• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Do You Guys Like the Les Paul Classic?

Mineral Mike

I am talking stricktly tone--the sustain, crunchiness, boldness of chords (where you can count the waves), and where each solo note is not just a note but transforms into either a singing harmonic or a swimming modulation--as compared to like an R9 or other models. And on the clean, sounds like pure clarity and super rich.

I have a 2006 LP Classic. It is not perfect like described above, but it really makes me happy. But I haven't found another one like it. The other ones I've tried sound muffled.

Anybody like the classics?

Thanks,
Mike

Red Baron

I used to own a Classic in the mid 90's and it was a really good sounding Les Paul... just wish it didn't have such a thin neck otherwise I might have kept it.

I love the Classics. I have huge hands and I prefer the thin necks and I just wrap my thumb over the top.

I have a 2000 Classic that I love to death.

SFK

Les Paul Forum Member
My first two Les Pauls were 1990-91 Classics. (Both all gold) I wish I still had one of them. Very bold, very crunchy. VERY thin necks on the early ones but rock solid.

CharlieS

I had a beautiful '92 Classic. The tone was just so-so....not bad, but it didn't fare well against my R9s. It wasn't alive enough for me.

grimlyflick

Love mine, has been tinkered with quite a lot though.

a3cb3817.jpg

:salude

Big Al

Played a lot, some were drop dead gorgeous , but none did the tone thing as described. Not for me are high output pickups and yardstick neck profiles. I know plenty of guys that prefer them to most other Les Pauls and that is cool, it offers up options for different players and music. The closest thing I own is an early 90's Studio Lite Plus Top which has an amber 3pc top and typical early 1960 Classic yardstick neck profile. Modded it up a bit.

snag

image-4.jpg

Mine's a 2006 also, shown upright, and I just love it. It really cuts through nicely and feels great! It came with the grovers and pup covers. I bought it on eBay. Got the standard, also 2006, to compliment it, but the classic is my go to guitar.

dc007

I have a 2006 Classic that I gutted....all new electronics and some Wolfetone pups and it is a very nice sounding guitar now. Not fond of the thin neck but if I need to use it, she don't let me down.

BarryG

I had a late 90's one 5 years ago. It was so-so. The pickups were terrible, snot green inlays, and super thin neck. I sold a 61 SG RI to buy it. I ended up with the lesser guitar.

ZZ Not

I liked the hot ceramic pickups in the goldtop Classic I had. They were bold but not over the top. It was one of those guitars that I sold and all my friends who had ever played it asked "Why?"

Never liked the greenish inlays, though they didn't look as bad on the goldtop as they did on the cherryburst one I had previous to it.

Body.jpg

stock_hippie

Les Paul Froum Member
Classics are the bomb...!..Im doing a recording session at NRG studios in LA in June...and thats the LP I want...What year do you suggest...?..I don't care about the thin neck ..in fack i like thin necks

Kris Ford

I have one of the 2011 Les Paul Classic Plus..has a super nice top...(to me anyways..)..actually has a "50's" neck..regular inlays, thin cutaway binding, Les Paul MODEL on headstock..but has a Nashville..with 500T and 496R, when adjusted just right, make a wondrous rock noise thru my 1976 JMP.. sorry for crappy pic...
IMG_20130108_184506.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I put the PUP covers on btw..the knob pointers were stock..got a smokin' deal too...all and all this is the best Les I've ever owned...I prefer it to my old R8 even..

SFK

Les Paul Forum Member
I found a couple pics of my '90 All Gold Classic.

(early 90s)

406377697.jpg

406377696.jpg

SFW

I love my 2001 Classic. It has been my number one since the day I bought it 10 years ago. I added covers, because I think a gold top should have covers. :)

DSC_0090.jpg