• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to check BurstBuckers for Wax Potting?

Tommy Tourbus

I just pulled a set of stock BB's from a 2011 Historic. Is there a way to tell if they are potted or unspotted without destroying them? I removed the covers and there are no obvious signs, no wax visible anywhere. I removed one of the poll pieces, and while it was covered with that krusty rust powder/crud they cake onto all their VOS screws, it had no wax residue on it.

roadrunner

There's an easier way... you use a pick.

Plug an old Gibson, or any Gibson with known unpotted pickups into just about any amp. Turn the amp up about halfway.
Put the selector on the pickup you want to test, with the guitar's volume and tone on 10.
Tap the pickup with your pick.

Do this one time, with a pickup that you know is unpotted, and you'll hear a bright sounding "click" that has kind of a metallic ring to it. It's a very distinctive sound.

Do the same test with a pickup that's potted and listen for the difference... you'll hear a muffled "thud" instead of a bright, almost metallic sounding click.

Viola! All done... no more taking things apart or unsoldering things to check pickups.

58Lover

bring the pole pieces up over the coils and you should see ssome waxy residue. Also on the underside. Pretty easy to see.