• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Prettiest naked pickups?

trapland

I've always thought bare double creams were the prettiest pickups ever. I've only ever seen pictures of a couple sets and I think they are gorgeous.

I did have some odd brand Asian guitar that had them along with alternating layers of mahogany and maple like stripes and they looked great, but sounded like elephant farts.

If anyone knows of a way to "make" Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups in double cream,maven if it's from several donor pickups, how would you do it?

I also really like well played nickel covers. In fact, that's all I have. :)

garywright

there are such things as bobbin toppers that adhese to the pickup bobbin ...not sure what they look like in person or where you buy them though ...mslub posted a pic of one on his CC-Redeye

trapland

Bobbin toppers? Really? Wow, we really DO like what we like.
I'd love to see such a thing.

I'd also like to see pictured of double creams with notes about what exactly they are.

djangolad

Yeah but those bobbin toppers are really going to muddy up your sound...right?:ganz

Ryan Givhan

one zebra and one double white, best of both worlds. they are Smit's Handwound Guitar Pickups.
IMAG0379_zpsf642e352.jpg

trapland

My problem is that I could never bring myself to play anything other than Gibson pickups.

Why on earth doesn't Gibson contest the double cream as too much of an accident to patent or trademark. I'll bet they make more money selling double cream pickups than what it cost to fight Demario.

In my opinion Demario's claim to double cream is no different than if Ford trademarked black cars. After all they was a time in America when if you saw a black motor car, most people assumed it was a Ford.

Last edited:

Uncle Gary

I remember Harley-Davidson doing the same thing back in '93, when they decided to trademark the term "ape hangers" to denote the handlebars on the reissued Wide Glide. That term had been in the public domain at least since the '50's. I can remember seeing it in print as early as 1959 (and I remember, because at age 7 I didn't know what it meant-so it stuck with me). In the 60's, we all had "ape hangers" on our bicycles in emulation of the chopper style.

I'm no lawyer, so I don't understand how a company can take a term ( or appearance) which they didn't create, which had been in the public domain for many years, and trademark it for their exclusive use.

Stevedenver

cream or some variation, indeed
but, scream as you all will
I also liked the old Voodoo pickups Gibson offered in , I think, 1999
hot pink-
a stock hippie kinda luv.........

MikeSlub

Administrator
Bobbin Toppers are nifty. I've used them on a few geetars with great success. Here is the website:

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/bobbin.htm

Bobbin Toppers on my Jimmy Page #2 aged/signed LP:

bobbin_topper_2.JPG

Bobbin Topper on my Collector's Choice "Redeye" (color actually looks closer in person than it does in this flash photo):

cc%2316%20with%20bobbin%20topper.jpg