• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

how long had you been playing before getting a les paul?

Ryan Givhan

it took me 6 years to get my first les paul (studio). and the only reason that i got one was because a guy that worked for my aunt and uncle (on their farm) skipped town and left his P.A. and les paul. the reason he left it is because my aunt and uncle bought it for him and he promised to pay them back, very stupid, i know. well i picked up the payments and got a P.A. that my band still uses for rehearsal 9 years later, and a les paul studio that was my main guitar for a few years and is still the backup to my R8.

Before i lucked into the studio i played tele's exclusively.

LAARS

I started playing guitar at 14, and got a Gibson L6 at 16 years old,

and got my first Les Paul at 18 years old. A 1971 Gold Top Deluxe.

Paid $200.00 for the L6 and $400.00 for the 71 gold top.

slater529

50 years for me.

I started playing on an old Stella acoustic guitar when I was 10 years old... that was 1961. I've played both nylon and steel string acoustic guitars all my life, and was never much interested in electric guitars until I bought a Telecaster in 2009. My first Les Paul was a Gold Top Deluxe I bought in 2011.

Jonny Rash

I still don't have one either after 25 years of playing! That is, unless you count a Epi Elitist LP Std (Japanese built). Just no real desire to own a Gibson LP. :couch

I do like how some of them look and sound, but I've never really bond with one. Well, not enough to want me shell out $4,000 for a CS R7 GT.

I guess I've never been a fan of the LP Std's thick body combined with a carved top. I've always prefered thinner, flat-top, slab bodies like the SG, Flying V, etc and I don't think they sound a whole lot different than a LP. :couch

However, I do have a LP Jr DC and SG VOS that says Les Paul on the headstock and TRC respectively.:rofl

John Vasco

About 7 years when I got my first Les Paul in March 1973. It was a 1969 LP Custom, serial number 893626. Should never have traded that one...

Photo taken summer '73.

Prior to that, my first electric was a Wilson ES335 copy:

Photo taken March '69.

And then a 1970 SG Standard:

Photo taken February '71.

PHILBERT

My older sisters had a great collection of classic albums that introduced me to that Les Paul tone. I knew that was "the tone". But even knowing that, I loved the way the SG looked (up till 69), so when I finally had enough money to get one I opted for a '68 SG in '77 (lots of lawns mowed) and played it until I had to sell it in '93. I jammed with a school friend who had a '68 or '69 LP that had a bucker mod in the bridge pickup and knew it was the better "lead tone", but I didn't get the desire to trade. A couple of other friends had Norlin LP's and I still didn't get the bug. Then I got an '82 korina V and a couple of whammy bar guitars when I went down metal road. Then was on hold after metal crashed and the family started. I got my first LP in 2001...an Epi. Started playing the classic rock I grew up on (lot of Zepp too) and realized that the Epi was not really getting it when a neighbor walked in with a new Gibson faded (satin finish) LP. That opened my eyes, and I got a 2001 Classic. I really started to dig what I was hearing for the first time since that '68 I tried. I have been through a few since, and love my Trad Pro II enough to be satisfied.

I officially started playing in '73 on my dad's acoustic, so it took 28 years! Besides, in my metal years I was not looking for that tone. I think the reason I didn't get one back in the classic years was due to a lack of good LP choices, and love for the SG looks (I still love the SG looks). I knew back then a '59 was way out of my means, and nothing but a golden era LP was going to do it for me. Today we have it pretty good with what is being made. :salude

Last edited:

roadhog96

Started out in 1964-65 cant remember which year exactly but it was right after the Beatles came to the USA. I played a Woolworth's guitar from Japan called Audition made by Zenon. Use to plug into my mom's Hi-Fi stereo console till I saved up enough for my first amp.. I bought the guitar with money from a paper route for $79.00. It was killer sounding through a Fender amp. Later on I was a Fender guy and didn't really get into Gibson's till about 38 years later. Time flies.

Red Rogue

It took me 8 years to bring me to the Les Paul. Once I startet with the classical guitar and changed to electric guitar in 1994 with a Fender Strat. Then I had two Framus Custom Modern Strats until 2002. Our bassist brought a friend with a Les Paul to the rehearsal room. After playing that guitar through my amp the virus has got me. It was the sound I was really looking for. I bought my first LP only a few month after that happening. Now I have three LP and have to stop me buying another one. They just feel and sound right!

wicked1

I was playing for around 4 years before I got my pancake body Norlin LP Deluxe. Prior to that was an early 60's Melody Maker my mother bought for me at a pawn shop for $65. A considerable expense back then. Back then I couldn't imagine owning a Gibson anything but my mom made it happen. I miss that guitar the most for sentimental reasons.

Reverend David

Oh God I played for about 12 years before I got my 1st LP and I've been playing for over 40 years now. After playing a crappy Hondo and other off brands growing up once I got ahold of a Fender strat and could actually hear the notes I was playing I dedicated myself to learning how to play better before plunking down the money for the coveted Les Paul. Still got my strats too but I think I've hit nirvana now :lol

http://www.rivercityrockets.com/revslespauls.html

:4zone

MikeSlub

Administrator
Old thread revived!

It was 26 years before I got my first Les Paul.

It's now been 21 years with Les Pauls - a lot of them. :)

Classic

I can't remember if I've already replied to this thread but I'll answer anyway.

I bought my '99 Gibson LP Classic in 2004 which means I'd been playing for 12 years. I don't think I'll ever sell the Classic. I now have 2 Les Paul's and been playing 20 years.

madformac

Spent years looking at the ad's with Sunburst Standards in guitar magazines as a kid.

Took up playing much later on in my mid twenties later on and got an Epiphone '56 Goldtop after about 8 months. Then about a year later had a couple of Studios and then a pretty bad Standard. Never really got into them, or maybe I was too inexperienced at the time to understand them. Anyway over the years drifted into PRS and some custom stuff from Rick Turner and John Suhr but Strats were my mainstay as I had it in my head Les Pauls were not for me.

Earlier this year I tried an R8 in London and liked it, then got an R9 that blew me away. Guess over the 14 years away from them I matured! Now I can't see anything moving them from my go to instrument. The bug has bitten and this is the start of an expensive era in my life (along with my Manchester United season ticket!) loll

Old thread revived!

It was 26 years before I got my first Les Paul.

It's now been 21 years with Les Pauls - a lot of them. :)

Mike, what triggered the passion to start collecting them? Did you just get the feeling "Yeah this is it for me, finally it feels/looks/sounds/plays right?"

MikeSlub

Administrator
Mike, what triggered the passion to start collecting them? Did you just get the feeling "Yeah this is it for me, finally it feels/looks/sounds/plays right?"

I think it is a simple case of obsessive/compulsive disorder. :rofl