• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

DR Pure Blues Strings

zoommutt

Does anybody use these strings and are they good? I picked these up and don't know if I should return them and get something else. I usually use Gibson strings ,but GC doesn't carry them or was out. I wish LPF was with me to have guided me. They weren't even on sale. I think I paniced with my mother waiting in the car on a cold day:wah Thanks.

Pearly Grapes

They are very good. A little warmer than nickle wrapped steel. Great for blues & Classic Rock.

J T

Yes DR Pure Blues Strings are a good choice. What gauge did you get? I use 10-46.

Todd Louis

I just started using DR's I got the tite-fit ones and I like them!!!
I didn't know about these....:hmm

zoommutt

I got the 9-42,I don't remember seeing the 10-46.I guess I'll try them. Thanks guys!

corpse

I have used them and liked the sound but found the quality varied. Be sure to follow the instructions and not over stretch them. And be sure to kink the end before you cut them. I am much more impressed with the Gibson Vintage Reissues. In both tone and feel.

Big Al

I have used them and liked the sound but found the quality varied. Be sure to follow the instructions and not over stretch them. And be sure to kink the end before you cut them. I am much more impressed with the Gibson Vintage Reissues. In both tone and feel.

DITTO

zombiwoof

This is very important with round core strings, I think most of the problems people have with the Pure Blues is they don't follow these directions when installing them. I do stretch them, but gently. until they stay in tune with bending. This was common practice in the 50's and 60's when all strings were round core, and pure nickel wrapped, but many younger players don't know about that. The directions are printed inside the box on the Pure Blues string sets.

I preferred the Dean Markley Jimi Hendrix pure nickel round core strings, but of course they discontinued them for some reason. I also like the Markley Vintage Reissue strings, which are NPS over round core, but I recently found out they have also discontinued those strings. I sort of feel there is a secret plot against the strings and picks I like, as the .084 mm (MH) gauge D'Andrea Classic Celluloid picks I love have also been discontinued. At least I stocked up on about a dozen sets of each of the Markley strings before they went away, but I got caught with a low supply of those picks, and now I can't find them anywhere (If anyone knows where I can get a quantity of those picks, please let me know where I can get them!).

Also look into the Pyramid Classic Nickel strings if you like that type (round core, pure nickel round wrap), I like them the best but they are about twice the price of the others we have been talking about (but probably worth it in longevity of tone).
I think Strings by Mail has the the Pyramids on sale during this "Black Friday" sale period, but that will end soon.
Al

Mitchell

I used them exclusively in the 90's, but then noticed quality control went down.
Havent used themm in years, so I cannot comment on the current quality.

Cliff Gress

I sort of feel there is a secret plot against the strings and picks I like, as the .084 mm (MH) gauge D'Andrea Classic Celluloid picks I love have also been discontinued. At least I stocked up on about a dozen sets of each of the Markley strings before they went away, but I got caught with a low supply of those picks, and now I can't find them anywhere (If anyone knows where I can get a quantity of those picks, please let me know where I can get them!).

Shoot me an email ZW. I have a dozen+ D'Andrea 84s I could send you.

sapi

I like the DR PB's. Although they do have quality issues.

zombiwoof

You are awesome, Cliff.:hippy

Agreed!. Cliff, I have emailed you about the picks.

By the way, if anyone knows a store that still has 12-packs or 72-packs of those D'andrea .84mm celluloid picks, I'd appreciate a heads-up.

Thanks much,
Al

zombiwoof

I would like to publicly thank Cliff, he emailed me back about the picks I'm looking for, and is sending me 17 of them for free. Really good guy, hope to pay him back in some way in the future!. Thanks, Cliff

Al

JRW8214@AOL.COM

Ive been using them for almost a decade now. Ive tried other but i always come back. Yeah every now and then there is a pack that feels like its barb wire instead of guitar strings, but there's always some bad apples in the bunch. No one is perfect.

Skullbros

Does anybody use these strings and are they good? I picked these up and don't know if I should return them and get something else. I usually use Gibson strings ,but GC doesn't carry them or was out. I wish LPF was with me to have guided me. They weren't even on sale. I think I paniced with my mother waiting in the car on a cold day:wah Thanks.

I bought a bunch of DR Strings in bulk recently and I've found them to be very inconsistent—lots of dead and poorly wound strings (and I do mean lots; practically in every set).
A good friend of mine put it this way: "why would you want a "hand wound" string? If you did that job you'd start losing your mind from boredom in the first 10 minutes." I'm gonna go back to D'Addarios once I've used these up.

TBR623

I used them for several years (.10's)and then bought a batch that was problematic. Intonation issues,flat-dead sounding. I bit the bullet and switched to Pyramids and have never looked back.The price difference is worth it IMO.

Ryan Givhan

i used the DR titefits for a long time and then recently switched to the pure blues and i love them, the tone is amazing and i havent had a bad one yet, probably 20 or 30 packs