• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'08 Standards superceded?

Peter100

You will be sorry that you selled him; This is the only LP with an assymetric neck. So in a few years you get a lot of money for it, wait and see

Last edited:

Scott L

You will be sorry that you selled him; This is the only LP with an assymetric neck. So in a few years you get a lot of money for it, wait and see

The 2012 Standard also has an Asymmetrical Neck

unsleeper

"ASSY-METRIC" huh? No thanks, I'll stick with Butt Imperial if you don't mind....

laterider

The 2012 neck is still Asymmetrical - but a 60s Slim Taper carve.

Neck.jpg

The Chambers

modern-weight-relief.jpg

Thanks for these pics, now I want to try an asym neck!!!

As far as the chambers, do they have different meanings like ink blots....

Elliot Easton

Human nature is so interesting. It seems to me that the original poster was angry that the LP Standard specs have changed and that even though he likes the 2008 guitar he resents the changes for 2012. If I've got it wrong I'm sorry but that seems to be the gist of his dissatisfaction. Now let me ask a question: don't auto companies to the very same thing? Don't we expect it? It's the latest model with all the bells and whistles but does it render an older one obsolete or "less than" in some way? Who would want a new Chevy over a '57? It's so funny because the emphasis here is always "vintage is better" so now we're saying that new is better than recent vintage? It's silly. You can't get mad at a company for trying to stay ahead with new features, etc. That's how they stay in business and to their credit they do offer the Traditional with more of the older features. In 20 years those 2008 standards could appear to be very desirable and in demand: solid rosewood fingerboard, plek job, burstbuckers, great chambering for a sweet tone and nice light weight. What the heck is so bad? I'm keeping mine-I've done a lot of recording and gigging with them and they haven't let me down yet! I happen to think that they're fine guitars, from a relatively drama-free period in Gibson's history.

Soup's Uncle

I have a Standar that was built in 2008 but it's not the '08 Standard. It doesn't have the neutrik jack, asymetrical neck or plek'd fingerboard. Once I found out they were makingbthe changes I scrambled to buy a Standard with a 60's neck, thinking that I wouldn't be able to get a new Standard how I wanted it for a while. I love it and I'm glad I got it instead of the 08 which I have only heard bad things about.

D'Mule

I haven't really heard anything 'real' bad. Just general complaints that the Neutrik, or neck profile, or circuit board 'must' be inferior in some way.

I'd be interested to know how the jack and board are holding up on Elliot's guitar. Sounds like they still are doing their job.

Elliot Easton

I haven't really heard anything 'real' bad. Just general complaints that the Neutrik, or neck profile, or circuit board 'must' be inferior in some way.

I'd be interested to know how the jack and board are holding up on Elliot's guitar. Sounds like they still are doing their job.

i have 3: cherryburst, gold top and tobacco burst and they all work great. no problems at all and great tone. what can i say-i like them.

Bluebeard

I just had to point out too.....

In 5 minutes you can take the spring out of the Neutrik and render it as "just another" jack, no locking.

Sorry to revive a dead one! Long live the 08 Standard Club.

Kutt

The 2012 neck is still Asymmetrical - but a 60s Slim Taper carve.

The Chambers

modern-weight-relief.jpg

Lookee there! You get your own mini Flying V right smack there inside your chambered Les Paul. A twofer!

gdenton71

My '08 Standard Faded doesn't have the 'trik jack or digital internals, but feels and plays like a dream. I admit I don't understand the misguided, "purist" fanaticism for one construction technique or another. Does it look good to your eyes? Great, pick it up and close them. Does it "feel" good to you? Fantastic. Play it. :2zone

Doc Sausage

Over 16 months since the first post and I too have hung on to mine. No plans to sell. And the notion that one LP is really a relabled lesser or greater model is always going to be open to interpretation.

I can see the day when us boomers are but a footnote in history, someone saying, "That '59 Paul is nice but it ain't no '08!" Hey, one can dream, can't he?