• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Iced Tea Vs. Honey Burst

buyusfear

I thought I wanted Cherry burst way back when. Ultimatly, Most iced tea finishes I would see would just floored me. So I bought one. I will buy another burst reissue, and it will definatly be an iced tea. I'm sold on that finish now.

Keep in mind that the Historic "iced-tea" is a different tone then the Gibson USA iced tea finish, mine pictured bellow being a historic.

lightingtest036.jpg

58LP067mineralandflame.jpg

Gibson17

verrry nice..

anyone got pics of standards in either color? that's what im going for.

i feel like kind of an idiot

i bought a used honeyburst...didnt really like the color so i sent it back so i could buy an iced tea...but looking back on it right now as i have neither at the moment i wish i wouldve just kept the darned honey burst. it was actually a really nice color looking back on it. just like urs above. almost exactly the same color...it's real nice. but for some reason i was just set on iced tea. and now i don't know which to get. i'm really kicking myself for this one

marT

I loved the honeyburst as soon as I saw one. Iced tea was probably my second choice. I'm not much of a fan of the cherry burst.

Gibson17

yeah i dont really like the cherry it's too red for me. i have a prs in heritage cherry and it's really red. i wanted to deviate away from it a bit.

i just feel like...when i opened up the case for mine..i wasn't like WOW THATS AWESOME. kind of thing like i expected. it was kind of bland at first. but when i looked in different lights it was beautiful. but in the back of my mind i was like iced tea iced tea iced tea. so i sent it back in the hopes of getting iced tea...now im having regrets :( maybe once i see the iced tea again i'll be like oh yeah thats why i sent the other one back

Gibson17

p.s. marT i've seen you on youtube like a million times ur a great player! keep it up.

Gibson17

im really confused cuz ur honey burst looks to me like iced tea...maybe im wrong...but my honey burst looked nothing like that at all. it looked like marT's.

urs has a lot more red around the edges where as mine was very light brown

marT

It really depends on the light and the camera. Mine actually looks quite different to the picture, although that pictures is probably the best true to colour I could get. It changes all the time. Sometimes mine can look quite red. Other times it can look quite yellow like a lemon burst (usually in lots of sunlight). Its absolutely stunning I am in love with it if you cant tell.

Titan7

They do look a little different depending on the light and the angle. Mine is a little lighter in person. I have seen a lot of Ice Tea and HBs lately and they are very close. The Ice tea has a slight faded red on the edges, compared to the honey burst's brown. I also think the HBs are coming from Gibson much ligheter than in the past. The first one I ordered looked like a lemon burst, it was nice but not the color I wanted. I don't think you will go wrong with either color. I am heading down the my dealer tomorrow to look at a new Std in Ice tea.

marT

very strange some honey bursts look like Ice teas and some ice teas look like honeybursts!

meatclown

from gibson's website, well first iced tea and honeyburst look real similar, on standards...

but then, they have no consistency in the same finish across models:

STANDARD iced tea
lp5_itnh.jpg

STANDARD honeyburst
lp5_hbnh.jpg

CLASSIC honeyburst
lpcshb.jpg

CLASSIC ANTIQUE honeyburst
LPCAHBCH1.jpg

CLASSIC vintage sunburst
lpcsvs.jpg

CLASSIC ANTIQUE vintage sunburst
LPACVSNH1.jpg

what gives? what's so hard about having a finish look the same more or less no matter what model you choose? I mean plain vs flame aside affecting how the SAME finish might appear, etc... it's downright confusing to have apparently completely different shades named the same.

Gibson17

i gotta say...awesome posts guys

all of your guitars are beautiful! congrats

i think that even besides the inconsistency between models there's a slight consistency between each color itself. what i mean is....one iced tea is not going to look exactly like the next. and so on. some honey bursts are gonna look more like iced tea some are gonna be lighter like lemon drop. and i've definitely learned not to necessarily trust the camera. because your guitar isn't going to look exactly like the picture. so...on that note i've decided to go to my local gibson dealer put the iced tea up to the honey burst try em both out and we'll see which comes home with me.

keep the posts comin guys i'd really like to see some more examples