• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What years did Gibson use aniline dyes and where?

skydog6653

Please no flogging; I've done searches and can't find a definitive answer. I know they resumed it's use after a long absence, but restricted it to back, sides, and neck (no tops). Does anyone know the dates involved?

Stevedenver

Actually they have used it on tops, I am certain, if I have read your post correctly.

I have had red fade a bit, not only on a 95 jimmy page, but also on a 2002 F5, and on my 02 historic as well. Its subtle, but the vividness fades and becomes closer, but not the same, as a reddish tobacco finish.

Not being an expert, or having your definitive answer, I can add that aniline reds and yellows (and blues) tend to be the least stable and subject to fading.

To be honest, I don't know the basis for assuming it had stopped, simply because, many of the Gibson guitars I have seen, from various decades including those post 1960, have exhibited fading, a hallmark of aniline dyes, especially red, but also, blues tend to turn green as the blue element fades.

The only examples that come to my mind are the mid seventies clown bursts, as the red and yellow are so strong. But again, it seems they were almost opaque in thickness, so it may be harder to tell as to what the dyes are. I think too of some L5S models again with strong reds. Its difficult to tell, based on fading, because it would seem to depend on the guitars exposure to light, being kept in the case etc. I think back too on some SGs , originally stained bright red, which seem to sometimes fade to coffee. And those stained brown which fade to an almost natural mahog color. Both remind of lates 60s early to mid seventies, assuming my premise of these being aniline is correct.

Perhaps someone will have more info.

Last edited: