• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How should I finish my 1968?

Brad737

Hello all,

I posted a similar thread on the other LP forum, but wanted to ask your opinions as well...

I just an acquired an old Les Paul...1968 to be exact. It was routed for humbuckers years ago, and the Goldtop finish was sanded off, and clear coated. There was also a headstock repair. I'm absolutely going to have the top refinished. I know the collector value has already been greatly diminished. But I'd like to maximize what's left of the value, ya know? I was even considering having plugs put in and re-routing for soapbars. But that's just too much work on the old girl.

My question is that I'm torn between getting an aged sunburst and sort of making a sort of Jimmy Page-style guitar, or going with an aged Goldtop to sort of pay homage to what she once was? She has a 2-piece top with a center seam, if that would affect your decision.

Also, who would you recommend to do the work? I live somewhat close to RS Guitarworks, but they're running about 3 months for a refin at the moment. I'm also considering Historic Makeovers. I've also been told to consider Lays and Dave Johnson. Anyone else I should consider?

Thanks, Brad

Brad737

I haven't received the guitar yet, but hopefully Eric won't mind if I use his photos. She's definitely a diamond in the rough...routed for humbuckers, swapped tuners, refin, and a headstock repair.

As far as specs, she has zebra-coil Tim Shaw pickups, a Pigtail Bridge, Faber aged lightweight tailpiece with Faber locking studs, 1950's gold Grovers, and original electronics.

Here she is:

DSC04120-1_zps26fe9863.jpg

DSC04121_zps65518536.jpg

DSC04125_zpscca78df9.jpg

DSC04128_zps3134dae1.jpg

BarryG

I would make it a cherry color guitar like the clapton/harrison Lucy.

Dishimyuh

Vintage Les Pauls (40 Viewing)
Host: Tom Wittrock
Discussion area for all vintage Les Paul guitars from 1952 to 1960. (Goldtops, Bursts, Customs , Juniors, and Specials)

Try the Sunburst Pub.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Just waiting for the 'wrong section' police to comment....:wah

There is no such thing.
Since there are valid and beneficial reasons to point out the correct Forum area, it is a courtesy to do so.
Many members are happy to point the way.

In this and most cases, the members best equipped to give the best answers are more likely in that area.

As to the original post ....
I would go with sunburst or maybe see through cherry. :)

shred

I don't know how much you have invested in it, but I would 'burst it.' I'd probably Iced Tea... Or go nuts and go Blue Sparkle or Pelham Blue :dude:

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
If you're going to keep humbuckers, it really doesn't matter.

I've Bursted a few of these.

lespaul_l4c.jpg

c_wester

If you're going to keep humbuckers, it really doesn't matter.

I've Bursted a few of these.

lespaul_l4c.jpg

This is the way to go.I think it would attract more potential buyers also.
As its not restored to something that does not have humbuckers.

MapleFlame

You have a very nice center seam top, so I would definitely go with a nice burst pattern. Because of the neck repair, I would go Dark back.

sol rizzo

why throw money at it? it's always gonna be a broken refinished routed guitar. I think it's cool the way it is, just play it and have a ball, forget the "vanity value":2cool :bigal :2zone

Triplet

why throw money at it? it's always gonna be a broken refinished routed guitar. I think it's cool the way it is, just play it and have a ball, forget the "vanity value":2cool :bigal :2zone

Yep, lipstick on a pig - although it's a nice pig:hee

moonweasel

Whomever you go with, definitely have the neck humbucker route checked out. It looks like it was done towards the cutaway too far, so it isn't centered under the strings and the pickguard sticks out.

I like DJ, HM, and RS in that order. Be prepared for a LONG wait, but if you like the sound and feel of it, it will be worth it.

Burst will be very cool if the guitar is a full refin as it is. IF, original finish is still on the back, I think a DJ/HM aged Goldtop blended at the binding to the original back/side finish will make the guitar the most valuable (as you stated was one of your goals). Especially with the documentation that one of those two did the work. Their names are high as a kite right now in the respect column.

I would stay with humbuckers either way.

SWEET guitar.

PS - Contrary to popular belief, you do not HAVE to go to a new braz board when you do a makeover. Especially on a rare, vintage guitar like yours.