, etc.) compare with the necks found *non*–artist signature 2014 R-9's. I realize that there could be slight dimensional variations from example to example of both models, but I just am asking "in general." Would be cool to hear from anyone who has either tried or owns a Skinnerburst. Thanks.

Last edited:

Todd Louis

Well I played one and it was nice I did notice that the neck was wideish... But if Gibson took there painful steps to measure everything then it should be like the real skinnerburst.... No?

vintage58

Well I played one and it was nice I did notice that the neck was wideish... But if Gibson took there painful steps to measure everything then it should be like the real skinnerburst.... No?
Yes, it should. :) Only problem is, I've never had a chance to play the real Skinnerburst... so that doesn't tell me anything.

Getting back to reissues, though: I've seen plenty of significant dimensional variations between the necks of separate reissue models, and also between the necks on different examples of the *same* reissue model — but most of those variations have, at least in my own experience, tended to be thickness-related or shoulder-related. Whereras I don't really recall seeing neck width variations in Custom Shop LP reissues... but your above comment is, nonetheless, the second time I've read that the Skinnerbursts have necks that are actually wider. So, curious if anyone else can chime in on this — particularly someone who owns a Skinnerburst — does the nut width on these guitars actually measure wider than that on a non-Skinnerburst reissue? And if so, by how much? Or, is the whole "wider" impression of these guitars' necks more of an 'illusion' that is in reality created perhaps by a deeper neck thickness and/or more shoulder? Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Last edited:

Todd Louis

The nut with is the same as any historic.
It feels wider cause of the shoulders of the cut of the neck.
Historic necks vary too, but the CC's will in theory be the same as the guitar there copying.
So with that being said it will vary.

The skinner reminded me of a 58' from 07' or 05'

Todd Louis

I really liked the skinner I would recommend it.
It was on the level of Sandy or Goldie....

Todd Louis

As a mater a fact.....If anyone has a nice Goldie, Sandy that they want to part with I can hook you up with a few Historic 59's in trad....????:hmm :hmm :hmm :eek:la