• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Possibly the most (or "only"?) spectacular piece of maple to grace a 2014 thus far...

vintage58

Possibly the most (or "only"?) spectacular piece of maple to grace a 2014 thus far...

...so, I'd therefore like to know which genius at the Custom Shop made the forward-thinking decision to paint it blue. This is sad... I mean, this top would've positively RULED as a sunrise tea burst or lemonburst, IMHO.

10271550_797187690293381_2718228392858249676_n.jpg

J T

Re: Possibly the most (or "only"?) spectacular piece of maple to grace a 2014 thus fa

A PRS fan would like it.

frenchphil

Re: Possibly the most (or "only"?) spectacular piece of maple to grace a 2014 thus fa

i think this blue is only for gibson usa, not historic collection

but you are right , it would have made a great reissue top

gibson seem to like new colors for their usa line

vintage58

The guitar shown here is a hand-picked 2014 VOS R-8.

frenchphil

well ok then, i stand corrected

and agree that this blue is a bit of a shame on this flamed top, but to each his own

Red Baron

Buy it and send it straight off to Kim... btw where is it for sale?

vintage58

I already thought of buying it and having it refinished (although the only refinishing option that I'd consider in this instance would be a factory refin by Gibson... YMMV). Anyway, it's a moot point — after looking into it further, I was able to determine that the guitar originally shipped to Ikebe and has already sold.

Tim Plains

I was going to say maybe it was custom ordered in blue but your last post shot that theory down. Still looks great, IMO. The only thing I don't like about it is the knobs.

emg32

Blue is a weird color for Gibson to paint a so called "Reissue". Should have just been labeled a Custom Shop Les Paul IMO but oh well. I think it looks good in blue. Not a fan of the gold top knobs with that color either though.

It's a good top but the 2013's and 2014's seem to have a ton of great tops.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Gibson do some Custom Shop Les Pauls in different colors like that. Maybe just don't label them "Reissues".

vintage58

Gibson Custom appears to have made at least five R-8's and R-9's this year in this color (which, IIRC, is called Aqua Blue). I do agree that this particular one is a nice-looking guitar, even "as is" (i.e., in blue) — but given the near-total lack of strong, wide-flame tops this year, I find it amazing that they didn't reserve this top for a more traditional sunburst finish. As far as tops on reissues go, I've never seen a year quite like 2014. Ordinarily you see a decent top every so often during a given production year, but this year I cannot recall a single one that was truly great. This circumstance stands in stark contrast to 2013, IMO. To their credit, however, Gibson does look this year to be positively CRANKING OUT a seemingly endless parade of skinny-flame, weak tops that are equally mediocre, boring, and forgettable (and that also look roughly identical to each other).

MikeSlub

Administrator

Nothing wrong with blue tops. :hank

GotTheSilver

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Gibson do some Custom Shop Les Pauls in different colors like that. Maybe just don't label them "Reissues".

I absolutely agree. I would like to see some Custom Shop quality LP Standards in colors other than sunburst and gold. It just gets boring after a while. Give me blue, red...

Axel

I like it. Nice to see something different from the norm.

emg32

I absolutely agree. I would like to see some Custom Shop quality LP Standards in colors other than sunburst and gold. It just gets boring after a while. Give me blue, red...

I agree. I'd like to see more off the norm colors. Red, blue, trans black, green, purple, orange, etc.... If done right I think they could look killer.

I'd love to see a darker lemonish top with a VERY VISIBLE greenish hue over top of it also. Similar to the Skinner Burst but with more visible green hue.

Gold Tone

I don't know, a top like that billowing fluffy clouds screams PRS and asks to be painted blue.

vintage58

Not the best Photoshop job, but here's a rough approximation of what this guitar might have looked like in a more lemonburst-y color:

10494805_1628494020709685_4613761942794281382_n.jpg

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass

nunis_sideways_top.png

Pip

Come on - nice top, love me a little blue, cool looking Lester.

Guitardon

I love the look of this one, how much are they selling it for? It would look better with black knobs or maybe the dark amber they used in 2002.