• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

If Gibson was outfitting the Historics with the closest "plastic" what would it be?

corpses

Re: If Gibson was outfitting the Historics with the closest "plastic" what would it b

The more played LP's I see the more I like the vibe the original worn plastic has- CD's 1999 is case in point.
But whatever you do keep the original plastic handy- at sell time it needs to be all stock- I don't care if those butyl rings cost $249 (swallow hard).
And a big "now way" to the tonal impact of the rings. It is 100% aesthetic- and 100% tied to the $$$ spent.
That said the guitar in my avatar has danelectro family receipe dyed dimarzio rings, and a mojotone PG, and a dyed blue collar guitar aprts R/T ring. But the origional parts are right in the parts drawer in a bag.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Re: If Gibson was outfitting the Historics with the closest "plastic" what would it b

Remember the guy that thought inlays made a tonal difference?
lol

expo

My R/T poker chips ..available thru vintagehaven :peace2

left is Gladys , right is the repro

Gladysvscelluloid1_zps18d6fff6.jpg

bobbradley

Tuners- most current gibson
Switch tip- I use the fatboy but I'm not happy with any of them
Rings- Bartlett or throbak
Poker chip- retrospect or vintage haven
Pickguard-mojo ax
Knobs- retrospec they don't crack and if your using stock gibson pots beware of putting original knobs on unless you want to crack them up.
Jack plate-RS

I also like martin six string customs parts
The fatboy stuff was pretty good
Most things retrospect are solid

Thankfully, gibson has improved some things like the toggle nut and hardware in general maybe the plastic is next!

Last edited: