• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson 2014: pure BS marketing drivel

guitarjb44

Simply laughable...

http://www2.gibson.com/Gibson-USA-2014.aspx

"One-piece fingerboards enhance sustain"
WHAT...?? In 2012, when you were building with two-piece laminated fingerboards, you stated there was no difference or disadvantage as compared to one-piece boards- other than the fact that there were more labor costs involved. Uh...explain(???)...please...

"Cryogenically treated frets are the longest lasting frets ever made"
Longer-lasting than stainless steel frets...???

"Undercut fret over binding lets you fly over the fingerboard"
Are you sure about that? Don't you really mean it's a way to cut labor costs while passing it off as a benefit or "improvent"? And- does this mean the $7k+ Historic Reissue Custom Shop guitars (with the traditional fret ends and binding) are not as playable as these new guitars??

"New Model Year serial numbering system enhances collectability"
What?? Please explain, Gibson...

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/107627-sorry-gibson-im-calling-you-out-on-this-one/

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Quick, somebody save that website. It will be fun to look back at that after it's gone & laugh.
Next week.

Hetfieldinn

Les Paul Froum Member
Agreed. Gibson has jumped the shark. The 12th inlay fiasco. A new CC every other day, complete with laughable prices, and constantly contradicting themselves.

jrfisher

I have but one guitar, with 256 variations.

For me, the Les Paul identity has been watered down to the point where "Pride of Ownership" is gone.

Triburst

The dumbest thing I saw was on the redesigned "Melody Maker" page, where they talk about "rock steady tuning" with retro white tuner buttons, on the bottom left but show a picture of a Nashville bridge (on a guitar that has a wrapover). Anybody awake over there?

2014 Melody Maker (link)

J T

Gibson probably outsourced the Web Page development to a company that doesn't have a clue and doesn't care but is good at sending huge bills. Par for the course nowadays. The result of non technical Managers falling for Sales guys sexy buzzwords.

Pat Boyack

I'm sure glad we all didn't fall for this marketing crap when we bought our Les Pauls. The folks who buy the 2014s are going to be idiots!! :rolleyes

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
It probably hasn't changed in 30 years. All that stuff is forgotten & the good guitars are left.

stock_hippie

Les Paul Froum Member
gee, maybe they'll make a "STOCK_HIPPIE" CC...?..that would sure be cool..!

nevizzzy

The machines will be cranked to the max making all those new models!:jaw

Texas Blues

I don't give a damn what Gibson does but I just wish they would bring back a piece of shit multi piece body p90 USA Jr.

Like Muddy said, " you don't have to be the best, just be a goodern."

I like to be liking that ern'.

lonesomesheik

One day they'll have Standard Hippie, Custom Hippie & maybe Hippie Deluxe who knows? :jim:jim:jim

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I thought it was already established that two piece fingerboards were superior. :hmm :ganz

MikeSlub

Administrator
I think the move to frets over binding really sucks. First of all, nibs are classic Gibson. The nibs were a major thing that differentiated Gibbys from the Chinese copies. This was clearly just a cost saving move. Me no likey. :hank

boyscout

Quick, somebody save that website. It will be fun to look back at that after it's gone & laugh.
Next week.

Unfortunately, it has already been up for weeks; doesn't look like the web page is going anywhere. Similar howling occurred on the other LP site when the page first appeared.

Combine this marketing blather with Gibson's recent advertisements for masses of inexperienced workers and 2014 doesn't look promising.

The ray of sunshine in the lipstick-on-a-pig announcements is that pre-2014 guitars may become more desirable.

stock_hippie

Les Paul Froum Member
One day they'll have Standard Hippie, Custom Hippie & maybe Hippie Deluxe who knows? :jim:jim:jim
...lonesomesheik...'you say the nicest things'...(You really really do!)
"I'd buy a Stock_Hippie CC...and my cousin said he'd buy 5!"