• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1969-70 LPC

martie6621

I have come across a guitar that for sentimental reasons( year), has been of interest to me.
Found this either 69 or 70 LPC. Serial # begins with 766.....small volute....no Made in USA markings. Original purple lined case. Frets are good....No dotted i in Gibson.

Feeling good

23tlax0.jpg

izroz6.jpg

2emflm0.jpg

Last edited:

Jumping@Shadows

Pots/harness has been rebuilt and the tailpiece looks new(er) but otherwise looks good :) those small frets are imo *very* hard to get on with

moonweasel

Re: 69-70 LPC

Hi Martie,

Definitely not a 1969. I don't think I have heard of a 7xx,xxx serial in 1970, could you be misreading it? Could it be 166xxx or 966xxx?

The only thing I see that could an issue (probably isnt) is that the saddles on the ABR are nearly maxed out. If the bridge was installed in the wrong spot back in the day, it might be hard to intonate it which would be a deal breaker for me.

Of course, they could just be out of wack for whatever reason (maybe he cleaned the bridge and took it apart in the process and put it back together without setting it up), and she simply is NOT intonated right now. Then you'd be in the clear. Bring a tuner and do a rough intonation check before you do the deed. Maybe check the pot codes as well to narrow down what year it is. It could be a 74-ish guitar as well.

Progrocker111

The headstock and the logo looks like 71 or later to me. Definitely not 69 or 70. In 1970 the logo had block square type letters and this one is the classical Norlin logo used since mid 71 until 79.

There are still nylon saddles on bridge, so i think this is 1971 or even early 72. But to be 100% sure, tell us the pots codes - 137xxyy, where xx is a year and yy a week.

martie6621

The headstock and the logo looks like 71 or later to me. Definitely not 69 or 70. In 1970 the logo had block square type letters and this one is the classical Norlin logo used since mid 71 until 79.

There are still nylon saddles on bridge, so i think this is 1971 or even early 72. But to be 100% sure, tell us the pots codes - 137xxyy, where xx is a year and yy a week.

Would a 71 not have the MISUA label? - this one does not. That started sometime in 1970 didn;t it?

Progrocker111

Interesting with the pots numbers.:wah

But still all other specs are 71-72. Early 71 logo was this type (notice the smaller 60s like diamond shape too and not so sharp horns on headstock like after 71)

IMG_3463.jpg

garywright

like JS mentioned there's been some activity in the control cavity which would be no big deal to me if I was in the market and if it was priced right ...do you know the weight ?

martie6621

weight is on heavy side...probably 10ish.

Consensus seems to favor 71 - with no Made in USA? Was that documented that in 1971 some left factory that way?

martie6621

2qd95jb.jpg

wcla9x.jpg

jsmwxf.jpg

Couple more pics. Was hoping she was a 1970 but I guess she's still a nice 71

Last edited:

Progrocker111

A bit mysterious guitar. :wah The serial number looks like not original to me, the numbers are stamped untypically deep into wood. The finish seems to be original though.

Btw., there are no big differences between 70s and 71s.

martie6621

I ran a blue light over the entire guitar and looked real closely at the serial number. There was no visual seems or color changes in any part of the neck. Are you saying the serial # was altered - if so would not tampering be revealed in a black light view?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Won't Gibson give you info on this era guitars from their ledgers?
I seem to remember that members here got the shipping dates for their Les Pauls from Gibson. :hmm

martie6621

Won't Gibson give you info on this era guitars from their ledgers?
I seem to remember that members here got the shipping dates for their Les Pauls from Gibson. :hmm

Not sure - just contact customer service?