• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

No more gloss finishes

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
VOS all the way from here on in on Historics.

"For 2015 Gibson will be producing gloss lacquer finishes and no more Satin or Vintage Gloss finishes."

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
Sorry, which is it? I'm confused.

Yeah, I think it's confusing on purpose.

There are no more VINTAGE gloss finishes.

I understood it to mean Gibson will do gloss on their standard range and VOS only on the vintage range of guitars.

The VOS finish is not satin.

Ad_02Std

Yeah, I think it's confusing on purpose.

There are no more VINTAGE gloss finishes.

I understood it to mean Gibson will do gloss on their standard range and VOS only on the vintage range of guitars.

The VOS finish is not satin.

So is VOS their "Vintage Gloss" then? 'Cause they say they're not doing that either. It seems from the wording that it's going to be regular gloss finish across the board, ie. no more satin, no more VOS.

pinefd

So is VOS their "Vintage Gloss" then? 'Cause they say they're not doing that either. It seems from the wording that it's going to be regular gloss finish across the board, ie. no more satin, no more VOS.

That's how I would read that statement too.

Frank

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
the VOS is not a gloss finish. VOS stands for 'Vintage Original Spec' which is a cheaper slightly dulled finish with aged hardware.

pinefd

the VOS is not a gloss finish. VOS stands for 'Vintage Original Spec' which is a cheaper slightly dulled finish with aged hardware.

I realize that, Rich, but I think that Gibson's intent with the VOS finish, originally, was a finish that looked like a vintage gloss finish, after 50 years of use (including sweat and grime).

slimdave

"For 2015 Gibson will be producing gloss lacquer finishes and no more Satin or Vintage Gloss finishes."

So, it seems quite clear, the finishes will be gloss lacquer... Or am I missing something?? :hmm

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
Considering that the dull VIS finish sells at a much higher volume than the full gloss vintage finish, and the fact it's cheaper to produce, I'd suspect strongly that there will be no vintage high gloss finishes next year.

A main Gibson dealer friend of mine has a meeting with Gibson this afternoon and he's going to get it clarified. I'll post again when I hear the non confusing definitive version.

pinefd

A main Gibson dealer friend of mine has a meeting with Gibson this afternoon and he's going to get it clarified. I'll post again when I hear the non confusing definitive version.

Great! I think that's what's need.

Arnold Layne

I think the statement does indeed suggest no more VOS. I read it as gloss only from now on.

J.D.

Gibson to Increase Prices, Update Models for 2015
Published Sep 09 by Dan Orkin

Leading up to the release of its 2015 models, the Gibson Guitar Company has planned a series of changes to its guitar lineup including a general price increase across the board. Whereas MAP (manufacturer advertised price) for a 2014 Les Paul Standard with a normal flame top comes in at $2999, the 2015 equivalent will start at $3879, marking a roughly 29% increase.

In addition to the price increase, Gibson will drastically scale back the number of guitar models offered, including the discontinuation of a number finishes and top options on guitars like the Les Paul Standard. Gibson has also announced it will stop producing instruments with the less expensive Satin finish, meaning the end of such sub-$1000 models as the Les Paul Studio Faded.

Other changes include the expansion of the Min-ETune automated tuning system, which will be re-branded as "G-Force," as standard on almost all guitars. In celebration of the 100th birthday of Les Paul himself, all 2015 Les Paul models will feature a swirly "Les Paul 100" headstock logo marking a departure from the traditional Les Paul logo seen on the guitar for decades. As for actual specs, Gibson is updating the nut to a brass "Zero Fret Nut" and increasing the neck width on most models.

Gibson is, of course, no stranger to changing specs and price increases. This coming update, however, marks what is likely the most drastic change from Gibson USA in recent memory.

Tom99SS

I think this is for the Gibson USA line and not the Custom Shop.

For 2015 Gibson will be producing gloss lacquer finishes and no more Satin or Vintage Gloss finishes. On top of all the upgrades Gibson USA did not stop there.

slater529

Vintage Gloss is just another type of satin finish, NOT the same as VOS (Vintage Original Spec).

My 2013 50's Tribute GT came with "Vintage Gloss" finish. It's just plain satin as far as I'm concerned.

Grandturk

You guys did read that press release, right? No one else's BS meter went off? Hoax.

Tommy Tourbus

I just disassembled and buffed out a VOS Historic. They leave so much crap on the guitar. My buffing rags lifted a ton of orange-brown crud. And the way they 'age' the screws is weird. They were caked with crud that looks like shoe polish mixed with rust dust. The worst was the actual pickups. I removed one of the pole pieces, and this crud was so bad that you can see a ton of it down in the pole piece screw hole, inside the pickup. I mean, if they feel they have to age the metal pieces, OK fine, but caking excessive amounts of gooey crap on them and installing them on the guitar so it's down inside the wood, and inside the pickups should be deemed a criminal act