• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Historic of the Month - October 2014

Stoj

That is an absolute beauty Mike, I look fwd to seeing & hearing more every month :salude

By the time we get through your collection I'll be old & grey :rofl

J T

All right that's it, I give up. Can't come close to that. Looking forward to next month maybe.

:)

Triburst

Ha ha! So much for setting the bar low, and building up! What a top!:teeth

Red Baron

Great idea Mike... and a very unique guitar to kick things off. :jim

ppgf

i'll never forget walking into gibson's booth @ the "99 namm show in la. the wall of r9s was so mind blowing that i pulled reinhold bogner out of the pit to check them out with me.

5 minutes after reinhold and i walked into the booth, he had 2 japanese cats with notepads following him around, interviewing him.
99 was one of the, if not THE most important years in terms of Gibson making strides toward making the Historics more historically accurate. I recently, as many of you know, got a 99 after not having one for many years, and was astounded at what a great guitar it is.

Yours is a world class example!:dude:

Guys...if y'all have an Historic that is near and dear to your heart, and there's a great back story as to your hunt for it, let Mike know about it.
I love hearing about the hunt almost as much as seeing the guitars!:yah

Tonefiend

Fiendish One
They had some outrageous wood back than. Utterly mind blowing!

I have a great story to tell. In 99 I was living and working up in the bay area. I was scouting the local lumber yards for some good wood as I like to do. I came across this place on San Jose who deals in hardwoods. I was in their warehouse and found 2 pallets 4x4x3 stacked with the most outrageous eastern flame billets. Large enough for arch tops.

Both were shrink wrapped and had Gibson USA logoed tags on them. From Gibson. I asked the manager what was up. He told me they had to take the wood back from Gibson because they didn't pay their bill. They were asking $250 a piece for them which was good money back then. I picked up as many as I could afford. I would suspect the rest went back to them. To this day they were the best tops I have ever seen.