• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What pickups sound best in a modern Les Paul?

dj335

All you Tone Meisters out there,

I recently bought a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Classic Goldtop. Had a '79 Goldtop Deluxe that I sold years ago, and regretted it the day it left my house, so now I'm back with this Gibson Les Paul Classic Goldtop. It is not the chambered type that the 2007's are, but instead a weight relieved one. Light weight, has a lively acoustic non-amplified sound to it.

Bought this guitar because it has the same neck profile as my '79. However, it came with the 496R ceramic neck pickup as stock, but a Seymour Duncan JB Trembucker in the bridge position in place of the 500T. I don't like how either pickup sounds, so I'm asking the forum what would be the best pickup combo for this guitar. I have a Gibson SG '61 Reissue that has '57 Classic pickups that I like alot on that guitar. How would this pickup combo sound on this Les Paul?

Can you guys out there give me some recommendations on a pickup combo that you think sounds best on a late model Les Paul? I play mostly blues and classic rock. No metal. You must have experimented with pickup combo's, so please advise.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Wire and wood

Quite frankly, I'm pretty happy with the Burstbuckers in my 04 Standard. To be fair I've not tried any boutique pups in it or even a "common" replacement like a Seymour Duncan. But I suppose thats because I'm so far satisfied with what I have.

ricgroove

I've just purchased some Wolfetone Marshallheads for my Standard but these might be a little 'hot' for yourself. I've heard the Wolfetone Dr.V in a mates guitar and they sound fantastic for that blues/classic rock sound you might be after. Can't speak highly enough about Wolfe his customer service is second to none, he even threw in a couple of AlnicoII magnets with my pups just incase I wanted to experiment with my sound. Check out his website & drop him a line! Good luck :salude

sgberry

57 Classic pickups were used on Historic LPs untill 2001 and many people liked them.

PHILBERT

I have the 57 Classic Plus (bridge) and 57 Classic (neck) combo in my LP Classic. They are good. A little creamy compared to the BB1 or BB2, which chirp a bit too much for me. No microphonics on the 57's either. The BBs had that problem. BB Pros are way harsh (I did not like those). So I like the 57's better but the next thing I wanted to try were the Dr. Vintage pups. From what I have heard around here, they are very good and close to real PAF's. Damn it! Now I really want to get a set! Thanks a lot! :rofl

Last edited:

Totally bored

I have the stock BB Pro's in my 2008 60's neck Standard. Sounds Killer.

I have a 57 Classic pup sitting all alone on a shelf downstairs that I may swap the bridge out for someday just to see what all the fus is all about but. I'm in no rush because the Guitar sounds perfect and I'm not sure if I should mess with perfection.

wingnut1

I have a 57 classic and 57 classic plus along with an RS wiring harness and an aluminum tailpiece on my 00 LP Std. I love these pickups and think they give a great blues/classic rock sound. I have Schaller Golden 50s on my Heritage H150 and they also provide a great blues/classic rock sound. I think the Schallers are quite a bit less expensive and come up a lot on ebay for resale.

wolflen

after reading much and playing many LP's in all variations...i chose the antique classic.(2007) the 57 & 57+ sound great out of the box...through a tube amp they sound better...with some tweaking...good setup and height setting...and of course playing with the tone setting...for blues & rock...it does!!

I play alot of fusion and standard jazz...without alot of tone adjustments from the amp or guitar...a tad bit of reverb..yesss!

play well

wolf

sinner

I like the RS True Sixties pickups, my friends put them in his 70's old Black and they sound great. Perfect for blues and classic rock, warm and expressive but articulate.

Manolian

Les Paul Froum Member
All you Tone Meisters out there,

I recently bought a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Classic Goldtop. Had a '79 Goldtop Deluxe that I sold years ago, and regretted it the day it left my house, so now I'm back with this Gibson Les Paul Classic Goldtop.It is not the chambered type that the 2007's are, but instead a weight releaved one. Light weight, has a lively acoustic non-amplified sound to it.

Bought this guitar because it has the same neck profile as my '79. However, it came with the 496R ceramic neck pickup as stock, but a Seymour Duncan JB Trembucker in the bridge position in place of the 500T. I don't like how either pickup sounds, so I'm asking the forum what would be the best pickup combo for this guitar. I have a Gibson SG '61 Reissue that has '57 Classic pickups that I like alot on that guitar. How would this pickup combo sound on this Les Paul?

Can you guys out there give me some recommendations on a pickup combo that you think sounds best on a late model Les Paul? I play mostly blues and classic rock. No metal. You must have experimented with pickup combo's, so please advise.

Regards,
Dave
I have a 2000 classic in which I installed Burstbucker Pros (neck and bridge) , and Luxe Bumblebee caps, it has awesome tone now, that Robben Ford sound ..:ganz

LiveOak

Quite frankly, I'm pretty happy with the Burstbuckers in my 04 Standard. To be fair I've not tried any boutique pups in it or even a "common" replacement like a Seymour Duncan. But I suppose thats because I'm so far satisfied with what I have.

+1

Love the Burstbucker Pro's in my 06 Standard, no changes needed for me.

YUCK

IMHO Thats an easy question to ask and a hard question to answer. You like green or purple?? I like green and I bet there's about 100 people here that like purple and will tell you in 100 different ways why green sucks. Same thing for purple... I've also got a Line 6 Spider 212.. There's 100 people that'll tell me that the amp sucks and at least that many that like it... It's all about what sounds good to YOU. If you're looking for a specific tone.. That would be easier.

avereste

That's it, I'm not at all at those classic blues tones.
I'm more indie and rock so Jb and 59 series-parallel switched for me

trapland

Since you like the 57s in your other guitar, thats the best plece to start. If you like the 57s you will HATE Burstbucker Pros, unless you want something totally opposite from that tone.
BB123 will sound more clicky and grainy. The closest Gibson pickups with a similar character would be 490's or 490/498 combo, but you will find them much hotter and a rounder midrange.

I'd stick with the 57 classic/classic+ series. At least you know you already like that tone, and you might get a hint more sparkle with the maple cap.

ch willie

I have Burstbucker Pros in my Std. Faded. They've got edge and warmth. I have Classic 57s in my Sheraton. They're a tad warmer, but so is the guitar. I like both sets of pickups.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
IMHO Thats an easy question to ask and a hard question to answer. You like green or purple?? I like green and I bet there's about 100 people here that like purple and will tell you in 100 different ways why green sucks. Same thing for purple... I've also got a Line 6 Spider 212.. There's 100 people that'll tell me that the amp sucks and at least that many that like it... It's all about what sounds good to YOU. If you're looking for a specific tone.. That would be easier.

I think he's already said what color he wants. It's not that difficult.

Knowing that color was made with a smaller set of tools available, it's pretty easy to make some general assumptions that can help get him there.

Classic 57s are a fine place to start.

PixelBurst

I've kept my Wolfetone Dr.Vintage pickups for a while now. I love 'em! I also liked:

Voodoo 60's

Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros

DiMarzio Virtual PAF's

DonP

I have the stock BB Pro's in my 2008 60's neck Standard. Sounds Killer.

I have a 57 Classic pup sitting all alone on a shelf downstairs that I may swap the bridge out for someday just to see what all the fus is all about but. I'm in no rush because the Guitar sounds perfect and I'm not sure if I should mess with perfection.

+1

Only it's a 2002. Why mess with a good thing? I have plenty of pickups (20?) but just no urge to swap out the BB Pro's. Yes they are harsh. Yes they are aggressive. And yes I love playing Metal.

To the original poster dj335, get the 57 Classics. It's what is best for you.