• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fretboard Wood Resource

lanman

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...osewood-from-east-indian-and-other-rosewoods/

I thought this one was interesting as it looks like Brazilian wood really is different than other rosewood species. The much larger "pores per square inch" (compared to other rosewoods) and the fact that it's "heartwood extractives are not water soluble, and will not fluoresce under a black-light" is pretty amazing to me. I would assume that the less pores would result in a more resonant/ringing wood. This explains why it just looks "denser" to the naked eye. I assume that the non-soluble nature of the heartwood extracts explains the oily look that it has.

I can't say this makes a difference in tone/resonance on a musical instrument as I personally can't hear it, but it does help in the argument that everything used as a substitute is a "less-than" replacement. I have to assume that Guitar builders picked Braz as the most popular Rosewood board material for a reason. As a guy who has always been enamored with Braz Boards, I find this information very interesting.