• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

(Silly) question about the gen. 1 Gibson protector case / chainsaw case.

Stewie

I completely disagree on this whole post. The latches aren't small, and are made of the same plastic they latch on to. The cases are barely bigger than a standard Les Paul case and are not bulky at all. I have shipped many LPs in these, and even keep one or more around only for shipping vintage LPs, where the original case is not good enough for shipping. I have never had a single problem from shipping a Les Paul in them, or fitting them in a box [the same size box Gibson uses for shipping a new Les Paul works perfectly with these].
I would always choose a Gen1 over a Gen2.
As for info, there are many threads here on the LPF that discuss them in depth.
Have you done a search here? :hmm

I was obviously talking about the one I have. Which is a Gen 2 or later, and has small metal clasps. And no I didn't do a search here, I just did a search on the Net. You expect there would be some information out there. They are about the same thickness as a 335 case which is about an and inch or so wider than a Les Paul case. So to me that is bulky. Hope it all works out for you. And the original poster.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I was obviously talking about the one I have.

Sorry, but it wasn't obvious. You posted right after V!N, who has been talking about the Gen1 case [the topic of this thread]. And he talked about using it for shipping, and then you did.
Confusion. :hmm

Vince Q

When I bought my LP Custom back in '79 it had the chainsaw case with the red lining.

BlackCatBonz

Can you repair the latches on these Gen 1 cases? When I was in high school, I swapped guitars with a buddy for the night... when he brought it back to me the next day the rear latch was broken... In his excitement to get the case open, he popped the front latches and thought it was stuck.
About 5 years later at a gig, some goofball came on to the stage and stumbled over my case and broke the bottom latch... The headstock latch has been doing all the work for the last 20 years.

Xpensive Wino

Can you repair the latches on these Gen 1 cases? When I was in high school, I swapped guitars with a buddy for the night... when he brought it back to me the next day the rear latch was broken... In his excitement to get the case open, he popped the front latches and thought it was stuck.
About 5 years later at a gig, some goofball came on to the stage and stumbled over my case and broke the bottom latch... The headstock latch has been doing all the work for the last 20 years.

Bennet Labs offers repair kits.

https://reverb.com/item/471727-gibson-protector-case-replacment-latches-gibson-chainsaw-case

Xpensive Wino

Shipping seems a bit high. I would ask him to send both for one shipping price.

They are also on eBay: 3 for $35 plus $5.50 shipping.
Maybe having the third one is worth it, as a precaution?

The later Gen I Protectors have 3 latches, Tom.