• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - Ren's Good Eye

renderit

So I'm sittin' the other day thinkin' "I wants me a gooder 335". I gots a few but they are "different" like me. I was also thinking "I need to get gooder skivvies because mine are binding." Then I thought "I need a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup." Then a light came on! Literally, my wife turned on the light and I was told to "get off'n my azz and get to work." But the thought woke up hours later, "buy one of those 58 reissues with no binding you yo-yo!" So I called around and surfed the web and found this. The "eye" was and is not really very noticeable in person, but for some reason really shows up in pictures. I know that naming guitars really irritates some who will remain nameless Pat Boyack but I live to irritate! I wanted to name it "The Eye of Sauron" but that sounds so evil! So I thought "Harry Potter's Third Eye" out of respect to the Englishers here particularly one who has several vintage blondes. But then I thought "I need a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup" and just named it "Ren's Good Eye". Honestly. In person you don't notice it. Like the hair braided on my back. Really.

36151371083_a5ded8af1d_h.jpg

36772698596_d16cec711b_h.jpg

36151413293_a183dc920d_h.jpg

36788862462_16192a490e_h.jpg

36125239504_dd5e9d0801_h.jpg

renderit

The sound is very nice. Very full and articulate, but full of good sounding harmonics and very "woody". The only thing I am not nuts about is the case. What a cheap piece of crap! The feet look like a mistake! I will buy somebody else's case for it, the guitar deserves much better. Love the guitar though and would suggest you steal one before they are gone. P.S. They don't chafe like your underwear. No binding.

36125252344_bcb7becf6f_h.jpg

36563743230_3cb0387150_h.jpg

36151363653_6924d9a380_h.jpg

36788872802_e959b106e0_h.jpg

deytookerjaabs

That's simply dreamy.

Of all the 335-type reissues the '58's are my favorite and it looks like you got a top notch one at that. As for the case, if you beat the living **** out of it in a fit of rage those misplaced feet will look like they belong. :hee

T.Allen

Very nice guitar! Enjoy it!

PS: I really hope you will donate your brain to science.

AA00475Bassman

In my book the 58 RI is king of the heap, the wood on your guitar has a lot of vibe . Love the plastic strap buttons ! IMO the brown LP cases are also crap. Thank you for posting !!

Pellman73

AWESOMESAUCE

Wow that takes a while to do that. Beautiful guitar. I love the eye-- in fact, I love blisters-- so much that I really wanted to find one of the early 1959 reissues that had lots of blisters but they were a little more than I wanted to spend and after I got my Warren Haynes and Sgt basically raved about the Rusty Anderson I got on that train-- and they were also more reasonably priced... and I"m happy with what I have and don't gas any more (wait now that I"m thinking about it its not quite gone! dangit!)

OK so lets hear about a few things-- what's the 58 neck like? and is this the first time you are using MHS pups? there have been some mixed reviews on those- sound like you like them though.

great score! I love love love it.

tonar8353

Great looking blond 335. I think your right about the case, that looks like it got put together at 4:45 on a Friday of a three day weekend.

renderit

That's simply dreamy.

Of all the 335-type reissues the '58's are my favorite and it looks like you got a top notch one at that. As for the case, if you beat the living **** out of it in a fit of rage those misplaced feet will look like they belong. :hee

It is dreamy! And the case is ****! I kinda like the starkness of the unbound on this so I guess 58 is it in a 335 for me.

Super nice. Enjoy it

Ren... that is SWEET!! WoW!!

Beauty!!! :3zone

Thank you. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Very nice guitar! Enjoy it!

PS: I really hope you will donate your brain to science.

I will enjoy it. But I don't believe in science. I'm more of a Ju-ju voodoo guy. Besides, if you split me coconut I don't believe there is anything there!

Oh Ren, call it Shiva, call it Vishnu, we're back in 67':biggrin:

I would do that but some azzhat stoldt my mushrooms!

In my book the 58 RI is king of the heap, the wood on your guitar has a lot of vibe . Love the plastic strap buttons ! IMO the brown LP cases are also crap. Thank you for posting !!

It's good to be King! It's good to have wood! It would be nice to have a good case. I must buy one. I even have to tug it around to get it to latch! And all but one latch are the cheapass things that let go really easy...

AWESOMESAUCE

Wow that takes a while to do that. Beautiful guitar. I love the eye-- in fact, I love blisters-- so much that I really wanted to find one of the early 1959 reissues that had lots of blisters but they were a little more than I wanted to spend and after I got my Warren Haynes and Sgt basically raved about the Rusty Anderson I got on that train-- and they were also more reasonably priced... and I"m happy with what I have and don't gas any more (wait now that I"m thinking about it its not quite gone! dangit!)

OK so lets hear about a few things-- what's the 58 neck like? and is this the first time you are using MHS pups? there have been some mixed reviews on those- sound like you like them though.

great score! I love love love it.

Sauce is good. You get faster at it if you swipe all then smaller and smaller sections to recolor. You can get these pretty cheap now and if you like blisters:
https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/A09189/2016-1958-es-335-8/?cat_id=264
This one has been stung by the whole nest! The neck is like a R9 but slightly deeper and slightly narrower across the board. I really like it. I would not call it chunky but meaty. First time on the MHS yes. I like it so far through the DS mini. I'm 100% sure it will sound good on the At Mars because EVERYTHING does. The real question will be the Bassman knockoffs and Twins then the Komet 19. Then the Pro. Then the Clubman and Spitfire. Pretty sure the Germino will be great, the Mesa? The Bad Cat? The Longhorn? So many questions, so friggin much typing. I gotta get to playing...

Great looking blond 335. I think your right about the case, that looks like it got put together at 4:45 on a Friday of a three day weekend.

The case is toast...

Pellman73

good stuff man!

the SwIIIIIpe!

oh thats a good tip

psyched for you.

I feel that you are less the eye of Sauron (OK YOUR GUITAR CAN BE THE EYE OF SAURON)

but I think you are more likE

SMAUG

IN THAT
YOU ARE SITTING ON A GIANT PILE OF GOLD AND GUITARS THERE IN AUSTIN, THE LIKES OF WHICH NOBODY HAS EVERY SEEN

:yah:salude

renderit

Well, you certainly stretch a good story. I have a few guitars that are kinda nice and a few cheap old player vintage. But there has to be more than half this site that have more and much better! Thanks anyways! Your collection will surpass mine any day now.

billyjk

Beautiful 335 and a hilarious thread. Thanks for that.

Based on owning vintage Gibsons all my life, I can honestly say that the most surprising aspect of owning a new Memphis '59 Dot Reissue is that it has really sidelined my desire to hunt for a early 60's 335. I know what the differences will be once/if I find a vintage piece that I like, but man, those differences will be so small - tiny in fact, IMO. The only significant difference I can see would be the investment potential.

But to just sit and play it? These new reissues can be killers. Everyone has different tastes, but for me, those MHS pickups are to die for. My 335 is crazy dynamic, articulate, plays in tune everywhere and every note rings forever. It feels 100% vintage and it's presentation, like yours, is simply stunning.

So I am with you on this. Play the hell out it - it'll keep getting better.
Congrats!
-bk

El Gringo

Well that most certainly is a most very beautiful Blonde dot neck 335 reissue (Wildwood ?)