• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2003 Gibson Les Paul '59 Reissue, Murphy Aged, Brazilian Rosewood

Dire Wolf

Braz board & Murphy aging is a potent combination; don't like the price nor the BBQ top however.

delawaregold

The buyer is a member here.
There were not many R9’s aged by Murphy in 2003.
I remember Mark was trying to determine exactly how
many were Murphy aged. I don’t know if he ever nailed
down an accurate number.

Last edited:

dtw576

A "scant 8 pounds 14 ounces" ain't scant in my book. My R9 comes in at 8 and 12 and although lighter than an ole Norlin, is certainly not "scant". I won't even comment on the price.:wow Rare yes, and to each his own, just out of my league for new wood, brazilian or not. Bet the new owner is in love though and that is what really matters.

solsurfr

....Bet the new owner is in love though and that is what really matters.

I'd say so. From what I've heard, there something like 12 or less made world-wide which was communicated from Murphy to GPG's owner, Rick Hogue. Those photos on Rick's site aren't really representative of the top. It's more dynamic, curly, and peek-abo'ish than those pics tell us. :jim

Plankspanker

14 seems very low, I've got two of 'em from VW. I remember getting them in Oct and that Murphy was taking time off for surgery or something like that in the Fall of 2003.

6L6

All Access/Backstage Pass
I used to be really into the '03's. $14K would not have been stupid money just a few years ago for one of these. At the peak, folks were paying around $10K for regular '03 braz R9's with really nice tops so something like a Murphy with a braz board would be off the charts rare and expensive. As for today's prices, I'm not sure any more. Seems like the market has gotten soft across the board and some really cool stuff is popping up. AND folks have a lot of choices with all the cool signature models and the anniversaries that have been well received.
Overall, I'd say that it was priced about right for today's market. It didn't sit around long so that is a good indicator, too.

solsurfr

Not around long at all. It seems to be a small circle in that playing field and when it comes right down to it... it's about the numbers. 674 R9 Brazilians were made in 2003. Of that, maybe 12 were Murphy aged... hard to argue the value when you consider supply of ~12 Murphy's vs ~662 gloss R9 Brazilians. I love 'em both! Great guitars.

hoffphil

Hi,

Really nice guitar, my gratulations to the buyer.

I'm interested in 2003 brazilian R8, R9 and R0's, does anybody know a dealer or someone who is offering one actually? I searched gbase.com and did not found anything...

In advance thanks for any reply...:)

Regards,
Philippe

Zoomer

Not around long at all. It seems to be a small circle in that playing field and when it comes right down to it... it's about the numbers. 674 R9 Brazilians were made in 2003. Of that, maybe 12 were Murphy aged... hard to argue the value when you consider supply of ~12 Murphy's vs ~662 gloss R9 Brazilians. I love 'em both! Great guitars.

Brazilians were made for 5 months from 1/1/03 - 5/30/03 - 674 total are you sure there were on 12 Murphy's out of 674 guitars ???

6L6

All Access/Backstage Pass
I was in the market in 2003 and you NEVER saw Murphy-aged brazilians. I remember seeing one pop up somewhere (and selling quickly) so 12 of them out of 674 would not surprise me. I remember Vintage World doing a run of Murphy aged R8's and the BOTBs in 2003 but neither had braz boards.

Regarding dealers, Wildwood, Marks and Garrett Park get them in every now and then so keep checking.

delawaregold

Has anyone talked to Ronn lately?
How is he doing? I haven’t spoken to him in a couple of years.
His website was down for a while, but I see it’s back up now.

solsurfr

Brazilians were made for 5 months from 1/1/03 - 5/30/03 - 674 total are you sure there were on 12 Murphy's out of 674 guitars ???

As crazy as that sounds, I believe this to be accurate. Mark Bishop may have a take on this but this is what Rick Hogue told me when he was selling the one in question.

R9Trey

Wow......reminds me of the saying "a fool and his money will be soon parted"........

MikeG59

jpap

Well, it seems to me that the serial number mentioned in the website (9 3269) is not the same to the one on the attached COA & headstock-back images: 9 3626...:wah
Am I missing something here???