• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

SUPER early 1968 Les Paul Standard, earliest I have seen

moonweasel

Just got an email from over the Atlantic about a "strange" 1968. I just received some pictures, and it is really neat.

Not 100% condition, as it has a refret and what looks to be some overspray on the neck, but it is SUPER early.

975xxx serial with a crown headstock, logo-less truss rod cover.

To some of the uninitiated, 99% of LSLP's follow a pattern of shipping order like this ---> 500xxx-565xxx-800xxx-896xxx

There are mere handful of guitars with a 985xxx, and I believe I remember an LPC with an 894xxx that are actually July or possible June '68 guitars. This one, with a 975xxx is by far the earliest serial I have seen. The shipping dates aren't one-to-one with serials, but a 10,000 unit difference implies that this really is earlier than the 985xxx guitars.

After this gentleman purchases the guitar (IF he does), I will ask to post pics

PS - MONSTER NECK, this things heel is the size of a Cadillac.

sgtJoe

I owned a 68 gold top for a few years in the early 80s that had the crown on the headstock, can't recall he SN, I might have it somewhere. I bought it from Bart Whtrock at Rockin Robin in Houston, traded it back to him some time later. It looked a lot like the one on page 42 of the Tony Bacon /Paul Day Gibson Les Paul book, the position of the strap button was not in the normal spot, like the one in that photo. I have a few photos of it.

moonweasel

Hey Sarge,

Cool stuff! If you feel up to it, I am always collecting photos. :) My email address is my username @ hot mail.com Thanks!

Big Al

LunarVarmint!!
I
just want to thank you for all the work and effort you have put into collecting real data that is available for those interested and facinated with these Historical Les Pauls. I believe these were the first EVER guitar models to be reinstated into the line after being dropped from production. Thanks Brother, someone had to do it.

moonweasel

LunarVarmint!!
I
just want to thank you for all the work and effort you have put into collecting real data that is available for those interested and facinated with these Historical Les Pauls. I believe these were the first EVER guitar models to be reinstated into the line after being dropped from production. Thanks Brother, someone had to do it.

You're too kind Al!

LPF got me started (Wilko and TW), and the rest just had to be done. There was nothing out there when I found mine. Or should I say it found me. :) Site isn't perfect, but it will keep getting better over time.

Al, if you are looking for some reading, you might enjoy the history of my particular guitar. LINK --> http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/5595xx.asp

The Featured Guitar section is fun too. People submit them to me from all over the world. LINK --> http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/featured.asp

I, respectfully, feel these guitars should be in the Vintage section. The vast majority were made by CMI (not Norlin, not that there is anything wrong with that, I dig Norlin :) ), in the same factory, and by some of the same people 45 years ago. Oh god, feel old. My guitar was 35 when I found it and first came here hahah.

Yardbird Mac

Just got an email from over the Atlantic about a "strange" 1968. I just received some pictures, and it is really neat.

Not 100% condition, as it has a refret and what looks to be some overspray on the neck, but it is SUPER early.

To some of the uninitiated, 99% of LSLP's follow a pattern of shipping order like this ---> 500xxx-565xxx-800xxx-896xxx

There are mere handful of guitars with a 985xxx, and I believe I remember an LPC with an 894xxx that are actually July or possible June '68 guitars. This one, with a 975xxx is by far the earliest serial I have seen. The shipping dates aren't one-to-one with serials, but a 10,000 unit difference implies that this really is earlier than the 985xxx guitars.

I had one from Sept. 1969 - March 1972. Up until I bought my R9 in 2005, that was the best guitar I've ever owned. I didn't realize at the time what a jewel I had in my hands. I can confirm the monster neck, mine was huge. I don't know if the headstock was actually small/narrow or if the girth of the neck made it appear that way. At the time, I thought the crown inlay was a little strange, but I was just glad (actually, in a state of euphoria) to have the privilege of owning a Les Paul.

I bought the guitar from The Chicago Store in Tucson Arizona (that's a story in itself). In 1970 I moved to Colorado Springs. While living there I took the guitar out to Johnny Smith's music store for a setup. His was the only GIBSON dealership in the area that I trusted to work on that guitar. When I got the guitar back I was a little poorer ($$$) but the guitar "rang like a bell", nice action and tone. He had one little quirk I didn't understand. I asked him about adjusting the pole pieces on the P90s and he tried to tell me that pole piece height had no effect on volume or tone.:ha Oh well... He was a class act musician and who was I to argue?

