• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Atlanta Rhythm Section, Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop, Photo

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
Yep, Elmore is correct. Skynard did record there, Al Kooper loved the place. We also did the .38 Special records, Johnny VanZant, Rossington Collins, Mothers Finest, Mose Jones, Joe South, Starbuck, Alicia Bridges, Steelwater and Rodney Mills brought in tons of other folks there. Kevin Elson(road manager and survivor of the Skynard crash) went to work for Journey and he brought in their live album to clean up some vocals. There is just too many to list. It was pretty awesome

Rick, did you mean Stillwater?

Rick Maxwell

Yep, Sorry for the spelling Mark, Stillwater. They recorded mostly at Capricorn in Macon but we, Rodney did a project with them at Studio One that was pitched to CBS, the ARS label at the time. The biz was going through seems like dramatic change during that time and a number of great acts were looking for record deals. Also forgot to mention ARS keyboard player Dean Daughtry in my earlier post. Dean is an unbelievable keyboard player and always sang :Long Tall Sally as an encore live.

Last edited:

EdMcL

WOW
Even more royalty!
Thanks for sharing!
:salude
Well, Well Well, Glad ole BB is getting some recognition.. This is Rick Maxwell from Macon, Ga. Back in the day I was studio mgr. for the famed Studio One in Doraville Ga. home of The Atlanta Rhythm Section and was fortunate enough to be around such folks like Buddy Buie, Rodney Mills, J.R Cobb, Barry Bailey, Paul Goddard, Robert Nix, Ronnie Hammond and Roy Yeager. Those days were magic!! That place was magic!! I was in the studio when they recorded all the classic songs. Barry's guitar work still blows me away today. He played effortlessly and would leave you with your jaw on the floor!! Yep that's a 69 gold top deluxe he got from J. R. Cobb who also played in ARS and wrote or co-wrote most of their songs. He also was an original member of the Classics Four ala where Spooky came from. J.R played an old Strat and did the slide work on their songs with a old LP Custom not sure what year, I will try to find out. I still keep in touch with J.R and Barry. As you may or may not know, Ronnie the lead singer and Robert, the original drummer for ARS have both passed away. Robert was also the drummer for The Candymen which was Roy Orbison's band. As for Barry, he played through 2 50Watt Marshalls. Listen to the solo on Alien ,from The Quinella album. Half was edited out for album space but it will knock you out..

marshall1987

http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/u403/RKMaxwell1953/

Here is a pic of Ronnie Hammonds last live performance at The Allman Brothers Big House museum in Macon at their first summer concert series in June of 2010. I"m playing the Std faded on the right. Hope the pic comes through, have not posted pics before.

a832c0b7.jpg

toxpert

One of my favorite tunes is Champagne Jam. Here's a live audio from back in the day....around 3:13 you can hear the audience roaring to Paul's tasty solo on that Rickenbacker bass. Barry's lead work was always impeccable.
The boys knew how to do a show !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9UjToEOHXU

58Lover

That group was magical. I saw them in Schaumburg IL, at B'Ginnings, a place that had Chicago's old drummer as a part owner. Saw VH, Romantics, Judas Priest, Golden Earring... the place was great...

And seeing ARS was one of the best. I loved everyone's playing... the epitome of tasty rock!

(I have to correct the quote...) I remember Ronnie introducing the band in between songs...
"Yeah, we're not much to look at, but we can rock"

I was really sad to hear of their passing.

Last edited:

GC Ron

I had a chance to talk to Barry a few years before he retired. Barry told me he used the Les Paul and the Marshall all those years. The cab was beaten up as expected. Pull up Youtube videos from different years, his tone never changed. What a great under rated and under appreciated player. By far one of my all time favorite guitarists.

FretsAlot

Please excuse the dusty thread bump... I've long been a fan of Barry's tone. Only recently have I started to do any research on how he may have gotten it. The only three things I feel I've identified with any certainty are...

1) HIS Fingers
2) LP w/ mini-humbuckers
3) 50w Marshall (lead or bass?) into a 4x12 cab

Anybody know how he may have dialed in his amp, or if anything was between the guitar and the amp that would have shaped his tone? I stumbled across a thread recently that suggested that he may have plugged into the Hi-Normal (instead of Hi-Lead) on his 4-hole Marshalls with a treble-booster.

One particular song guitar tone of his I'm addicted to can be heard in the opening verse of... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY0uAZn2NTk&feature=youtu.be&t=3m52s

Thanks in advance,

Fretsalot/Scott

Last edited:

marshall1987

1992 YouTube video of ARS (not all original lineup) and Barry Bailey on lead guitar. BB is smokin' hot in this rendition of the classic tune "Spooky".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T7VC3sVEFL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DanD

Total necro thread but I can attest to the mini-buckers and LP combination. My old bitch 'Spot' does have an unique tonal flavor. Hunt around for a 2010-11 R7 Historic w/minis. It won't disappoint!

Gibson made some 'unaged' no 'spot' versions too! :biggrin:

Elmore

1992 YouTube video of ARS (not all original lineup) and Barry Bailey on lead guitar. BB is smokin' hot in this rendition of the classic tune "Spooky".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T7VC3sVEFL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

marshall1987, thanks very much for posting this. I grew up very close to Doraville, Ga. For me, Barry Bailey is the king of the LP Deluxe. It must be in his fingers. No one sounds like him. What a great sense of melody. His leads really hit home.

Trans-Am

This is why I love this place! :applaude

Ditto there brother!!!

Was just listening to " So Into You " outside he patio and such kool tune that takes me back in mid 70's where bell bottoms where just as kool!!

telemesa

This is an old photo of the Atlanta Rhythm Section I took at the Taylor County Colliseum in Abilene, TX, c. 1980. The lead guitarist played a 70's Les Paul Deluxe w/ a TP-6 tailpiece added. Great guitarist and a great band.

ARS.jpg
This would be Barry, he's used a gold top for decades.