• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1983 studio standard?

alainguitars

This just came in today. 1985 studio (not 83)
DSC01782.jpg

DSC01775.jpg

DSC01776.jpg

DSC01777.jpg

1985 studio standard
Here's my dilemma. I bought this to install a pair of custom pups I have on hand. When I took the pups out I noticed they have a stamped# and a very small paf sticker. Pups have never been opened and all solder connections in the cavity are virgin. Are these Shaws? They read 7.27 neck, 7.33 bridge. If they're Shaws should I leave them alone? The other problem is the frets are hardly played but are very low. typical of the mid 80's. I don't think I can get used to them since I bend a lot. Is it worth refretting the guitar or would I be butchering a guitar that someone else would rather have pristine? I know this is not a high end guitar but it has some collectible value.

Last edited:

cool hand luc

I re-fretted my 80 LP and have not regretted the decision. But I don't plan on ever selling the guitar. It plays SOOOO much better and its intonation is proper now. The flat frets don't give you a good fulcrum point and in turn don't have good intonation in my opinion. My 2 cents.

Henk

If youll give us more info, pics of the #numbers and pickups well most definately can give you the answer to your questions, but with this info i cant base anything on the info/pics provided....

Looks great though!

alainguitars

Here's a couple of more pics of the pups and the sticker. Sorry for the poor pics.

DSC01783.jpg

DSC01784.jpg

DSC01786.jpg

Thanks

Henk

OK, i cant see a PAF decal anywhere, but Shaws have either just the pat number embossed(late 80s shaws) on the baseplate or the pat number embossed and a serial number stamped in ink(early 80s shaws).

Seems correct, allthough i must add that the pictures are too blurred to be sure.

Cant find any info on this standard with dot inlays though, but its definately no studio.

alainguitars

Here's a couple of more pics of the pups and the sticker. Sorry for the poor pics.

DSC01783.jpg

DSC01784.jpg

DSC01786.jpg

Thanks

The pups only have one set of embossed numbers. No ink. I'll try to get better pics tomorrow. I did find the small paf stickers in the cavity. I guess they fell off the pups over the years. Don't know why the pics reappeared on this reply? I'm trying to lose them.

Last edited:

dlacx

I don't think a refret will do any damage to the value on that one. It is a nice looking piece! You will probably enjoy it more that way (with newer frets).

Seoighs

Alain:

Are you the guy who bought that one off the 'Bay. I always watch Studio Standards, as I have a fondness for them...I have an '84 (white) and an '85 (tobacco burst), both with the original Gen II Protectors. They were essentially identical to Standards at that time except for the installation of dot vs block markers. Original Studio Standards are underrated IMO, and prices have continued to climb even in the past 2 years. I was seriously tempted by that Cherry!

To answer your questions, those ARE Shaws if the p'ups are original, and it's hard to find a better sound. To answer others, the 'PAF' sticker is in script on the top of the p'up rings.

As to a re-fret, you need to decide. Yes, they are low by nature, but I'd want to ensure that any fret work I had done included retention/restoration of the nibs. Just my $.02.

Enjoy :salude

alainguitars

Seoighs,

Yes that was me. Just trying to find something with the right feel for some pups I have. Every joint on this guitar is virgin including the pups. Those little stickers on the pup covers ended up inside the cavities. I guess they just curled up over time. The neck on this feels great but I really can't work the frets. They are so low that the high notes above the 12th fret die off if I apply vibrato. They kind of get choked. It's not the neck because its perfect, no ski jump. I find the tone very different from other Pauls. It's very sweet and round probably the Shaws. I was really looking for a home for my Stephen's Design VL's which are definitely more aggressive in the midrange. I'll have to think this one over.

Leña_Costoso

Studio Standard, also un-officially called the Standard Dot. Brother Vic has one, a sweet guitar. Here it is (bad picture), with a really nice burst. In his "studio".
CB_LESTER.jpg

RonG

Alain:

Are you the guy who bought that one off the 'Bay. I always watch Studio Standards, as I have a fondness for them...I have an '84 (white) and an '85 (tobacco burst), both with the original Gen II Protectors. They were essentially identical to Standards at that time except for the installation of dot vs block markers. Original Studio Standards are underrated IMO, and prices have continued to climb even in the past 2 years. I was seriously tempted by that Cherry!

To answer your questions, those ARE Shaws if the p'ups are original, and it's hard to find a better sound. To answer others, the 'PAF' sticker is in script on the top of the p'up rings.

As to a re-fret, you need to decide. Yes, they are low by nature, but I'd want to ensure that any fret work I had done included retention/restoration of the nibs. Just my $.02.

Enjoy :salude

I think the body on the studio standard is not as think as a standard.

MM TEXAS

I've never seen a red one before. That sure is nice. I know where a tobacco one is in a pawn shop, but its been tinkered with a bit. Around what would one of those be worth with non original pickups? It still has the protector case. Sorry to ask, but just wondering.

Seoighs

I think the body on the studio standard is not as think as a standard.

You're correct. The mahogany is 0.25 in. thinner than my Standards, though the maple cap is the same on both. The tone is indistinguishable (to my ears), and the SS is lighter at 7.75-8.0 lbs. than any of the standards or historics I have owned. Another difference is gold HS decal vs inlay on standards. There is a slight perception of increased value for the earliest SS's, as they were made in Kalamazoo in '83 and early '84, and covered the period of transition to the Nashville factory, though the build quality of any that I have seen is consistently excellent, regardless of year or place of manufacture. That is possibly due to the experienced workforce, some of whom probably made the trip South, at least initially.

MM TEXAS:

Prices vary, but as with anything else, the more original the better. Unmolested SS's go for between $1,000 - $1,400 these days if they have the original protector case. I bought mine for $650 (white '84) five years ago, and $800 (tobacco '85) three years ago. Colors were black, white, cherry burst, tobacco burst, and a (very) limited number in solid cherry like Alain's (I'm jealous).

The Tim Shaw p'ups were commissioned by Gibson as an early effort to duplicate original PAFs in construction, down to the same wire and winding count. Because of that and somewhat sadly, a lot of SS's have been stripped of their original Shaws.

They were made for only three years, and prices for nice examples have risen steadily. I'm not planning to sell mine.

59humbucker

No offense to those who find them something special (I'm sure they're nice) but its not a vintage burst.

I'd refrett it and probably have crown inlays fitted and play the crap out of that thing!

Gibson make so many models in all kinds of limited runs that it's rare that one becomes worth massively more than others of its type. I say it's more important to satisfy yourself as a player that someone else as a collector

Chuckie K

Congrats, very nice!

I have an '87 Studio Standard Cherryburst all original, they are sweet guitars.

alainguitars

At this point I think I'm sending it back to the seller. I would have to rework the whole guitar to make it work for me. Frets, nut, pots&caps, nut. The guitar had also been described as weighing 7.7lbs. but is actually 9.2lbs. I was looking for an inexpensive platform to try different pups. I fell in love with it's look and color but there's no point in spending the $ to upgrade when I could get into a used R7 for almost the same money. Great neck though, in between a 50's & 60's.

stock_hippie

Les Paul Froum Member
At this point I think I'm sending it back to the seller. I would have to rework the whole guitar to make it work for me. Frets, nut, pots&caps, nut. The guitar had also been described as weighing 7.7lbs. but is actually 9.2lbs. I was looking for an inexpensive platform to try different pups. I fell in love with it's look and color but there's no point in spending the $ to upgrade when I could get into a used R7 for almost the same money. Great neck though, in between a 50's & 60's.
SHEEESH R7 IS COOL