• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Did Gibson ever offer a 'factory' Kahler tremelo in a Les Paul ...

Kap'n

If the price was right, I'd consider buying a Kahler-equipped LP.

silverbursting

i have an 85 custom with a factory kahler. i'm in the process of taking it off and putting on a stop bar and bridge. Not to worried about the ditch that will be left behind...........

jrfisher

Ah Yes, It Is An Awe Inspiring Thing Of Beauty. 1983 Factory Installed Gibson Kahler on a Les Paul Standard. It's Mine, and I like it.

Kahler_02.jpg

jrnic

People here say that they don't like Kahlers because they changed the sound of a good LP because of the wood removed to install it. But others here say they would rather have a Floyd equipped LP. But think about it...... doesn't having a Floyd in a LP take out MORE wood from the body than having a Kahler in it?? I mean installing a Kahler only removes about a quarter of the wood that would be removed for the Floyd and the springs etc.

Just a thought.........

roodyrocker

I must definetly be in the minority here because I do like Kahlers as well as Floyds. I have several of both on other brand guitars and they stay in tune just fine. In fact I think they both stay in tune better than the standard style tuners on regular Les Pauls. The tone is just fine as well. Eventually I wouldn't mind getting a factory Kahler equipped Les Paul to add to my own collection.

Mars Hall

I must definetly be in the minority here because I do like Kahlers as well as Floyds. I have several of both on other brand guitars and they stay in tune just fine. In fact I think they both stay in tune better than the standard style tuners on regular Les Pauls. The tone is just fine as well. Eventually I wouldn't mind getting a factory Kahler equipped Les Paul to add to my own collection.

Yeah, staying in tune is what the Kahler is all about. I have the heavy springs on mine and I don't use the locking nut. Stays in tune just fine.

Angry Steve

I have posted here for a while about my 83 Custom with a factory Kahler. I love the guitar, and gotta say that it has all of the expected LP tone, as well some sustain that I cannot get on my other 3 LP's.
Having said that - I just found an original locking nut - so I installed it on the guitar and put a bar on for the first time - and sadly it doesn't always return to pitch - specifically if I really dive on it. Granted it probably has not been serviced for 27 years, so next time it gets a set up I will have it looked at.
But it might be my favorite Lester... something special about it.

Mick Youngblood

... during the 80s ?

... I've never heard of it. :rolleyes:

..... I know from making that mistake myself, that a Kahler completely destroys the tone of the guitar .... :tri :tri :tri

..... so why would Gibson do such a ridiculous thing ?

You know you don't even know what you don't know. I picked up an 85 ( approx.) Les Paul Custom with a factory installed Kahler and I will admit that when I first saw it I was a little repulsed but when I played it I was floored. The guitar resonated with an unusual brightness ( dare I say it wails) and the tremolo is very sensitive and adds a dimension of versatility that I thought inspired adventuristic ramblings in the same way that one appreciates a strat. And being an 80's Les Paul with a solid mahogany body ( not a pancake) adds to the seductive mix. It kicks ass, OK? So don't be a snob and listen with your ears, not your eyes. And forget what you think you know. If you can find the beast,try it.

Elliot Easton

Wonder wangers on Lesters...
Aghhhhhhhhhh!

Time to call in......
exorcist.jpg

Phil.:worm

I need a young priest and an old priest. The Kahlers were never any good because they had virtually no break angle at the bridge. The strings felt like overcooked spaghetti. I say this from the experience of ruining a few Hamers and a Fender.

JJM

A Little late to the game here -- does anyone have experience with a Kahler cavity in an '80s LP that's had a classic bridge/stopbar installed? As in: does the cavity destroy the sound of the guitar; and, can the cavity be filled (for either tonal or cosmetic purposes)?