• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Iconic Norlins:

Elmore

That is good news, Big Al. That is what I thought. Michael Schenker and his customized Gibson Flying V.
For those of you unfamiliar with Michael Schenker, listen to the guitar solo on this one from 1978. Solo starts about a third of the way through.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0OatiI5XcE

Schenker_001_zps69107e86.jpg

Last edited:

Pat Boyack

I love Randy Rhodes. He was up there with Van Halen in the early 80's. At least I thought so. Now when I hear his tone on those records and that MXR distortion I like them less and less. Perhaps it's the fact I'm getting older and my ears are hearing things differently. Or that my ears are finer tuned.......yeah, that's it.

Tonebender

There's quite a few contenders, but Page with the EDS-1275 is IT. Think about the tracks it was used on live: Stairway, The Song Remains the Same, Celebration day (around `71), Sick Again, Tangerine (Earl's Court `75). In the studio it only made one appearance on Carouselambra. And let's face it, it's a Zeppelin guitar. That alone puts it above the others.

Elmore

I love Randy Rhodes. He was up there with Van Halen in the early 80's. At least I thought so. Now when I hear his tone on those records and that MXR distortion I like them less and less. Perhaps it's the fact I'm getting older and my ears are hearing things differently. Or that my ears are finer tuned.......yeah, that's it.

Pat, I agree. Same thing with me. I chalk it up to starting to like vintage sounds more and more. But the player really shines through the equipment, past a certain point. I saw RR in 1981 and was floored. I had seen EVH in '79. And EVH was really something to behold in '79. RR was just as good, in a different way. He just played those gothic scales in such a cool way. One of a kind.

mistersnappy

There's quite a few contenders, but Page with the EDS-1275 is IT. Think about the tracks it was used on live: Stairway, The Song Remains the Same, Celebration day (around `71), Sick Again, Tangerine (Earl's Court `75). In the studio it only made one appearance on Carouselambra. And let's face it, it's a Zeppelin guitar. That alone puts it above the others.

That EDS is Norlin? :hmm :wah

J.D.

Yes IIRC "Stairway" was recorded on a Fender Electric XII and the doubleneck was ordered in order to perform it live.

Tonebender

I always thought it was a 60's EDS too, but apparently it was custom ordered in late '70 after Stairway To Heaven was recorded. It does have a Norlin serial #911117 :hmm

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/studio-and-live-gear/1036

I don't wonder though, if it was leftover or pre-made parts just waiting for an order. They were on a made to order basis at that point. It would explain how it had pre-Norlin features and how it was made so quickly. OR since the tooling hadn't been changed or updated for it yet, it was just old tooling in use that's responsible. Regardless, it was built in the Norlin era so it's a Norlin.

frenchphil

bad news!! ace frehley just sold his iconic 1974 custom, the budokan alive 2 guitar!!

he sold it!!

so this iconic norlin is the hands of a collector, maybe someone on this forum

who knows

FourT6and2

I've heard of maybe two people in this thread...

Out of all of them, I'd say Adam Jones' Silverburst is probably the most ubiquitous. Something that is iconic is something that most people would recognize. If you have to be a member of the "informed" to know what it is, it's not iconic. Show any average joe-musician a photo of some of these people and you'll get blank stares back. Show 'em a photo of Adam Jones and people will most likely know who it is or at least the band. And band's sound is certainly an icon of the genre.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
I'd agree but I'm really not familiar w/Adam Jones or his Les Paul. I'd put Ace & RR & their guitars on that list, though. But that's about it.

vintage58

Can't stand the band, but I would imagine that the RD bass qualifies as an iconic Norlin:

fnfu.jpg