• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1997 ace frehley les paul signature

frenchphil

hi everyone!!

bonne et heureuse année 2015 a vous tous!! (so they say in my country)

i'm considering a trade with a 1997 les paul ace frehley, production model, not the custom shop

guitar seems fine and genuine and i wonder what it is worth?

the serial is classic gibson 9XXXX7XXX it's alla stock with 3 di marzios, all wired as opposed to ace's real custom

can someone here tell me how it sounds, is the bridge pickup too harsh?

is it collectable? i dont think so because it's the production model, made from 97 to 2001

any info on this is very welcomed to help me make my mind

i could trade it agaisnt my custom shop strat 60 relic

cheers

skhan007

Happy New Year! I've played just about every version of the AF series. Your model in question, being one of first, is a fine instrument. I didn't find anything harsh about the tone. If you're a rock player, this guitar is made to rock. It's a DiMarzio Super, so it has a very aggressive tone. You can lower the pickup height if you wish to mellow it a bit or swap in a different pickup all together. It's a well-built and nice instrument. As far as value in Europe, I have no idea. I would look at completed listings on your EU Ebay sites or ask dealers in your area. That guitar only appeals to KISS fans, so not a universally sought-after piece. It is not collectable, as the first run with the engraved cavity covers and limited run of 300 was the one collectors went after. Good luck!!

frenchphil

thanks skhan i appreciate the input

do you remember if it had a ebony fingerboard? i would think so

basically it's got to be a custom but with a maple cap

any other imput is welcomed

cheers

skhan007

Yes, ebony board, custom Ace inlays, nice binding, MOP tuner tips, and all the appointments of a LP custom. It was/is a very well made guitar.

frenchphil

yes tom sorry my mistake it is indeed correct

the first digit is 9 and the fifth is 7 so 1997 i have the pictures

it's a production model not custom shop (the famous 300)

so it's got nickel grover tuners not the mother of pearl banjo style ones

it's not in my area so i was hoping someone had one and could give me a report or what is the general opinion on this one

frenchphil

thanks again skank but as i said it's got stock nickel grover tuners no MOP tulip

it's the production model, gibson usa

but i suppose there was not much difference in quality between production and custom shop one, maybe just the cosmetics and pickups

what do you think?

frenchphil

hii marshall

no i didnt get it ii'm still wondering and the other guy is not in a hurry either

it sort of fell down my custom shop strat is really amazing and i'm not sure about the ace les paul especially the pickup

i was waiting for tone reports and i saw a video of scott grove demoing it and what he said about the bridge pickup was not too great

i havent made up my mind have you tried it?

Raw Materials

That Ace guitar is great. The pickups rock.
Custom shop strats are a dime a dozen.
GET IT WHILE YOU CAN!

My .02
:dude:

frenchphil

thanks raw!! i appreciate

i was not thinking about collectability, and the ace guitar is standard production, not the famous custom shop 300 just regular

but it's out of production, dont know how many were released

as for the strat it is a limited run of 50 released for summer namm 2004

so for that aspect i'm not sure, but that is not my main concern

i guess i should go and try the guitar

or forget about it it must be gone by now

how much would the ace sig cost on the used market in the usa?

Xpensive Wino

how much would the ace sig cost on the used market in the usa?

$9985 for this:

$_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-CUST...D-/331458775107?pt=Guitar&hash=item4d2c7b8843

Here's one for $5900.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Cust...e-/110913737383?pt=Guitar&hash=item19d2f952a7

More at this link: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Guitar-/3858/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ace+frehley+guitar

frenchphil

thanks wiinos but that's not the guitar i'm offered for a trade

the one i'm on about is the sig model made from 97 through 01

it's got ace's face on the headstock lightning bolt inlays flamed top chrome grover tuners the serial number is classic gibson and made in usa

the 3 di marzios are wired your picture is the budokan more recent and different

Xpensive Wino

frenchphil

exactement mon grand !! merci beaucoup

this is the one!! this one is really nice makes me reconsider

IAN23

So whats the price of these today? Considering trading up for one