• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe Walsh, EAgles and the Norlin Les Paul

Wally

Well, so soulweb doesnt' like Norlin guitars and sonar doesn't like The Eagles.
I suppose that for both soulweb and sonar to see and hear Glenn Frey using a black Norlin-ear Sonex would be the end of days sign or something equally bad??? LOL....because he uses one of those things on stage, IIRC.
I'll take Joe Walsh's read on both aspects of what has transpired in this thread. Joe Walsh made money with Norlin-era guitars, and he has been an integral part of The Eagles for a long time now...and fully respects the musicianship of the members of the band.
I wasn't a big EAgle's fan until I went to a Rolling Stones concert at teh Cotton Bowl in 1975,....T-Rex, Montrose, The Eagles and the Stones. I had been overseas, so I wasn't exposed to much of the Eagles' stuff at that p int. The concert started at 2 P.M. T-Rex and Montrose had their many fans among the 110,000 or so who were there sweating it out in 100+ weather.
The EAgles took the stage...and by the time they had finished their first song, EVERYONE in the stadium knew that the real deal had just begun. Electricity was flowing around the venue. They did their job.....and then they played 'Oh, Carol' for an encore. I knew then that was a friendly challenge for the Stones. Sure enough, the Stones encored with.....''Oh, Carol"....with Keef at that point still blowing the guitar riff that begins with a prebent double stop. Years later, C. Berry tried to teach Keef how to hit that lick...but Keith couldn't hear the difference between bending the double stop up after hitting it or prebending, hitting it and releasing the bend....as Chuck does the lick. LOL Great concert...with two great bands and two really good ones that played before the Eagles. I have been an Eagles fan ever since....with some eras more to my liking than others, for sure.....but still a fan.

marshall1987

And McDonald's outsells every other restaurant in the world. So what?

You want to discuss guitars and guitar players, or greasy cheeseburgers? If it's the latter try a different forum such as cheeseburgers.com:bug

sonar

You want to discuss guitars and guitar players, or greasy cheeseburgers? If it's the latter try a different forum such as cheeseburgers.com:bug

You want to discuss record sales and force some type of correlation between amount of sales and quality of music? If you do, then the McDonald's analogy fits in the discussion.

marshall1987

You want to discuss record sales and force some type of correlation between amount of sales and quality of music? If you do, then the McDonald's analogy fits in the discussion.

Let's see... in you mind The Eagles with Joe Walsh is equivalent to a MacDonald cheeseburger? Your well has run dry...hang it up. BTW how many records have you sold? :bigal

houndog31

To Joe Walsh guitars are tools for making music, he's said as much over the years. No doubt he likes nice stuff and he's been associated with some of the best guitars available but he mainly plays off the rack new guitars these days and makes it all work just fine.

Sean French

I like Norlin Gibsons. I've owned several over the years. I've also owned a '57 and played many other 50's Gibson's.
Plug a coveted '59 and a Norlin into a Marshall on 10 and nobody listening can tell a difference.

Oh shit! What did he just say.

Joe Walsh played mostly Norlin LP's with the James Gang.

JR-Special

To Joe Walsh guitars are tools for making music, he's said as much over the years. No doubt he likes nice stuff and he's been associated with some of the best guitars available but he mainly plays off the rack new guitars these days and makes it all work just fine.

And that's because the quality of the guitars built today is amazingly high. Gibson, Fender, PRS, and many other brands are so well built.Even the low end stuff is well made these days. Off the rack today is yesterdays best of the lot. Not a knock on Norlin era, those were well made and a great guitar in the day, I just think overall, today's guitars are built to a higher standard (and not just at Gibson).

Joe could make fishing line on a plank sound killer. I have seen him playing the Norlin era stuff and there is nothing to complain about there. It sounds great. (And the James Gang were a great band. Joe just wanted to move on and try other stuff than a power trio format.)

Plenty of great Norlin LP's and music made with them. I'd take one in a heartbeat. You can not like them, but they are in no way "dogs... the lot of 'em"

sonar

Let's see... in you mind The Eagles with Joe Walsh is equivalent to a MacDonald cheeseburger? Your well has run dry...hang it up. BTW how many records have you sold? :bigal

The whole point of the McDonald's comment was to express the irrelevancy of quantity in correlation with quality, yet you continue to harp on it in the literal sense, which proves either a complete lack of registering sarcasm on your part, or there's just plain dumb going on in your posts. Then there's the childish, inane "hang it up" and "how many records have you sold" nonsense, which ascribes neither support, nor substance to support your original post.

You don't even try to argue songwriting, musicianship, anything to convince me why The Eagles are a good band, just lazily chirping about how many records they sold. Write about somebody's well running dry? You sir, are living in an intellectual desert.

ch willie

The first Les Pauls I drooled over were Norlins. I played in bands with guitarists who had Norlins. I knew nothing of vintage Les Pauls. And those Norlins sounded great.

"Classic Rock" radio and it's tiny rotation unfortunately overplays really good Eagles songs. The band's popularity prevents a lot of people from seeing what great musicians and songwriters they are. For me, Joe Walsh brought great chops and energy to The Eagles. I love the James Gang and his solo stuff as well. If radio hadn't overplayed the Hotel California album, we'd be more likely to credit it as the brilliant album that it is.

Love Joe Walsh. Eagles are the reason I play guitar - because of "Hotel California". If it weren't for that song, I wouldn't be alive today. Long story but the short of it is that hearing that song gave me a purpose and a will to live.

Norlins can rock and I love the Customs from that era.