• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1972 Goldtop with P90s

BobbyS

It was officially called a Les Paul 58 model back in the early 70's. They're pretty rare. Most of them that I've come across are fairly heavy. Some have tunomatics but most have stop tailpieces only like a real 54. I've seen some that were sunbursts. Also, the P 90 covers have Gibson embossed on them.

moonweasel

Ive never heard that term, but those are pretty cool guitars. They are NOT made like a 68/69 GT, contrary to what he says.

For that $$$$, I would rather have a 68 GT any day of the week.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
That's what Gibson called the "Les Paul Standard 58"

It's in almost all the books. Not like a 68 at all (as that ad says) or like a 58 (as Gibson said)

CutieJones

Asking $12500 is wishful thinking. And about nearly double the buyitnow price of one on ebay right now.

Deputy Dog

Looks like I made the LP Forum! I didn't state that the guitar is made exactly like a 68/69. I said "basically", as in its a one piece neck, one peice body with a small headstock. I was implying it wasn't constructed like a typical 70's Norlin.

As far as the eBay add for half the price, I think thats the one with all the extra holes in the back of the headstock, the wrong tuning keys and boo boo rings? Its all about condition.

"Wishful thinking"...maybe :salude ...guess it depends on who's looking for one in mint condition. Had an offer just under my asking price last night and a meeting for this weekend is in the works.

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00975.jpg

Wilko

It looks to be in good condition and those models are getting good money (even though they are tanks)

Anything in great condition is getting top money right now (and always will)

Deputy Dog

If your talking about a "tank" (I guessing you're refering to the weight) this one is a hair under 9 lbs.

Heres a couple more pix for those who aren't familiar with this model including one of the binding in the cutaway with maple showing.

DSCN1135.jpg

DSCN1127.jpg

DSCN1137.jpg

DSCN1153.jpg

moonweasel

I think my post came across wrong. I would LOVE to have one, I just would rather have 68.

Im sure it is a fun guitar. I remember somewhere seeing one sell for that much, and yours is as clean as they come.

BobbyS

Deputy Dog - I've been on the lookout for that model for a long time. Yours is absolutely the nicest one (and lightest) I've seen. If it were mine I'd wait a few years to sell. Look at the current prices on 68 goldtops!

Wilko

under 9 pounds?!

You will get top dollar. That's gotta sound as good as it looks.

CutieJones

As far as the eBay add for half the price, I think thats the one with all the extra holes in the back of the headstock, the wrong tuning keys and boo boo rings? Its all about condition.

Well, I'm sure the dinghiders are factory . . . and the condition of the said guitar looks as good as yours apart from the changed tuners. I dont think a changed set of tuners is worth $5000 !
Check it out everbody
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320182307446&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

sbklein

Seems pricey. Two years ago I bought a sunburst version with TOM for a little over 3K. I know, times change. But you can still pick these up for under 8K (check the Guitar Broker's web page for current, relevant evidence).

Deputy Dog

I dont think a changed set of tuners is worth $5000 !

I'm pretty thick skinned so I don't take offense to any of the comments. After all, thats what forums are for.

I agree with the comment about changed tuners not being worth 5k. But to me (and I'm sure others will disagree), holes drilled in the headstock drastically change the value of a guitar. I guess it depends if you're looking for a collector or a player.

I sold a 1972 '54 Custom LE last november for 9k that was almost as clean as the Goldtop. They're also somewhat rare but were made in considerable more numbers than the Goldtops. I realize the market is soft but I'm in no rush.

CutieJones

Hey Dep Dog, did your 54 LE Custom have the fat rounded heel or the flat shallow type? I've seen both and am trying to determine what if any significance there is regarding production dates.

Jimmy Murray

I have one. I bought in '72. Awesome guitar. Mine was stolen by one of Boz Scaggs roadies and I got it back. Found them in Boone ,NC the next day 300 miles away. They said it was confused with his Custom. Anyway, I love this guitar.