• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Makeover process pics

reswot

I'd posted a couple of weeks ago about sending my 2007 R9 down to Kim. Well, it made it in one piece (thanks, FedEx!) and they've gotten started and sent a few pics...

Here's a pic before it left:

2007R9.jpg

Here it is after being stripped:

front_stripped.jpg
back_stripped.jpg

The plan is to go with a Brockburst-style finish with light fading and aging.

I'll update this thread with pics as they come in....

I just realized that the pics with the neck and fingerboard removed aren't of my guitar! They were loaded to the wrong folder. I took them down!

Last edited:

TM1

I recognise the bench..LOL!
I just got my R-7 Custom back from Kim last Friday! I'm just thrilled with how it turned out!
I rewlly like the maple figuring on the lower bass side. Very unique! You're going to absolutely love it when they get done and you'll love it even more in about 6-7 months after the nitro's off-gassed (dried) and the Hide Glue has settled. I've noticed with mine that after that amount of time something really special happens and the guitars go from outstanding to exceptional! Kim & his crew have done a few of mine over the years..
Best thing that's happened to all of them!:salude

Stoj

This is going to be great, I've subscribed to this thread, can't wait to see further progress & how she turns out :salude

reswot

Thanks, guys... I'm excited to see how it turns out.

I've requested the shoulders tapered on the neck and just a bit of thinning on it. The neck on this one has some flame running across it; it doesn't show up in the pic very well.

The grain, flecks, and mineral streaks were actually what attracted me to this guitar when I bought it. :)

dragonfire

Without countless other amazing conversions done at HM that's we've seen the pictures of. . . .I would be scrared sh*$less to see my guitar in pieces like that!!

Can't wait to see the finished item, I'm sure it will be amazing!

reswot

Ha! My wife actually wondered how I'd react when I saw it torn apart.

Last edited:

reswot

OK... Here are some pics of my guitar, again. The wrong pics were loaded to my directory the other day.

Here's the neck after the fingerboard was removed.
fingerboard_removed.jpg

Here's the back of the neck. I noticed it has a "9" on the bottom of the tenon. I wonder if Gibson did that to note that it was for an R9.
neck_back.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the body with the neck removed. You can see that the binding has been routed off, now.
neck_removed.jpg

neck_removed2.jpg

reswot

I know some folks don't like them, but those streaks are what inspired me to buy the guitar!

Anyway, here's today's pic: truss rod removed
trussrod_removed.jpg

pit_s_xroad

Hmmm:hmm awesome guitar... I am not shure whether I would have had the guts to touch it... but I am curious what the outcome will be... :2cool

PIT... :salude

LearnedHand

Kim and crew do great work. I am very happy with mine. It is my number 1 for Gibson-LPs. Kindly keep us posted on the progress.

sharky

Hmmm:hmm awesome guitar... I am not shure whether I would have had the guts to touch it... but I am curious what the outcome will be... :2cool

PIT... :salude

this will come out great or greater, that's for sure. Very nice top

reswot

I'll continue to post pics as they come.

I'm enjoying seeing the process play out. Thanks for the compliments on the guitar!

reswot

Starting to look like a guitar, again....

Neck being glued back in. The new truss rod has already been installed and the filler strip planed down.

neck_glued.jpg