Several years ago a friend of mine told me he saw where some of the early 68s were going for $16,000 - $20,000 at auction.:hmm

Yardbird Mac

It would be out of my league to try to hunt one of these down and purchase it. Can anyone tell me if an R6 appointments would come close to the 68 GT. As I recall, the 68 GT had reflector knobs and nylon bridge saddles.*

*What tonal qualities do nylon saddles vs metal saddles have?

Last edited:

sgtJoe

Hey Sarge,

Cool stuff! If you feel up to it, I am always collecting photos. :) My email address is my username @ hot mail.com Thanks!

Ok , I ll hunt them down and scan them so I can send them, thx

Here it is for anyone else interested.

Last edited:

Red Baron

Several years ago a friend of mine told me he saw where some of the early 68s were going for $16,000 - $20,000 at auction.:hmm

[/COLOR]

Prior to the economic downturn they definitely were selling in that region, I sold mine for $20k however I sold one for a friend last year (same condition as mine) and the most we could get for it was $12.5k. I still see them advertised for $20k but they're not moving at that price.

moonweasel

The 20 to 12 dive seems pretty inline with what the whole market did, right? I dont really follow the $$$ side of things, but that seems about right.

moonweasel

It would be out of my league to try to hunt one of these down and purchase it. Can anyone tell me if an R6 appointments would come close to the 68 GT. As I recall, the 68 GT had reflector knobs and nylon bridge saddles.*

*What tonal qualities do nylon saddles vs metal saddles have?

Yardbird, I can't speak for the nylon vs. metal as I have only played LSLP's that have been switched.

Are you familiar with Historic neck sizes? They feel huge to ppl new to them. That said, an R6 would be a great substitute for a LSLP if they are too hard to find / too expensive. That said, Gibson is asking a f$%king arm and a leg for even Goldtop RI's these days. :) If an R6 is $3500-4400, I am pretty sure you could find a LSLP with an issue or two fairly easily in that range. The best part? No depreciation. :)

I love Historics though. I have an R4 that I love to death.

Yardbird Mac

Yardbird, I can't speak for the nylon vs. metal as I have only played LSLP's that have been switched.

Are you familiar with Historic neck sizes? They feel huge to ppl new to them. That said, an R6 would be a great substitute for a LSLP if they are too hard to find / too expensive. That said, Gibson is asking a f$%king arm and a leg for even Goldtop RI's these days. :) If an R6 is $3500-4400, I am pretty sure you could find a LSLP with an issue or two fairly easily in that range. The best part? No depreciation. :)

I love Historics though. I have an R4 that I love to death.

I have a 2004 R9 that is my main guitar now. When I got this thing (new) in 2005 I was amazed at how big the neck is (not as big as the R7s though). That said... the 68 GT neck was bigger and I don't think it was tapered all that much.

When I lived in Colorado Springs, I jammed with at least 2 other guys that had this identical configuration, possibly a 3rd. Of the ones made, there must have been a bunch that landed in the west - south west in those days. I could be mistaken, though. That was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away!

I ended up trading it off plus a little $$$ on a "72" cherry sunburst LP Deluxe (I wanted humbuckers) that ended up being a huge disappointment!:##

Last edited:

JBLPplayer

When an Englishman uses the word "Strange" to describe a guitar that would be my cue to lace up the high boots and run. :dude:

Joe B

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
When an Englishman uses the word "Strange" to describe a guitar that would be my cue to lace up the high boots and run. :dude:

Joe B

I think moonweasel used the word strange? Depends 'who' the Englishman is? Where's the pics?

valcotone

:) If an R6 is $3500-4400, I am pretty sure you could find a LSLP with an issue or two fairly easily in that range.

Indeed. The two I picked up over the last couple of years were in that range, or less. Fine fine player guitars!

Thanks Moonweasel for compiling and sharing all the data through your fine website... I referenced it often when shopping for my 69s.

moonweasel

Don't read into strange too much, I arbitrarily chose that word. :) I've written about four multi-page papers in the past week and a half and am fried. I probably should have said unusual etc.

Valco, so happy the site helped you out!

Joe, thanks again for the go ahead on posting the pics of your old 68 to my site. I put a link on its page to 'A New Day Yesterday Live' at Amazon to say "thanks". Given it's a guitar nerd site, I don't know how many sales it will get you. :)

Link to those who haven't seen Joe's old LSLP, audio sample too (via amazon) ---> http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/joeb1968.asp

Last edited:

abalonevintage

I bought the guitar from The Chicago Store in Tucson Arizona (that's a story in itself).

It was dream of mine to go there! I've known about it since the 80's, but never made it.

Oh, the stories I've been told!!!!!!! :dang

oldflame

My old one had a 9 start on the number. It's on your webpage in the 'stange' section. :peace2