• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe Perry/ Slash '59

JJ Jones

Joe Perry/LPNV59/ Slash '59 (OK?):)

I read in a guitar magazine that Slash gave Joe Perry the '59 he had owned in the 70's on his 50th birthday. Now that's a nice gesture!

Isn't that the guitar Slash is playing in the video for November Rain?

Last edited:

plaintop

I wonder what Joe will do for him? I mean how do you top that?

Dave Paetow

Les Paul Forum Member
The question that needs to be answered: What is really going on underneath Slash's hat?

:)spin

Dave Paetow

Les Paul Forum Member
I was thinking he grew his own personal hallucigenetic mushrooms under there...

Burstboy

Dr. Nick, 'Hi Everybody'
Saul Hudson? Gee, why did he change his name to Slash.

:wow

Burstboy

Dr. Nick, 'Hi Everybody'
Jack Daniels + 60 cigarettes a day = esophageal cancer....not a good combo. What's going on under his hat? Not too much in the common sense department.

sundaypunch

Actually he's bald as a cueball. The hair goes with the hat, just like the watermelon-smashing comedian Gallagher.

sundaypunch

Hence, the beauty of this place that we call home.:)spin

Did you check the archive? There are a number of good threads that deal with the Slash/JP Les Paul and its history.

JJ Jones

sundaypunch said:
Hence, the beauty of this place that we call home.:)spin

Did you check the archive? There are a number of good threads that deal with the Slash/JP Les Paul and its history.

thanks, i didnt know that

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Joe Perry/Slash LP !?!
Make that the Joe Perry/ LPNV59/ Slash/ Joe Perry Burst!!
Let's not forget our friend, Billy!

Burstboy

Dr. Nick, 'Hi Everybody'
Slash bought that from Billy....please, details. Details.

Ed Rafalko

Les Paul Forum Member
I think Billy only had it a very short time. The '88 Dallas show, right Billy?

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
Here are the details.......

I bought it in '81 or '82, when Joe's ex-wife Elissa was selling off his stuff. She sold off a bunch of his studio gear to Charlie Farren, who sang on the JPProject's 2nd album, and she sold his Burst to a shop I use to work at in Harvard Sq. called the Record Garage. I paid 4000.00 and a reverse Firebird I for it. When I got it, it had gold parts, gotoh tuners, no covers and a brass nut plus the frets were worn out. I put all original parts back on and got it refretted. I used it off and on for a couple of years and got bored with it, I didn't really like the tobacco brown color and I had a cherry burst that was lighter weight that I liked a whole lot more. I decided to sell it sometime in '85 and consigned it to various shops in Boston and one in the Poughkipsie NY area, with no takers at $4500. A year later I took it to the '86 Dallas Guitar Show, where a few well known burst collectors/ dealers got to check it out. One of those was TW59 who offered to buy it for the $4500 if I'd take a check. Now this was friday, the night before the show. I was hoping to get some cash to buy other guitars and I thought for sure that I'd find a buyer at the show, I ended up taking the friggin thing back home. A year later, the week before '87 Dallas GShow, I ended up selling it to a dealer for $3000 and a refin '61 Strat which I sold a few days later for $1200.00 so I at least got my money back. That dealer sold it to another dealer who I saw at the show the next week carrying it around. Later that day he worked out a deal with Eric Johnson for a Firebird 5 or 7 and some cash. Eric kept it for about a week or so, and traded/sold it off because it was to heavy for him. I found this out a few months ago when Eric was in town and Johnny A, who is now a label mate, asked him about it. John told me he was going out to dinner with Eric and I asked if he would find out what he did with it. He had nothing to do with Slash getting it, and Slash's story in VG a few months ago was a total crock. Still it was nice that Joe got it back. He had been missing it for years. One time he showed up at a gig in '85 I was playing and I had it. He knew it was his old one, in fact he sat in with us and I asked if he'd like to play it but he opted for my '57 Junior instead. I even told him I was selling it and he expressed absolutely no interest. Aerosmith was just regrouping so I think money was still tight.

Moral of the story? Timing, timing, timing:lolspin

Last edited:

JJ Jones

Well I don't think I could get a better answer on this...!
I'm in awe, reading all these great stories.
Joe Perry sitting in, etc... I think I'll just lurk from now on...

:dead:

And, yes I have noticed in the BOTB that tuners etc were different in the picture of Joe Perry playing it.

Last edited: