• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Any love for the ten pound Les Paul?

Aloha_Mark

10+ pounds on the lap is not a problem. Slung over the shoulder, and standing up is an issue. My 1968 LP weighs more than a boat anchor with an albatross on top. So, take some advice from BB King. Learn how to play sitting down. Lucille is one heavy mama.

Reverend David

With a shout out to Big Al :eek:la

My two heaviest are my Alpine White 89 Les Paul Custom at 11lbs 2oz and my Candy Apple Red 83 Les Paul Standard at 10lbs 4oz and they are my favorite guitars for tone, fit and feel. Never had an issue with holding them for a 4 hour gig, like many have already mentioned I use wide soft leather straps to even the weight around. I always felt a bit sore all over the day after a gig but I attributed that more to loading all the gear in and then out afterwards plus the performing for that four hour stretch in between. It was like I had an all nighter with a hot babe and it was a good hurt the next day.

:teeth

Billy Porter

Our rehearsals and gigs are usually about 3 hours long. I swap guitars around more often for shoulder relief than for what the song needs (try playing Sultans of Swing on an LP :rolleyes )

My 73 LPC weighs 9.5 pounds which is apparently quite light for a Norlin of that era however, it’s always a relief to swap to the 8.25 pound Tele or Strat. (I’ve 2 Teles and a Strat all around 8.25 pounds but I’d swear that one of Teles is heavier - the scales don’t lie though) I’m only a small bloke though and in good health but I really notice the difference.

Back in the early 80s I worked in a music store and back then the heavier the guitar, the better. You could hardly lift some Yamaha SG2000s and we sold brass kits for Ibanezes and Les Pauls with brass scratch-plates, nuts, knobs, switch-tip and poker chip. Men were men back then - wonder if their backs are fine nowadays :rofl

MarcB

My first post..
..and my first LP AAA top honeyburst 2022.. which is 10lb and some.. lol
Was just wondering what the consensus is about 10lb’ers.
I have to say it sounds pretty good. F5BAD654-AA0B-4B3A-9088-061F76498526.jpeg

RDL

My Gibsons weigh in at 10 and just over and sound great. My Epiphone IBG Custom is a full pound lighter and when playing is not really noticable heavier. I dont subscribe to the weight theory. In my experience of 40 odd years its build quality and materials that make the difference. I had a Tokai LS70 f for many years. It weighed 8.9 pounds It felt a little lighter on my shoulder but not much. Sounder great. I always buy by playability and sound. Weight and cosmetics are secondary for me.

Last edited:

MarcB

My Gibsons weigh in at 10 and just over and sound great. My Epiphone IBG Custom is a full pound lighter and when playing is not really noticable heavier. I dont subscribe to the weight theory. In my experience of 40 odd years its build quality and materials that make the difference. I had a Tokai LS70 f for many years. It weighed 8.9 pounds It felt a little lighter on my shoulder but not much. Sounder great. I always buy by playability and sound. Weight and cosmetics are secondary for me.
I’ve always preferred a heavier guitar.. (being an ex bass player) .. I recently also bought a 61 Gibson SG reissue and out of the three available, chose the 7lb.4, which was the heavier of the three.
Plus one of my 335s has a heft to it .. and doesn’t bother me in the slightest.
I do subscribe to “wood tone” theory.. and believe the mass of a guitar would dictate its tone.
So for me personally.. a heavy guitar would have more value for recording purposes.. as live it wouldn’t make the slightest difference.

Also the word “heavy” used in anything guitar or music related has more weight to it .. eg there’s no such genre as “light rock” lol

Reactions: RDL

Gridlock

My first Les Paul was a ‘70s Les Paul Custom, so to me, a Les Paul should weigh around 10 lbs.

I’ve actually sold a few very nice Gibson and Fender guitars that I owned, because they just felt too light for me.

My latest Les Paul Custom weighs 10.6 lbs.

IMG_0732.jpeg

MarcB

My first Les Paul was a ‘70s Les Paul Custom, so to me, a Les Paul should weigh around 10 lbs.

My latest Les Paul Custom weighs 10.6 lbs.
View attachment 22960
That’s a beaut.. 🤩..congratulations!

.. even though I’ve only just got my LP, I’ve played on many other peoples over the years.. and they were always heavy guitars.. it’s how I kinda associate LPs.. as being “heavy”

Señor Verde

I had a 10 lb Les Paul. It looked cool and sounded great. At first I thought the heavy weight wouldn't be an issue, but it was. My current 8 lb R7 and R8 sound just as good and feel better to play on a 3+ hour gig.

lure555

Swirling Vortex of Sound, Classic Club
My best playing/sounding guitar is also the heaviest, and it's a Les Paul.
My #1 is ten pounds. Never thought much about it until I got my Tribute. Still love my #1 so much I made a video about it:

I've made a lot of changes to the guitar, which is mostly why I prefer it. I used to have another just like it, weight-wise, but it was a dog. Stiff feeling and sounding. Nothing I did made it any more inspiring to play.

Last edited: