• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1955 Les Paul Junior - Stamp on Top Edge of Headstock

1955Junior

The recent thread regarding the 1955-1956 Les Paul Junior black serial numbers prompted me to post this question.

I have owned a 1955 Junior for many years, and purchased it from the original owner in Canada.

In the photo below, you can see the faint "MADE IN THE USA" stamp above the serial number - something that Gibson did from the late 1920s thru the 1950s on guitars slated for export outside of the United States.

One thing I've often wondered - - what is the significance of the impressed letter/number code (H 499) on the top edge of the headstock?

Was this done at the factory?

Could it be an inventory number that was applied by the music store?

Have any of you ever seen an impressed letter/number code like this on other Gibson guitars?

Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks,

IMG_0633.jpg

Y

yeti

Yeah, my friend bought a 52 Goldtop in 1984 and it has a number that shouldn't be there. I mentioned it in an earlier thread but nobody had any real clues as to it's origin.
Here's a pic
l_a93090f49f7c000949a0ca2bfd7d01ae.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
The recent thread regarding the 1955-1956 Les Paul Junior black serial numbers prompted me to post this question.

I have owned a 1955 Junior for many years, and purchased it from the original owner in Canada.

In the photo below, you can see the faint "MADE IN THE USA" stamp above the serial number - something that Gibson did from the late 1920s thru the 1950s on guitars slated for export outside of the United States.

One thing I've often wondered - - what is the significance of the impressed letter/number code (H 499) on the top edge of the headstock?

Have any of you ever seen an impressed letter/number code like this on other Gibson guitars?

Thanks,

IMG_0633.jpg

I doubt that left the factory that way.
Perhaps someone [like the military] marked them after purchase.

MapleFlame

See the USA just abouve the ink stamp. I think this was a dealer run or order.

mingus

It's fairly common to see "made in USA" stamped on American made guitars of this era that were originally exported. I currently have a '55 Martin D-28 with the same stamp on back of the headstock that went to Canada.

I think Tom is correct that the other stamp on the edge may have been some sort of inventory number, possibly for the military (or maybe a college/university).

retrobob

I could swear I have seen that guitar somewhere! And maybe have even played it. :hmm

thegreengod

Thanks,

IMG_0633.jpg

Can you tell us more about the guitar's history and observations of its tone from playing it all these years. Love hearing stories of old LP Jrs. Thanks :yah

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Can you tell us more about the guitar's history and observations of its tone from playing it all these years. Love hearing stories of old LP Jrs. Thanks :yah

Do you realize that post is almost 5 years old? :ganz

RSVG&A

I had a 1951 J200 for many years that had an impression stamp on the top of the headstock. Was told it went back to the factory in early '53 for some neck work so its possible its a repair serial.
IMG_8577_zps5f75e174.jpg

marshall1987

Whatever any significance the number may have, they did at least 499 like that.

abalonevintage

Whatever any significance the number may have, they did at least 499 like that.

I think that's a stamp for military personnel. I think the number could have been used on anything...guitars, golf clubs, stereos.

This guitar was used by a service member IN Korea.

1951_Gibson_J45_acoustic_Guitar_HSB_2.jpg

1951_Gibson_J45_acoustic_Guitar_Case_2.jpg

marshall1987

I think that's a stamp for military personnel. I think the number could have been used on anything...guitars, golf clubs, stereos.

This guitar was used by a service member IN Korea.

1951_Gibson_J45_acoustic_Guitar_HSB_2.jpg

1951_Gibson_J45_acoustic_Guitar_Case_2.jpg

I think you're correct about your supplied photos. Former USAF here.........the convention followed for the numbering of that guitar is: (1) the initial of the service member's last name; (2) followed by the last four digits of his/her social security number.

We marked many of our possessions following that convention at Basic Military Training.

However, the guitar photo provided by the OP does not follow the military numbering convention that I'm aware of. H499 does not follow the convention.

Wally

^^^^^ That "R 3577" was a personal stamp used by a member of the military to identify personal items....from uniforms to guitars..whatever.
AS for that Canadian Gibson....that is another matter, but one would think that it is an I.D. number that was applied for some reason...oh yeah...for identification. LOL....
And this thread is 6 1/2 years old. Fwiw, I believe that that number was stamped sometime later in the guitar's life because it looks too fresh to have been old at the time of the photo. The rest of the 'disturbed' lacquer shows a darker color due to the influence of oils and dirt than does the stamped lacquer.