• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

PRS and Gibson

Black58

RFMVNM.jpg

I've heard that if'n ya throw these thangs, they come back to you!

Bluesdoggie

All of the arguments offered here are perfectly valid and everyone definitely has their opinion on whether PRS instruments are a tool that can make the creative juices flow. Can the color of a guitar cause a player to play or sound better than the same model in a different color? Probably, there are so many reasons to achieve an emotional response and thats what music is all about... sound and asthetics, what moves us? People, myself included, love vintage guitars because we took some time to "graduate" to great old guitars that our heros play or played plus we love the mojo that vintage brings to the equation...I love beat up guitars with high mileage. This is a strong motive to own and love them more than any "newfangled" guitars. But more than anything Paul Smith deserves credit for making the entire industry raise their manufacturing standards. Remember back to the '70s when Gibson and Fender, both on the verge of bankruptcy flooded the market with heavy and substandard instruments. Now look at the mostly splendid guitars that are available in all price ranges.

Thanks Paul! ...and Merry Christmas Everyone, hope you get the guitar of your dreams that pushes you to the next level this year.

cliffclaven

Ive been a gibson guy, like most on this forum, all my life. Even thru the 80s, when charvels were my gigging guitars. I only own one prs, a "cheap" CE22. It plays and sounds great. I needed something to cover more range sonically in a cover band, plus i wanted something with a trem that i could actually use that wasnt a floyd rose.

My 93 lp is still the #1 tho. sounds better in nearly every aspect.

shred

That's very similar to a friend of mine. He usually gigs two early 70's LP's but has aa early 90's PRS Custom 24 for whammy bar work and single coil tones when needed. I think a PRS is a nice option for LP players who can't get along with Fenders :)