• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Canned Heat les paul

frisco

Formerly greeny
hi everyone
yesterday i saw a video of Canned Heat in Beat Club (an european music TV show fromthe 60's -70's) and one of the guitar players - i don't recall his name - was using a les paul gold top with P90's and a STP sticker between the PUs.
he was playing slide

any info on that guitar or if they used other les pauls?
thanxs
G.

pauldeluxe

All Access/Backstage Pass
I've seen that clip many times. It's "Let's Work Together."

I don't know much about Wilson's guitar, but I've always assumed it was an early goldtop, as it has the stop tailpiece, and that video is likely from 1970. The STP sticker is a nice touch.

There are a couple of close-up shots of the LP, showing the weather checking, which is gorgeous.

A few of the more knowledgeable souls on the forum may know more about it and about Wilson.

tomkatz

canned heat Les Paul

I did'nt see the video that you mentioned. I do remember seeing Canned Heat on TV years back doing "Up To The Country ", this was my first sighting of a original Gibson Les Paul Goldtop with P90's. So cool !

frisco

Formerly greeny
hey that was fast!
thanks guys

pauldeluxe you are right, that's the song did you like the tone of the orange amps as well?

panhdlce

Canned Heat was great what happened to them as a group? As individuals?

pauldeluxe

Wilson died in Hite's back yard from a drug overdose in September, 1970. Hite died in the early 80's from a heart attack. I believe the other two guys are still touring as Canned Heat.

Greeny, I love the tone on that version of Let's Work Together. The studio version is a little distorted for my tastes. In fact, on that Beat Club version, I really love the Telecaster rhythm tone, just on the edge of distortion.

TommyTunes

The original members of Canned Heat were

Bob Hite-vocals
Alan Wilson-vocals/harmonica/slide guitar
Henry Vestine-lead guitar
Larry Taylor-electric bass
Fito de la Parra-drums

Unforunately the only surviving member is Fito. Alan died in 1970, Hite in 1981 followed by Henry in the mid 90's and I believe Larry. Alan was a Blues Historian. For those unfamilar with the group EMI has issued an excellent 2 CD compilation, but the best way to enjoy them are from their original LP's. Living the Blues is perhaps the best of their original albums.

Mark Kane

I saw Canned Heat a bunch of times. In fact one of my first bands was named "Blind Owl Soup":lolspin Blind Owl's goldtop was a late '53 with the wrap around and Henry ussually played a late sixties black custom LP or a strat from around the same time. They played through these TNT amps. Really cool band. I love their first two albums. The first one is pretty much straight blues and by the second one they had tuned in, turned on, and dropped out. Refried Hockey Boogie, Evil Woman, Amphetamine Annie, great stuff!!

uncouth_rustic

The STP goldtop also appears in Woodstock:The Director's Cut DVD. Canned Heat epitomized the gritty, hard-driving blues-based rock & roll that came to define hard rock.

derdom

Check out Canned Heat on the Woodstock "Director's Cut" DVD. Good shots of each member of the band! A good indication of the times AND of Bob Hites personality - a guy jumps up on stage during their playing "A change is gonna come"-He's tolerated to the point where he pulls a pack of cigarettes out of Hite"s pocket and lights up on stage with his arm around Hite as he sings!

P90pup

Al Wilson was a great blues player. very understated, very authentic and with a voice similar to an 18 year old black girl (or Blind Willie McTell, take your pick). On the long two sided refried boogie piece from Livin the Blues, Al's is the first guitar solo. No effects, no fuzz (Vestine gives you plenty of that later) and very little overdrive. It is an exercise in simplicity with no nods to gimmickry...and it is gorgeous. Al was the real deal.:dude

Big Al

Didn't Harvey Mandel play with them, on a <gasp> Strat??

Very cool band, and that ciggy moocher would be pulverized in todays nasty ass venue vibe.

P90pup

Al, the Heat was always a Biker Band (must be that E chord)
If that was Sonny Barger? bumming that smoke.....well, a guys gotta smoke. A weird blues band....but judging from the body count...a blues band for sure. I loved those guys.

P90pup

Big Al said:

Very cool band, and that ciggy moocher would be pulverized in todays nasty ass venue vibe.
Yes, I think Harvey and Henry used to tag team each other in rehab. It took me a while to realize that Al Wilson played lead guitar for Canned Heat...of course he OD' first....no pedals, no glory...no STRATS, Amen!

professor

Larry "The Mole" Taylor is still alive and playing with the likes of Kid Ramos and James Harman these days...

Heritage 80

Big Al said:

I used to see Canned Heat and Harvey Mandell's Pure Food and Drug Act playing on the same bill all the time in Chicago during the early 70's. I think Harvey replaced Henry Vestine in the late 60's (and I also believe that he was with Canned Heat at Woodstock?). I don't remember Harvey playing a Strat, just a LP. He was into tapping and general craziness on the guitar WAY before his time! I know he was under consideration for Mick Taylor's replacement in the Stones (he played on "Hot Stuff" on Black & Blue).

frisco

Formerly greeny
thanks auger

those are images from the video that i watched last weekend.
i believe that those guys are playing live in there.

if my memory is not bad i recall seeing CANNED HEAT in MONTEREY POP video and AL is playing slide (Rollin n' tumblin') on a fender jaguar or something.

it's too bad that the Owl died very soon that band had future

jgyn

A long time ago I saw a TV rerun of some 'Hugh Hefner' Playboy party show from the early 70s where Canned Heat was the guest band and Harvey Mandel played a Stratocaster.