• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

LP Custom - all Mahogany / or Mahogany/Maple

Schneidas15

Hi guys,

Were there LP customs (black) with all Mahogany bodies instead of Mahogany/Maple combo (both with Mahogany neck and Ebony board)?

Which are rated as better? Which do YOU prefer?

I have only played the Mahogany/Maple combo and loved it!
However, as I was thinking about a custom built and thought about doing it all-Mahogany instead of Mahogany/Maple...

Would appreciate any opinions on this one!

Progrocker111

All 50s and early 1960 LP Customs were with all mahogany body. First maple capped Custom occured in 68. But still in 72/73 the 54 reissue had all mahogany body, exactly like the 90s until 2011 57 Custom reissues.

Allmahogany bodied Custom has a bit darker and more mid heavy tone, perhaps a bit woodier, but still with great note separation and clarity cause of the ebony fretboard. A bit different animals than maple capped Standards.

Billy Porter

All 50s and early 1960 LP Customs were with all mahogany body. First maple capped Custom occured in 68. But still in 72/73 the 54 reissue had all mahogany body, exactly like the 90s until 2011 57 Custom reissues.

Allmahogany bodied Custom has a bit darker and more mid heavy tone, perhaps a bit woodier, but still with great note separation and clarity cause of the ebony fretboard. A bit different animals than maple capped Standards.

+1 What he said

I built an S type guitar from a 1 piece blank of African Mahogany as an attempt to make a jack of all trades i.e. Strat / Les Paul

Ended up sounding like an SG :rofl

tom

I also built a s type out of mahogany with triple p90. great tone. it covers all the bases for me...

Wally

Schneidas15, to add to the facts stated above concerning mahogany Customs versus maple-capped Standards...
Les Paul disagreed with Gibson on that. He wanted the STandards to be all-mahogany while he thought the 'upscale' Custom should have the maple cap. Gibson did it the other way....until much later as noted above.
The maple cap imparts a sharper attack and some high harmonics that the mahogany doesn't yield....given mahogany of the same density in both examples, of course.

Mr. Papa

I think all-mahogany guitars have a well deserved following for that meaty, chunk-a-chunk sound they deliver. An SG definitely doesn't sound like a LP, but it does sound awesome and I often wish I had both. An all-hog LP might sound like a good idea, but I'd rather have an SG and a maple cap LP than make a compromise that really doesn't get to either...unless you want that softer high end attack.
I have a Custom reissue and the combo of maple cap and ebony board makes for a very distinctive and clear neck position tone.

Elliot Easton

Just for some perspective, Cream's "Disraeli Gears" was cut with a triple pickup Black Beauty and the Fool SG. All mahogany, no maple caps and yet some razor sharp highs. Right?

Flogger

Just for some perspective, Cream's "Disraeli Gears" was cut with a triple pickup Black Beauty and the Fool SG. All mahogany, no maple caps and yet some razor sharp highs. Right?

I would chalk that up to amp design, and recording stacks with Neumanns from 20'.

reswot

Schneidas15, to add to the facts stated above concerning mahogany Customs versus maple-capped Standards...
Les Paul disagreed with Gibson on that. He wanted the STandards to be all-mahogany while he thought the 'upscale' Custom should have the maple cap. Gibson did it the other way....until much later as noted above.

One of Les' stories after-the-fact. There's no evidence that there was any plan for a multi-model series at the outset of what we now know as the Les Paul. The thing was prototyped as a mahogany/maple model and that's what Les was shown when the deal was made.

The Custom was developed a full two years later. Gibson wasn't "sitting" on it and just waiting to spring it on the public.

Elliot Easton

If an expensive Neumann microphone is working properly, wouldn't it be "hearing" the sound being produced with great accuracy? No, I think all mahogany Les Pauls can slice with best of them.

progger

I have 2 all mahogany LPC "fretless wonder" RI's and they don't reflect the "darker/middy" reputation at all. They're at least equally bright along side my maple tops. Pickups/pickup height, caps, pots? I don't really care. I don't have a great deal of faith in "common wisdom", best to play 'em and listen to what your ear is telling you.

becks bolero

I would chalk that up to amp design, and recording stacks with Neumanns from 20'.

I'm pretty sure a lot of EC's lead tones on that album were recorded DI, I hear that distinctive fizz that you can't get thru a mic. well, unless you also overload the mixing board

but I could be wrong

*edit* I owned an all-mahog 57 RI LPC for a while, it sounded great. now own an all mahog Heritage H157 and it sounds great as well.