• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sometimes, only a Les Paul will do

ch willie

I've recently formed a band with a bunch of younger guys (I'm 52; they're in their 20s). I'm a classic rock kind of guy, and we're doing a bit of that, but these guys come from thrash metal. So the music has a harder edge.

I'm a Strat / Tele guy. However, they just weren't cutting it with this band. I had brought my Les Paul Std. Faded just in case. I plugged it in, and shazam. It was a star. I've got Classic 57 / 57 plus in it. It cut through the mix and allowed me to play for the band's sound. Sometimes, it takes a Les Paul with humbuckers to add that necessary power.

DanD

Glad to hear the LP is working for ya! :peace2

I really like those faded finish LPs. I bought an '06 BFG and the tone with the almost non-existent finish was real open and woody.

Like a dummy I painted it... :## Did a good job and it looks better but the open/woody tone I liked so much is gone. It sounds more focused and cleaner now. A bit subdued from the original lively feel it had. :dang

ch willie

Sorry about the results.

I expected the 57s to be too weak for this band, but my my.

DanD

Don't be! It'll go under the knife again soon... :hee

I bought it as a platform to play with. Turned out it was a pretty decent git out of the box.

57s are my fave Gibson pup. I've liked them in all manner of Gibsons. Hollow bodies, semis, chambered LPs and Histerics. :peace2

Doc Sausage

Who here uses a LP for Country - I mean, modern country. Aldeen, Gretchen, etc...???

ch willie

Well, that's good, DanD. No need to let a good guitar like that go to waste.

I've used my LP in bands before, but I never needed it like I do for this band. My back wishes my guitar were an SG, but my fingers and ears love my LP.